I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dealing with puppy fat, tummy fat, muscle wastage, hot flushes, hair loss, fatigue and other.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2023 at 17:13

Hi,

I was diagnosed back in June 2023, at the age of 61 I became increasingly aware of a need to get up several times per night to have a pee and deciding to get it checked out. I'm Gleason 'high 7' (4&3), T3a N1 M0 (click on my profile for full 'bed time reading' history). This community site has been so useful to me - thanks all, reading the experiences of others to get an idea of what to expect etc. Anyway, I've finally decided that it's time to post my own conversation something that I have been reflecting on over the last week or so. And it's really a question about side effects being experienced to compare with those that other members are experiencing or have experienced and how they deal with them and to which particular med the side effects might be attributed to.

My reflection started with the wife who pointed out to me last week that my  face was puffing up, like with 'puppy fat' - tremendous! Also, I'm getting a flabby belly spread like a beer belly except more 'flabby'. And it's not as if I am stuffing myself with cakes or drinking gallons of beer! Should have mentioned the meds I'm on - doh!!🙄. I commenced on 3 years worth of 3 monthly Prostap injections 11 weeks ago following a few weeks of bicalutimide tablets. And I'm on alendronic acid with the Adcal tablets. And tamsulosin. I've just had chemo cycle 5 out of 6 (Docetaxel with Prednisolone). 

Having done some reading, I reckon that much of the puppy fat could be attributed to the prednisolone and if so might I expect an easing of the 'puppy/belly' fat once I stop taking that after completing chemo? Or is it really the Prostap that is mostly causing this and therefore should I expect 3+ more years of fat expansion? At the moment, I am doing my best to try mitigate this by upping my exercising 🚴‍♀️🐾 but it is not working yet - granted it's early days though.

I'm putting the hot flushes down to the prostap which seem to be increasing in regularity and becoming really 'hot burners' especially at night, having to throw the duvet off several times only to then have to retrieve it when all goes cold again. So is it the best part of 3 more years to expect with that as well then?

The muscle wastage and lack of energy, again must be the postrap and of course the docetaxel. It's getting harder to lift the legs when walking the dogs up hills and definitely harder on the bike. I'm hoping that this will improve once the chemo cycles complete, leaving me to have to fight the prostap effects - so that's the best part of 3 years to expect again for that then?   

The fatigue / extreme tiredness, at the moment must be a direct result of the docetaxel. A regular pattern following each chemo cycle where I get totally wiped out on days 3 and 4 followed by very slow recovery over the remaining week. Luckily for me days 3 and 4 coincide with the weekend, so I can flake out with the footy on the TV. I'm expecting the fatigue effects to ease considerably once the chemo completes. Although, I will then be having radiotherapy which will bring a whole new set of side effects to look forward to! 

I have other side effects which again can probably be attributed to the Prostap, such as my private bits shrivelling up (good job I'm not wanting to audition for the Full Monty and good luck to the nurse who will have to find it to put in a cathetar when I have the brachy knock out).

And of course, there's the hair loss caused by the chemo. I went for the cold cap in an attempt to preserve what little head hair I have. So far so good, it works and I found it tolerable, you just need to get to the 15 minute mark and the body seems to adapt and get used to it, then you can do it. Other, body hair has largely fallen out, and unlike Billy Connelly's observation of his, my willy no longer looks like Stewart Grainger more like Kojak's 😄.  

Not to mention loss of taste, probably caused by the docetaxel. I try to get some taste experience by having the wife's hottest vindaloos, but otherwise food is pretty bland and I hope this improves after the chemo completes 🤞.

Apologies, a bit of rambling post but please reply with your experiences especially if you are further on the treatment trail than me.

Thanks

Spongebob

User
Posted 26 Oct 2023 at 17:13

Hi,

I was diagnosed back in June 2023, at the age of 61 I became increasingly aware of a need to get up several times per night to have a pee and deciding to get it checked out. I'm Gleason 'high 7' (4&3), T3a N1 M0 (click on my profile for full 'bed time reading' history). This community site has been so useful to me - thanks all, reading the experiences of others to get an idea of what to expect etc. Anyway, I've finally decided that it's time to post my own conversation something that I have been reflecting on over the last week or so. And it's really a question about side effects being experienced to compare with those that other members are experiencing or have experienced and how they deal with them and to which particular med the side effects might be attributed to.

