I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

More scans required

User
Posted 29 Oct 2023 at 11:18

My husband’s latest blood results show another increase in his PSA 1.09 from 0.09, the oncologist has requested more scans to see what’s going on and mentioned it’s probably time to look at another treatment, he’s already had chemo and is on monthly injections and 50mg Bicalutamide, I know everyone’s journey is different but is anyone else on similar path and knows what is next. He’s got his appointment for scans which is Thursday the 9th of November 

many thanks 

ann

User
Posted 29 Oct 2023 at 11:18

My husband’s latest blood results show another increase in his PSA 1.09 from 0.09, the oncologist has requested more scans to see what’s going on and mentioned it’s probably time to look at another treatment, he’s already had chemo and is on monthly injections and 50mg Bicalutamide, I know everyone’s journey is different but is anyone else on similar path and knows what is next. He’s got his appointment for scans which is Thursday the 9th of November 

many thanks 

ann

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 00:23

Hi I can't offer much help. I'm mainly posting to bump your post up. Checking your bio, I assume 0.09 is a typo should be 0.9 so the rise is about 20% in 10 weeks, that gives a doubling time of about 8 months.

There are plenty more hormone type medications to consider, and he could probably have more chemo.

Dave

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 07:10

Hi Ann,

I may be in very much the same position my PSS went 0.2 to  0.7 to 1.79. and I am being sent for scans. I don't yet know if it has spread but I am extremely anxious. I am still on hormones (Zoladex type) and if it has spread what I will be given  will depend on where and how badly. They tell me I will probably stay on the hormones and be given an extra super drug .... chemo. I am (was?) 3b which means only escape to the seminal tract. If it is still there, that is a happy Xmas ... if it has escaped then ... ???

Big sympathies.

Cheers,

Otto

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 08:54

Hi

My advice would be don't get hung up on psa No's also go on scan results and how the individual is feeling,my psa is slowly rising now at 13.5 which is less than 1% of when I was diagnosed but my scan results show no further spread and QOL is ok. 

Hope this helps

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 09:46

Thank you for your replies, yeah Dave it should have said risen from 0.9 to 1.09 my mistake, bone scan is next Thursday so not too long to wait, Otto my husband is already at stage 4 as he has multiple bone mets he had scans almost a year ago but showed no significant change, we will have to wait and see what these scans bring, phill I know what you are saying about not focusing to much on PSA figures I am a worrier and I do let it get to me.

ann

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 10:55

Hi Ann, I was diagnosed in June 2019 with a PSA of 562. The cancer had spread into my pelvis and lower back. I was put on hormone therapy pretty much straight away which immediately (within 2 days) removed the sciatica type back pain I'd has for quite a while and then went on to Zoladex followed by chemo. Bicalutamide was added to the mix about 2 years ago.

My PSA has been gradually rising over the last 9 months and, when it hit 17, the bicalutamide was stopped and I moved on to arbiraterone 4 weeks ago. PSA has dropped to 11 so far.

Like your husband, my last bone scan showed no noticeable change but that was 18 months ago.

I have to agree with Phil, in that quality of life is everything. I still get tired if I do too much and my libido dissappeared in July 2019! However, my wife and I still go out walking quite a lot, just not up mountains any more. We go out quite a bit for meals and to music venues. We have a four and half year old grandson and I've achieved my first aim which was to still be here when he started school. I'm still working part time and we take each day as it comes. My family are a huge incentive to keep on keeping on. Everyone says I look really well and most of the time I feel it too.

I have an appointment with onco on the 9th and then the annual struggle to obtain travel insurance for next years holidays. Hopefully Insure With will turn up trumps again.

Try and stay positive. It's the worrying that wears you out. It's probably easier to do this for the patient rather than the patient's family, however.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 15:22

husbands bone scan and body scan all done, we are off to Fort Lauderdale Saturday the 25th of November meeting my son his wife and our 2 grandchildren, we see the oncologist for the results the week after we get back the 13th of December, going to make the most of our time away 

best wishes to everyone 

Ann

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 00:23

Hi I can't offer much help. I'm mainly posting to bump your post up. Checking your bio, I assume 0.09 is a typo should be 0.9 so the rise is about 20% in 10 weeks, that gives a doubling time of about 8 months.

