I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about bone scan results

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 15:46

Hi, this is all new to me and I'm a little bit lost. I'm 47 and was diagnosed with Gleason 4+3 prostate cancer last month. My PSA was 2.8.

I'm opting for surgical treatment. I was sent for bone scans 'as a precaution' but which apparently have shown something suspicious on my ribs, so now I'm waiting for a CT scan appointment. 

I felt like I was coping okay and getting my head round the need for surgery, but this stuff with the bone scans has really sent me reeling. Feels like I am now looking at a very different situation and outcome, not sure what to do with myself.

Don't think I really have questions, just feels helpful to write that down, lol.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 19:11

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry that you find yourself here.  It can be quite tough when it's all new.

Regarding the bone scan which showed 'something suspicious':  It is my understanding that these sometimes turn out to be old fractures or injuries and are not a symptom of cancer, but no doubt other people on this site who have been in a similar situation to you will be able to offer more insight.  The waiting for test results which confirm or refute the suspicions can be the hardest.

I wish you every good luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 15:46

Hi, this is all new to me and I'm a little bit lost. I'm 47 and was diagnosed with Gleason 4+3 prostate cancer last month. My PSA was 2.8.

I'm opting for surgical treatment. I was sent for bone scans 'as a precaution' but which apparently have shown something suspicious on my ribs, so now I'm waiting for a CT scan appointment. 

I felt like I was coping okay and getting my head round the need for surgery, but this stuff with the bone scans has really sent me reeling. Feels like I am now looking at a very different situation and outcome, not sure what to do with myself.

Don't think I really have questions, just feels helpful to write that down, lol.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 19:39

Evening Mike,

I've had similar concerns. A contrast scan revealed I had lytic looking areas  in the pelvic bones and the femora.

Fortunately a later NM whole body bone scan revealed that there was no scintigraphic features of skeletal metastatic disease.

I think I have osteoporosis which is not linked to my prostate cancer.

I'm beginning to feel like a very old car having its first MOT. The more they check it out the more faults they find.

Best of luck mate.

Adrian.

Edited by member 14 Nov 2023 at 19:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 10:06
When I had a bone scan as part of the diagnosis, there was a distinct white circle on one of my ribs. I was told it was nothing to worry about, and could have been caused by almost anything, including an old injury. Definitely not metastatic cancer. Hope that helpd you.

Hermit

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 13:36

Nuclear bone scans are not very reliable - if you've seen the images, you'll know they're very low resolution. They are particularly unreliable for false positives where they show just one or two small hot spots, and this is why they will need an X-ray or CT scan of the locations.

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 15:14

Hey Mike,

I was diagnosed with 3+4 and PSA of 11.4 aged 46 at the beginning of last year. Had my biopsy results 2 days after going for the bone scan. Was firstly told Id be on a curative path, but the nurse hadnt seen the results of the bone scan.

I had 2 areas of concern. One on my rib and the other on my femur. I was told this could likely change my prognosis. It was then 5 days awaiting my next move. Brutal. Thankfully Id had a full body MRI 4 years ago and the same lesions were apparent in those images.

As others are rightly saying, I dont think the bone scans are completely reliable so try not to get to stressed about it mate. Especially now that you seem to have made your decision about surgery. 

This time next year you'll be grand.

Good luck brother.

Jamie.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 19:11

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry that you find yourself here.  It can be quite tough when it's all new.

Regarding the bone scan which showed 'something suspicious':  It is my understanding that these sometimes turn out to be old fractures or injuries and are not a symptom of cancer, but no doubt other people on this site who have been in a similar situation to you will be able to offer more insight.  The waiting for test results which confirm or refute the suspicions can be the hardest.

I wish you every good luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 19:39

Evening Mike,

I've had similar concerns. A contrast scan revealed I had lytic looking areas  in the pelvic bones and the femora.

Fortunately a later NM whole body bone scan revealed that there was no scintigraphic features of skeletal metastatic disease.

I think I have osteoporosis which is not linked to my prostate cancer.

I'm beginning to feel like a very old car having its first MOT. The more they check it out the more faults they find.

Best of luck mate.

Adrian.

Edited by member 14 Nov 2023 at 19:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 20:10

It's unlikely the cancer is in the bones. It's far more likely to be an old fractured rib. Do you know if you have ever had a heavy blow to the ribs? Car crash, rugby? 

PSA is not very reliable, but it is not common to have metastatic disease with a PSA less than 50.

Dave

User
Posted 14 Nov 2023 at 20:20

Thanks Dave, 

Nothing specific I can think of, but plenty of drunken escapades from a mis-spent youth......

I am taking comfort from the fact that my PSA is quite low, just got a bit worried / stressed today. 

Best wishes,

Mike

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 10:06
When I had a bone scan as part of the diagnosis, there was a distinct white circle on one of my ribs. I was told it was nothing to worry about, and could have been caused by almost anything, including an old injury. Definitely not metastatic cancer. Hope that helpd you.

Hermit

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 13:36

Nuclear bone scans are not very reliable - if you've seen the images, you'll know they're very low resolution. They are particularly unreliable for false positives where they show just one or two small hot spots, and this is why they will need an X-ray or CT scan of the locations.

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 15:14

Hey Mike,

I was diagnosed with 3+4 and PSA of 11.4 aged 46 at the beginning of last year. Had my biopsy results 2 days after going for the bone scan. Was firstly told Id be on a curative path, but the nurse hadnt seen the results of the bone scan.

I had 2 areas of concern. One on my rib and the other on my femur. I was told this could likely change my prognosis. It was then 5 days awaiting my next move. Brutal. Thankfully Id had a full body MRI 4 years ago and the same lesions were apparent in those images.

As others are rightly saying, I dont think the bone scans are completely reliable so try not to get to stressed about it mate. Especially now that you seem to have made your decision about surgery. 

This time next year you'll be grand.

Good luck brother.

Jamie.

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 17:26

Thanks to everyone for their replies, it is really helping. 

Best wishes to all. 

Mike