My reflection started with the wife who pointed out to me last week that my  face was puffing up, like with 'puppy fat' - tremendous! Also, I'm getting a flabby belly spread like a beer belly except more 'flabby'. And it's not as if I am stuffing myself with cakes or drinking gallons of beer! Should have mentioned the meds I'm on - doh!!🙄. I commenced on 3 years worth of 3 monthly Prostap injections 11 weeks ago following a few weeks of bicalutimide tablets. And I'm on alendronic acid with the Adcal tablets. And tamsulosin. I've just had chemo cycle 5 out of 6 (Docetaxel with Prednisolone). 

Having done some reading, I reckon that much of the puppy fat could be attributed to the prednisolone and if so might I expect an easing of the 'puppy/belly' fat once I stop taking that after completing chemo? Or is it really the Prostap that is mostly causing this and therefore should I expect 3+ more years of fat expansion? At the moment, I am doing my best to try mitigate this by upping my exercising 🚴‍♀️🐾 but it is not working yet - granted it's early days though.

I'm putting the hot flushes down to the prostap which seem to be increasing in regularity and becoming really 'hot burners' especially at night, having to throw the duvet off several times only to then have to retrieve it when all goes cold again. So is it the best part of 3 more years to expect with that as well then?

The muscle wastage and lack of energy, again must be the postrap and of course the docetaxel. It's getting harder to lift the legs when walking the dogs up hills and definitely harder on the bike. I'm hoping that this will improve once the chemo cycles complete, leaving me to have to fight the prostap effects - so that's the best part of 3 years to expect again for that then?   

The fatigue / extreme tiredness, at the moment must be a direct result of the docetaxel. A regular pattern following each chemo cycle where I get totally wiped out on days 3 and 4 followed by very slow recovery over the remaining week. Luckily for me days 3 and 4 coincide with the weekend, so I can flake out with the footy on the TV. I'm expecting the fatigue effects to ease considerably once the chemo completes. Although, I will then be having radiotherapy which will bring a whole new set of side effects to look forward to! 

I have other side effects which again can probably be attributed to the Prostap, such as my private bits shrivelling up (good job I'm not wanting to audition for the Full Monty and good luck to the nurse who will have to find it to put in a cathetar when I have the brachy knock out).

And of course, there's the hair loss caused by the chemo. I went for the cold cap in an attempt to preserve what little head hair I have. So far so good, it works and I found it tolerable, you just need to get to the 15 minute mark and the body seems to adapt and get used to it, then you can do it. Other, body hair has largely fallen out, and unlike Billy Connelly's observation of his, my willy no longer looks like Stewart Grainger more like Kojak's 😄.  

Not to mention loss of taste, probably caused by the docetaxel. I try to get some taste experience by having the wife's hottest vindaloos, but otherwise food is pretty bland and I hope this improves after the chemo completes 🤞.

Apologies, a bit of rambling post but please reply with your experiences especially if you are further on the treatment trail than me.

Thanks

Spongebob

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 21:22
I think the answer to almost all of your questions is yes - yes, the puffiness & puppy fat will be down to the steroids and yes, the additional flabbiness, muscle wastage and fatigue is mostly down to the Prostap. As you have worked out, the chemo also has some responsibility.

Whether this is it for the full 3 years depends a bit on you & your physical make-up. The prostap is feminising your body - that includes your ligaments softening to allow for child-bearing and a change to the way muscle develops. Reducing high-impact exercise and increasing low-impact exercise can help with weight control, mental wellbeing, flexibility and can also combat fatigue. A piece of PCUK research a few years ago identified swimming as really good low-impact activity.

Sometimes, people don't understand how debilitating HT-induced fatigue can be. It is worth calling the PCUK nurses to talk about this and the research they did as they will have ideas of things that might help.

Re loss of taste - have you been freezing chunks of fresh pineapple to suck during the infusions? If not, it may be too late now for the taste buds that have already been damaged but perhaps still worth giving it a go? Don't eat loads of pineapple if you have any heart problems though!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 17:23
Hi,

Yes, thanks for confirming my thoughts. I think I just hit a point last week when I sat down and took stock of all the things that are happening to my body with a sobering realisation of the magnitude of the situation, particularly the 'need to be in it for the long haul' which is really hitting home. There is no quick fix and unfortunately means that my body will continue on a road of radical change in physique, strength and fitness. The fatigue is a massive impact, I really try to keep active to try to mitigate this, not swimming, that was my son's game as he was a competitive swimmer as a kid (my job was taxi driver and spent many, many hours sat in and around swimming pools). Instead, I try get out for long daily walks and try to keep going on the mountain bike but I can tell particularly with the bike how much off the pace I have quickly become - still, I'm persevering, it's not a race after all!