There are plenty more hormone type medications to consider, and he could probably have more chemo.

Dave

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 07:10

Hi Ann,

I may be in very much the same position my PSS went 0.2 to  0.7 to 1.79. and I am being sent for scans. I don't yet know if it has spread but I am extremely anxious. I am still on hormones (Zoladex type) and if it has spread what I will be given  will depend on where and how badly. They tell me I will probably stay on the hormones and be given an extra super drug .... chemo. I am (was?) 3b which means only escape to the seminal tract. If it is still there, that is a happy Xmas ... if it has escaped then ... ???

Big sympathies.

Cheers,

Otto

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 08:54

Hi

My advice would be don't get hung up on psa No's also go on scan results and how the individual is feeling,my psa is slowly rising now at 13.5 which is less than 1% of when I was diagnosed but my scan results show no further spread and QOL is ok. 

Hope this helps

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 09:46

Thank you for your replies, yeah Dave it should have said risen from 0.9 to 1.09 my mistake, bone scan is next Thursday so not too long to wait, Otto my husband is already at stage 4 as he has multiple bone mets he had scans almost a year ago but showed no significant change, we will have to wait and see what these scans bring, phill I know what you are saying about not focusing to much on PSA figures I am a worrier and I do let it get to me.

ann

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 10:55

Hi Ann, I was diagnosed in June 2019 with a PSA of 562. The cancer had spread into my pelvis and lower back. I was put on hormone therapy pretty much straight away which immediately (within 2 days) removed the sciatica type back pain I'd has for quite a while and then went on to Zoladex followed by chemo. Bicalutamide was added to the mix about 2 years ago.

My PSA has been gradually rising over the last 9 months and, when it hit 17, the bicalutamide was stopped and I moved on to arbiraterone 4 weeks ago. PSA has dropped to 11 so far.

Like your husband, my last bone scan showed no noticeable change but that was 18 months ago.

I have to agree with Phil, in that quality of life is everything. I still get tired if I do too much and my libido dissappeared in July 2019! However, my wife and I still go out walking quite a lot, just not up mountains any more. We go out quite a bit for meals and to music venues. We have a four and half year old grandson and I've achieved my first aim which was to still be here when he started school. I'm still working part time and we take each day as it comes. My family are a huge incentive to keep on keeping on. Everyone says I look really well and most of the time I feel it too.

I have an appointment with onco on the 9th and then the annual struggle to obtain travel insurance for next years holidays. Hopefully Insure With will turn up trumps again.

Try and stay positive. It's the worrying that wears you out. It's probably easier to do this for the patient rather than the patient's family, however.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2023 at 22:57

Hi southported my husband was diagnosed May 2021 and does seem on a similar path to you I know everyone is different and responds differently to treatment, it’s just good to have some reassurance I suppose, it’s nice that you and your wife and do things together especially walking, my husband’s mobility isn’t the best, we still get out for meals and a few drinks, we are going to Fort lauderdale in November we meet up with my son and his wife and our 2 grandchildren ( 6 & 2) they live in Canada, we managed to get insurance with insurewith after been knocked back by many others. Hope your appointment goes well on the 9th

best wishes

Ann

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 04:01

Hi,

Yes similar but different paths. My big scan is on Saturday. I am not optimistic. 

Otto

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 08:31

Hi all 

Sorry to jump in on your thread but holiday insurance was mentioned,I used allclear I paid just over £1000 for a year cover for me and the wife that's as many holidays you want in europe only but also includes crusing,maybe you could try them Southported.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 15:22

husbands bone scan and body scan all done, we are off to Fort Lauderdale Saturday the 25th of November meeting my son his wife and our 2 grandchildren, we see the oncologist for the results the week after we get back the 13th of December, going to make the most of our time away 

best wishes to everyone 

Ann