I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pump Clinic Session

User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 21:29

I have been booked in for a pump clinic session this week for a somaerect pump, I am a little nervous as I am not sure what to expect and who will be there – the appointment letter doesn’t provide any details.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 22:33

These are run by the pump reps (all male as far as I know) on an individual basis. They are the experts in using the pumps.

They explain how to use the pump and will offer to demo it on you. I would encourage you to do this, because it doubles the chances of using it successfully at home afterwards.

Afterwards, they fill out a form for you to take away which explains how to prescribe it and which parts you need. In most areas you take this to your GP who prescribes it, although in a few places, the hospital provides it. They'll tell you how it works in your area.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 07:19

Hi, 

I attended a pump demonstration appointment. It was a 1 to 1 session with a male rep at my local hospital, my other half was allowed in too, so a 1 to 2 in my case.

Like you I was a little nervous beforehand but he was very professional and the session was informative and well worth attending. I wasn't disappointed. 

Also worth pointing out that it's a fairly intimate contact so you may feel awkward at first. Be prepared for some topiary advice too so it might be worth having a trim beforehand. 

Regards. 

Kev.

Edited by member 07 Nov 2023 at 07:25  | Reason: Added note

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 07:42

I would regard yourself lucky at having a one to one to show you how to use the device and also make sure that you get the correct cylinder size. It took me a long time to work out what size was best for me and I think it’s even more important if you are a ‘grower’ rather than a ‘shower’😊

So this is a good time to leave your modesty at the door and try and just make it a lighthearted meeting. My ED nurse(female) is excellent at making me feel at ease. I’m sure I read on here about someone who was having a demo and after a few pumps looked down and announced that he was ‘quite proud of that’🀣🀣🀣

Good luck and enjoy…it’s worth it!

Derek

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 08:41

As someone already alluded to, you are really lucky to have the opportunity to be shown how to use the device. I paid personally for a device, Vacuerect faffed around for a few months and gave up. Then got the form from UCLH for prescription from the GP for Somaerect. Apart from the video on youtube, no one showed me how to use it. Both devices were gathering dust in my cupboard for 9mths, until a nice gentleman here sent me a video on how to use it. I have gone back to the original device (Vaccurect) and prefer that to the NHS provided SomaErect as I personally think it is a lot easier and quicker to use, no need to preload the ring, during pump my penis slides into the ring and voila erection, all done in less than 30secs. 

One thing I have noticed of late is I struggle to orgasm with the ring on, don't know if it is because the ring is too tight.. My wife is not complaining though!

Edited by member 07 Nov 2023 at 12:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 12:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Kev,

Thank you for your reassurance. I wasn't aware that my wife could attend. Was it beneficial for her to be there?

Stephen

Hi,

She came with me on the off-chance she would be let in, and when the rep came in the the waiting room to call my name, I asked if she could come too, he said sure.

I think having her there made things less awkward and more light hearted. Also she had one or two questions to ask so definitely beneficial in my view, especially as she's been through the whole cancer thing with me.

P.S. 

He used a consulting room in outpatients so it was quite discreet as no one knew what we were there for. 

Hope this helps. 

Kev.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 12:26

Wow it is great you get a clinic....I got a pump on prescription which was great, but was given a link to a youtube video to learn what to do as well as an instruction booklet (more like a book - it was massive!)

Take whatever they offer to do or show you at the clinic mate!!

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 21:38
Well done on getting the appointment and prescription.

Prior to getting PCa I was a little protective of my willy but frankly it has been examined, prodded at, moved out of the way by male nurses so much that I don't think I care anymore - I have certainly lost any inhibitions. A kind member (no pun intended) sent me a video of using a VED and I felt absolutely no embarrassment about watching him achieve a usable erection.

I guess it's how doctors and nurses become so indifferent about what is just another part of the body for 50% of the population.

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 16:37

Ideal Lubrication for Couples

After surgery or other treatments, because men's penises don't have natural lubrication, penetrative sex is difficult for the men and their wives/partners. Most men use water-based lubricant such as KY jelly which is rather messy and interferes with the natural progression from foreplay to penetrative sex.

There is a particular type of vaginal lubricant which my wife uses. It comes in an individual, one time use, small toothpaste-type tube, which she uses to insert the lubricant into her vagina. This is a plant-based product which is organic and ideal for women with sensitive vaginas. When I used to apply KY-type lubricant to my penis I had to use sufficient for my wife's comfort but too slippery for me, or just enough for me but not sufficient for her and it was messy. But now she can control the amount of lubricant she uses and by trial and error she has found the right quantity to transfer from the one-time use tube to her vagina for her comfort and providing me with sufficient friction for my penis. The product is marketed at www.yesyesyes.org. It has made our sex life more pleasurable and not messy! - try it.

Edited by member 11 Nov 2023 at 17:36  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 22:33

These are run by the pump reps (all male as far as I know) on an individual basis. They are the experts in using the pumps.

They explain how to use the pump and will offer to demo it on you. I would encourage you to do this, because it doubles the chances of using it successfully at home afterwards.

Afterwards, they fill out a form for you to take away which explains how to prescribe it and which parts you need. In most areas you take this to your GP who prescribes it, although in a few places, the hospital provides it. They'll tell you how it works in your area.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 07:19

Hi, 

I attended a pump demonstration appointment. It was a 1 to 1 session with a male rep at my local hospital, my other half was allowed in too, so a 1 to 2 in my case.