Re-loss of taste, I might have seen the pineapple tip before but unfortunately no, I've forgotten it and not tried it. I've found that the impact on taste has increased with the number of chemo cycles, though actually not that bad to start with but now after chemo no 5, most food that I previously enjoyed is now tasteless and a brew (cup of tea) is pretty disgusting to boot! I have just got one chemo cycle left, under the current plan anyway, so I'll ride it out and hope that my taste is restored at some point.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 16:20

Hi Jasper,

5 years!!! Wow, that is a reality check. Mind you 11 miles is good going in anyone's book especially if it includes some hills, we can make the best of that and I guess that others just need to be accommodating when trying to get them legs moving up hill. One of my life long ambitions is to walk the Pennine Way, in fact I was planning to do it this summer but that plan was very much scuppered by my PCa diagnosis. I do hope to be able to get enough fitness back to be able to attempt that at some point, post treatment in the future. It would still be do-able at 11 miles a day.

Glad to hear that you found that the taste does come back once the docetaxel is all completed, I was beginning to worry about the prospect of not been able to properly appreciate the taste of a decent pint ever again - what a nightmare that would be! And, yep having to learn to live with the hot flushes, mine are turning into proper furnace burners, and they seem to have got worse over the last 2-3 weeks, I wonder whether they do get worse towards the end of each 12 week cycle? Anyway, I'm permanently dripping sweat and I'm generating enough heat to power half the country - who needs wind power when for perfect green energy all the govt need to do is wire up all the PCa guys on HT to the Grid? 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 16:44

Hi Olefogey,

Glad to hear that you are well on the way out the 'other side', it is encouraging to hear that at some point we can expect some return towards our previous levels of self. It is the 'long road' nature of the treatment and the associated huge impact on the body that is currently hitting home for me. Not being able to do things anywhere near previous levels or even do them at all is what I am trying deal with. And, you will be pleased about the welcome return of body hair, although I think that possibly the only positive impact of all the side effects is the loss of nasal and ear hair, something to raise a glass to.

You raise a good point about this whole business being something that generally impacts us 'old gits' and being of that age even in normal circumstances it is incredibly difficult to achieve the higher levels fitness. We need to be realistic, I guess with our hopes and expectations. Without using flashy diagrams I do gauge myself against benchmarks as per your good suggestion. For me it might be in terms of how easy I find it walking or biking to a certain point. It's certainly something that I have found myself doing during the chemo, in order to make a mental note of how I am progressing against each cycle. 

Yep, we do need to find our ways of coping with all this, I try not to think about the alternative.

User
Posted 04 Nov 2023 at 02:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I try get out for long daily walks and try to keep going on the mountain bike but I can tell particularly with the bike how much off the pace I have quickly become - still, I'm persevering

There's something about the loss of hormones plus the loss of muscles that adds up to an odd sort of mental frustration. I ride using Strava and performance decline was particularly noticeable with sets of figures being unavoidable. It helps to do things that aren't comparable with your past performance. I don't know if you go to a gym but that can definitely help exercise muscle groups that you don't use much in daily life. Loss of strength in the upper body seems more insidious than in your legs which always get some sort of exercise.

Loss of testosterone knocks back the competititive motivation factor I think. What can work for motivation is to get into running for fundraisers and events that give external inspiration when it's hard to battle your own system which is intent on turning you into a blob of fat. There was one here in Australia for prostate cancer that set a goal of 70km running over a month. Easy enough until you miss a few opportunities and an incentive to run further.

I bought a Cannondale Neo 1 road bike. Same Bosch motor as the Whyte and just a completely new riding experience. I'm 76 with my hormones just returning 8 months after the end of my HT treatment and I'm getting quite a kick out of the fact that it's possible to exercise and get a result, rather than feeling your body is just rejecting the idea of physical fitness.

You will almost inevitably be on a slow muscular decline while you're on these drugs but if you keep the exercise up during this period it will give a you a springboard for your post HT life. I have a feeling that it would be easy just to do nothing during the HT period and come out the other side physically 10 years older, possibly without noticing it too much because of not realizing the performance decline.

