I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just heard

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 13:14

Just got the news that it has probably metastasized. They are ordering a scan or two. In shock. Google says 50% 5 year survival etc etc About to be besieged by treatment advice etc etc, guinea-pig for trials etc etc, what does the NHS offer etc etc NICE slow to release etc etc .... aagghh!   

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 13:14

Just got the news that it has probably metastasized. They are ordering a scan or two. In shock. Google says 50% 5 year survival etc etc About to be besieged by treatment advice etc etc, guinea-pig for trials etc etc, what does the NHS offer etc etc NICE slow to release etc etc .... aagghh!   

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 13:22

Well that won't be good news, but best wait for all the scan results etc to be sure what you are dealing with.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 21:10
Difficult to judge until you have the scans and know for sure. But keep in mind that
a) different types of mets have hugely different implications re survival times. E.g., bone mets may not be as life-shortening as lymphatic spread and the chance of being around many years from now is far higher with bone or lymph than it would be if you have mets in the soft organs (brain, liver, kidneys, lung)

b) 5 years may be a Dr Google prediction but we have men here who have stuck around for well over 10 years with mets - some even for 15 years +

Key message is don't panic until you have something factual to base that on!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 29 Oct 2023 at 17:09

Many thanks for support and info. I will know in about month.

Cheers,

Otto

User
Posted 03 Nov 2023 at 14:59

Hi Otto, I've had 4and a half years with advanced PC which has metastasized into my bones. The treatment I'm under (3monthly Zoladex and now arbiraterone) have so far kept it in check. They have to keep me going for at least 6 more months cos I booked tickets yesterday to see Bruce Springsteen in May 24. Seriously though, I met a guy at my PC support group who had a similar diagnosis to mine in 2013!! As my onco says, everyone's cancer is different. Wait for your results.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 13:22

Well that won't be good news, but best wait for all the scan results etc to be sure what you are dealing with.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 21:10
Difficult to judge until you have the scans and know for sure. But keep in mind that
a) different types of mets have hugely different implications re survival times. E.g., bone mets may not be as life-shortening as lymphatic spread and the chance of being around many years from now is far higher with bone or lymph than it would be if you have mets in the soft organs (brain, liver, kidneys, lung)

b) 5 years may be a Dr Google prediction but we have men here who have stuck around for well over 10 years with mets - some even for 15 years +

Key message is don't panic until you have something factual to base that on!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 29 Oct 2023 at 17:09

Many thanks for support and info. I will know in about month.

Cheers,

Otto

User
Posted 02 Nov 2023 at 16:49

I'm really sorry to hear about this. It's essential to wait for the scan results and consult with healthcare professionals to understand your specific situation.

Edited by member 02 Nov 2023 at 16:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Nov 2023 at 14:59

Hi Otto, I've had 4and a half years with advanced PC which has metastasized into my bones. The treatment I'm under (3monthly Zoladex and now arbiraterone) have so far kept it in check. They have to keep me going for at least 6 more months cos I booked tickets yesterday to see Bruce Springsteen in May 24. Seriously though, I met a guy at my PC support group who had a similar diagnosis to mine in 2013!! As my onco says, everyone's cancer is different. Wait for your results.

User
Posted 03 Nov 2023 at 15:23

Hi Southportred and all

Thanks for the boosting comments.  

Cheers,

Otto