Like you I was a little nervous beforehand but he was very professional and the session was informative and well worth attending. I wasn't disappointed. 

Also worth pointing out that it's a fairly intimate contact so you may feel awkward at first. Be prepared for some topiary advice too so it might be worth having a trim beforehand. 

Regards. 

Kev.

Edited by member 07 Nov 2023 at 07:25  | Reason: Added note

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 07:42

I would regard yourself lucky at having a one to one to show you how to use the device and also make sure that you get the correct cylinder size. It took me a long time to work out what size was best for me and I think it’s even more important if you are a ‘grower’ rather than a ‘shower’😊

So this is a good time to leave your modesty at the door and try and just make it a lighthearted meeting. My ED nurse(female) is excellent at making me feel at ease. I’m sure I read on here about someone who was having a demo and after a few pumps looked down and announced that he was ‘quite proud of that’🀣🀣🀣

Good luck and enjoy…it’s worth it!

Derek

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 08:41

As someone already alluded to, you are really lucky to have the opportunity to be shown how to use the device. I paid personally for a device, Vacuerect faffed around for a few months and gave up. Then got the form from UCLH for prescription from the GP for Somaerect. Apart from the video on youtube, no one showed me how to use it. Both devices were gathering dust in my cupboard for 9mths, until a nice gentleman here sent me a video on how to use it. I have gone back to the original device (Vaccurect) and prefer that to the NHS provided SomaErect as I personally think it is a lot easier and quicker to use, no need to preload the ring, during pump my penis slides into the ring and voila erection, all done in less than 30secs. 

One thing I have noticed of late is I struggle to orgasm with the ring on, don't know if it is because the ring is too tight.. My wife is not complaining though!

Edited by member 07 Nov 2023 at 12:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 11:05

Hi Kev,

Thank you for your reassurance. I wasn't aware that my wife could attend. Was it beneficial for her to be there?

Stephen

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 12:07

Hi Kev,

Stephen

Hi,

She came with me on the off-chance she would be let in, and when the rep came in the the waiting room to call my name, I asked if she could come too, he said sure.

I think having her there made things less awkward and more light hearted. Also she had one or two questions to ask so definitely beneficial in my view, especially as she's been through the whole cancer thing with me.

P.S. 

He used a consulting room in outpatients so it was quite discreet as no one knew what we were there for. 

Hope this helps. 

Kev.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 12:26

Wow it is great you get a clinic....I got a pump on prescription which was great, but was given a link to a youtube video to learn what to do as well as an instruction booklet (more like a book - it was massive!)

Take whatever they offer to do or show you at the clinic mate!!

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 21:38
Well done on getting the appointment and prescription.

Prior to getting PCa I was a little protective of my willy but frankly it has been examined, prodded at, moved out of the way by male nurses so much that I don't think I care anymore - I have certainly lost any inhibitions. A kind member (no pun intended) sent me a video of using a VED and I felt absolutely no embarrassment about watching him achieve a usable erection.

I guess it's how doctors and nurses become so indifferent about what is just another part of the body for 50% of the population.

User
Posted 08 Nov 2023 at 18:52
Just to say that some men are fine with a female nurse or pump demonstrator. My husband's previous ED nurse was brilliant and a great source of support to both of us - she demonstrated the pump when he first got it and when we progressed to injections, she did that as well. His new ED nurse is also a woman - he has never had an issue with that.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 09:29

The demo went well, I was very impressed at how quickly I got an erection and it didn’t seem to hurt too much.

I know I am very lucky to get this on the NHS going through the hospital. I was told that the local GP surgeries in my area refuse to assist and in some areas the hospitals don’t even help you, which doesn’t seem fair.

I was surprised that the lube he used was a medical ultrasound gel, has anyone else used this?

Stephen

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 10:03

Stephen, I use shower gel for rehabilitation use. For times when it is used for intercourse I use a lubricant designed for the purpose,we use one of the durex products.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 14:16

Stephen, I use shower gel for rehabilitation use. 

Thanks for that suggestion, I have up to this moment been using the expensive durex lubes for rehabilitation 😞. It never occurred to me I could use any old lubricant and save the expensive lube for intercourse!

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 16:37

Ideal Lubrication for Couples

After surgery or other treatments, because men's penises don't have natural lubrication, penetrative sex is difficult for the men and their wives/partners. Most men use water-based lubricant such as KY jelly which is rather messy and interferes with the natural progression from foreplay to penetrative sex.

There is a particular type of vaginal lubricant which my wife uses. It comes in an individual, one time use, small toothpaste-type tube, which she uses to insert the lubricant into her vagina. This is a plant-based product which is organic and ideal for women with sensitive vaginas. When I used to apply KY-type lubricant to my penis I had to use sufficient for my wife's comfort but too slippery for me, or just enough for me but not sufficient for her and it was messy. But now she can control the amount of lubricant she uses and by trial and error she has found the right quantity to transfer from the one-time use tube to her vagina for her comfort and providing me with sufficient friction for my penis. The product is marketed at www.yesyesyes.org. It has made our sex life more pleasurable and not messy! - try it.

Edited by member 11 Nov 2023 at 17:36  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 17:16

For rehab, Asdas Lubricant jelly I found as good as the expensive one supplied with the Somaerect …and it’s half the price😊
I use that for rehab pruposes.

Edited by member 11 Nov 2023 at 17:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 18:13

Yep to second the above, cheap lubricant is fine for rehabilitation. I have used my pump nearly everyday for year. I can only hope it's made a difference.