Exercise helps with the hot flushes and the fatigue [though the latter is a real battle with your body's own ideas]. Hair loss ... ha, nothing helps so far as I know but it's a bit so what.

All the best for getting through and recovering from your "experience" Spongebob.

Jules

Edited by member 04 Nov 2023 at 22:39  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 07:56

Spongebob, sorry I can't really help with any answers but a reply will push you back up the list. What I find intriguing is that similarities in diagnosis but vast difference in treatment.

The only drugs I have had is bicalutamide and apart from the sore nipples and a change in sexual desire the effects have been minimal.

Wishing you well for the future.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 12:12

Hi Chris, 
Thanks for the post, appreciate the attempt to get the post up the list 😬. I guess I wasn’t expecting too much as most topics have been done to their core. Still, it was good therapy for me to post some rambling thoughts.

Yes I was initially put on the bicalutamide tablets briefly so couldn’t properly gauge the side effects of that as I was soon shifted onto prostap - all good fun (not!).

cheers

Ian

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 21:22
I think the answer to almost all of your questions is yes - yes, the puffiness & puppy fat will be down to the steroids and yes, the additional flabbiness, muscle wastage and fatigue is mostly down to the Prostap. As you have worked out, the chemo also has some responsibility.

Whether this is it for the full 3 years depends a bit on you & your physical make-up. The prostap is feminising your body - that includes your ligaments softening to allow for child-bearing and a change to the way muscle develops. Reducing high-impact exercise and increasing low-impact exercise can help with weight control, mental wellbeing, flexibility and can also combat fatigue. A piece of PCUK research a few years ago identified swimming as really good low-impact activity.

Sometimes, people don't understand how debilitating HT-induced fatigue can be. It is worth calling the PCUK nurses to talk about this and the research they did as they will have ideas of things that might help.

Re loss of taste - have you been freezing chunks of fresh pineapple to suck during the infusions? If not, it may be too late now for the taste buds that have already been damaged but perhaps still worth giving it a go? Don't eat loads of pineapple if you have any heart problems though!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 17:23
Hi,

Yes, thanks for confirming my thoughts. I think I just hit a point last week when I sat down and took stock of all the things that are happening to my body with a sobering realisation of the magnitude of the situation, particularly the 'need to be in it for the long haul' which is really hitting home. There is no quick fix and unfortunately means that my body will continue on a road of radical change in physique, strength and fitness. The fatigue is a massive impact, I really try to keep active to try to mitigate this, not swimming, that was my son's game as he was a competitive swimmer as a kid (my job was taxi driver and spent many, many hours sat in and around swimming pools). Instead, I try get out for long daily walks and try to keep going on the mountain bike but I can tell particularly with the bike how much off the pace I have quickly become - still, I'm persevering, it's not a race after all!

Re-loss of taste, I might have seen the pineapple tip before but unfortunately no, I've forgotten it and not tried it. I've found that the impact on taste has increased with the number of chemo cycles, though actually not that bad to start with but now after chemo no 5, most food that I previously enjoyed is now tasteless and a brew (cup of tea) is pretty disgusting to boot! I have just got one chemo cycle left, under the current plan anyway, so I'll ride it out and hope that my taste is restored at some point.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 22:14

Hi SpongeBob,

If you’re struggling on the bike, get yourself an e-bike. I know as a cyclist you might think it’s cheating but the thing is, the more you put into it, the more response you get back. So, if you still want a good workout, when it comes to a hill climb go at with all the power you can muster and you’ll be surprised at the feedback you get from the motor and the total exhilaration you get from reaching the top. 
I know too when I’m having a bad day with low energy I can still go out and have some fun, and come back feeling much better but not exhausted.

The HT has really got to me and having a serious affect on my QOL, especially the joint issues but I’m determined like yourself to keep going…there’s nothing else for it!

Good luck…

Derek

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 07:27
Hi SpongeBob I can relate to all your going through, puffiness is the steroids, it will go away when you stop taking them

Taste is restored a couple of weeks after finishing docetaxel.

Unfortunately 5 years post chemo I still really struggle up hills

I walked 11 miles on Saturday with no ill effects but going up a long steep hill was knackering when pre diagnosis I would sail up a slope.

I've just put it down to the chemo taking away my stamina permanently.

