I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Another post-RARP cycling thread

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 11:46

Had my RARP a couple of weeks ago, catheter came out yesterday (hooray!). The post-op aches and pains have gone and so far, touch wood, next to no urinary incontinence.

I'm now wondering how soon I can start cycling, specifically using my indoors TACX smart trainer and Zwift. As I can control the resistance and how long I spend on it I'm thinking that occasional gentle use might be OK, as I'm keen not to let my fitness levels drop too much.

Any thoughts? 

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 22:13

It's the seat that's the key. You don't want to damage the remaining nerves. I loved a razor blade seat but since my RP gave up cycling since I could not get on with the seats which support your arse cheeks. That and I was an avid mountain biker and the bounce thumps and bumps would probably damage what I had left 

Exercise of course is down to the individual but if you take it steady you'll soon get up to fitness. I did, just listen to your body.

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 23:23

A , that is probably a question for your surgeon. He probably spent a long time sewing your bladder back to urethra, you don't want to undo all his good work. I went back into theatre or treatment rooms on 13 occasions because of issues with my joint, I am not a serious cyclist.

I recall seeing someone saying they were told no cycling for 12 weeks.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 15 Nov 2023 at 23:56
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've used cutaway saddles for years so that's an adjustment I won't need to make, but I take the point about respecting the surgeon's endeavours so will wait until I can discuss with him at my 6 week appointment.