Hot flushes after 5 years I've accepted as a way of life.

Good luck with your ongoing treatment.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 10:25

Hi Spongebob,

I didn't have the chemo leg of the trip, but I had 2.5  years on some combination of Bical, Prostap and Zolodex,  so I recognise all that part of your  symptom set. I am just coming out the other side- the last injection flushed out 12  months ago, and I can see clear signs of recovery: testosterone is back to good levels; body hair is growing back ; libido is returning and hot flushes are less severe and less frequent. But there is no denying that its a longish process.

One of the issues is that we tend to notice the adverse effects kicking in quite quickly, but the recovery is both piecemeal and gradual, so it is easy to feel bad about the decline, but much harder to take note of, and appreciate, the improvements ( when they do come). The other bitter pill is that in some areas you may not get back to exactly where you were before. Fact is that we here are  all of a certain age, and while losing things like muscle and body tone is quite easy, it becomes harder and harder to get it back. 

If you are a data and diagrams sort of guy, you can do worse than draw yourself some spider-web diagrams, with the various symptoms or performance indicators as axes, and markers on a 1 to 10 scale reflecting where you think you are on each one. It can help you be a bit more objective, and  less emotional, about it all, and can provide some perspective on progress in due course. 

Although it is very useful to try to see your self in comparison with fellow sufferers,   in practice the only thing that matters is your own progress and how you get your mind round it all. As you will see from loads of posts on here, everyone is different- physically, mentally and emotionally. The effects of HT are, for most of us, an  inconvenience and a frustration; but they are better than the alternative..... 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 16:03

Hi Decho,

Yes, the E-Bike is definitely the way to go. Up until my diagnosis, in a state of semi-retirement I managed to get out regularly again on the MTB with an old school buddy. Over the course of a year or so we surprised ourselves by managing to get out and about along trails in the Yorks Dales that we used to do every Saturday some donkeys years ago. Amazing, that at age 60, a couple of doddery old gits could still get up them hills, albeit very slowly and with some pushing. We were quite happy doing that under our own steam and fending off the day when we might decide to upgrade to E-bikes. Also, a couple of my other mates do have E-bikes and they now swear by them, not surprisingly because E-bikes are a game changer aren't they? The two types of bike don't mix very well though, when the E-bikers come out with us the going is much too slow for them (TBF they don't moan about it) after all they can go much faster, go farther and get up hills easily. 

I'll keep going and see what happens, once my radiotherapy completes, hopefully around Feb next year I'll try again to get fit enough to go out on these routes again. If I find that I'm lagging too far behind then yes I'll have to raid the pot and and go E-bike. I have my eye on the very one as well, it's a Whyte E-505, mind you it's £3.5k!!! The price of a small car (or a summer house in 'wife world'), how do I hide that from the wife?

I notice your comment on joint issues, I haven't had any noticeable joint impact yet, except some pain in the hips immediately following some chemo cycles which the Onco wrote off as something that might be expected. So something else then to watch out for over the next 3 years or so.   

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 16:20

Hi Jasper,

5 years!!! Wow, that is a reality check. Mind you 11 miles is good going in anyone's book especially if it includes some hills, we can make the best of that and I guess that others just need to be accommodating when trying to get them legs moving up hill. One of my life long ambitions is to walk the Pennine Way, in fact I was planning to do it this summer but that plan was very much scuppered by my PCa diagnosis. I do hope to be able to get enough fitness back to be able to attempt that at some point, post treatment in the future. It would still be do-able at 11 miles a day.

Glad to hear that you found that the taste does come back once the docetaxel is all completed, I was beginning to worry about the prospect of not been able to properly appreciate the taste of a decent pint ever again - what a nightmare that would be! And, yep having to learn to live with the hot flushes, mine are turning into proper furnace burners, and they seem to have got worse over the last 2-3 weeks, I wonder whether they do get worse towards the end of each 12 week cycle? Anyway, I'm permanently dripping sweat and I'm generating enough heat to power half the country - who needs wind power when for perfect green energy all the govt need to do is wire up all the PCa guys on HT to the Grid? 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 16:44

Hi Olefogey,

Glad to hear that you are well on the way out the 'other side', it is encouraging to hear that at some point we can expect some return towards our previous levels of self. It is the 'long road' nature of the treatment and the associated huge impact on the body that is currently hitting home for me. Not being able to do things anywhere near previous levels or even do them at all is what I am trying deal with. And, you will be pleased about the welcome return of body hair, although I think that possibly the only positive impact of all the side effects is the loss of nasal and ear hair, something to raise a glass to.

You raise a good point about this whole business being something that generally impacts us 'old gits' and being of that age even in normal circumstances it is incredibly difficult to achieve the higher levels fitness. We need to be realistic, I guess with our hopes and expectations. Without using flashy diagrams I do gauge myself against benchmarks as per your good suggestion. For me it might be in terms of how easy I find it walking or biking to a certain point. It's certainly something that I have found myself doing during the chemo, in order to make a mental note of how I am progressing against each cycle. 

Yep, we do need to find our ways of coping with all this, I try not to think about the alternative.

User
Posted 04 Nov 2023 at 02:29

I try get out for long daily walks and try to keep going on the mountain bike but I can tell particularly with the bike how much off the pace I have quickly become - still, I'm persevering

There's something about the loss of hormones plus the loss of muscles that adds up to an odd sort of mental frustration. I ride using Strava and performance decline was particularly noticeable with sets of figures being unavoidable. It helps to do things that aren't comparable with your past performance. I don't know if you go to a gym but that can definitely help exercise muscle groups that you don't use much in daily life. Loss of strength in the upper body seems more insidious than in your legs which always get some sort of exercise.

Loss of testosterone knocks back the competititive motivation factor I think. What can work for motivation is to get into running for fundraisers and events that give external inspiration when it's hard to battle your own system which is intent on turning you into a blob of fat. There was one here in Australia for prostate cancer that set a goal of 70km running over a month. Easy enough until you miss a few opportunities and an incentive to run further.

I bought a Cannondale Neo 1 road bike. Same Bosch motor as the Whyte and just a completely new riding experience. I'm 76 with my hormones just returning 8 months after the end of my HT treatment and I'm getting quite a kick out of the fact that it's possible to exercise and get a result, rather than feeling your body is just rejecting the idea of physical fitness.

You will almost inevitably be on a slow muscular decline while you're on these drugs but if you keep the exercise up during this period it will give a you a springboard for your post HT life. I have a feeling that it would be easy just to do nothing during the HT period and come out the other side physically 10 years older, possibly without noticing it too much because of not realizing the performance decline.

Exercise helps with the hot flushes and the fatigue [though the latter is a real battle with your body's own ideas]. Hair loss ... ha, nothing helps so far as I know but it's a bit so what.

All the best for getting through and recovering from your "experience" Spongebob.

Jules

Edited by member 04 Nov 2023 at 22:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 23:00

Hi Jules, 

Thanks for your insights, it’s good to hear encouraging experiences from someone who is out the other side of HT. It sounds like you are doing really well at 76 getting out and about on a Cannondale mean machine! My MTB buddy uses the strava app and always sends me the link after doing a route, it does give full detailed breakdown - very impressive (wish I’d invented it). I bet there’s plenty good trails to go at over there in Oz, mind you I’d always be worried about the spiders!

I’m getting around to believe more and more that exercise/activity is a key ‘tool’ for dealing with this thing. I agree that the easiest thing to do would be to sit back. Understandable, but I’m not going to do that, I’ll be doing my best to keep active. But it is disconcerting, seeing the weight gain, muscle wastage and basic reduction in muscular strength. I think I might look at some upper body exercises as you suggest as all my stuff is walk and bike.

Anyway, I’m just at the end of a week family holiday in Norfolk (one of the kids at Uni in Norwich, so we were able to pick him up whilst he was on a ‘reading week,) - that’s family walks around the Broads - I struggled sometimes to keep up with them, but much of that I hope is still down to the chemo. Interesting too that I didn’t need to shave until after 5 days- incredible!

Cheers

Ian

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 00:03

family walks around the Broads - I struggled sometimes to keep up with them,

I'd say that's one of the things I found most frustrating ... so basic, just being able to walk up a slight hill and it's not as though all our muscles disappear but if you know what's happening and don't punish yourself about it, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Jules

PS the spiders aren't too bad really. It's the Drop Bears you have to look out for.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 09:44

Ha ha - hopefully a good old fashioned crash hat will do its job against a drop bear? Fortunately, we don’t seem to have drop bears in the UK, probably due to too much rain, too wet for them. Also, too many squirrels in the trees here 🐿️, they don’t leave anything else for other critters to eat.