I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Transperineal Biopsy questions

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 09:35

Hi guys. So after having the MRI results back which said a pirads 4 score, prostate size 33ml with a 11mm non- Circumscribed T2 hypo intensity in the prostate apex.

I’ve now been referred to have a Transperineal Biopsy in a few weeks time. Can anyone who had this biopsy give me a heads up on it please?  Just wanted to know how you got on afterwards regarding work as I’m a truck driver so spend most of the day sitting on my backside!🙂 

Hospital have advised me not to drive there & to get someone to drive me home & I need to have someone staying overnight too?? Will be given antibiotics for two days & to take paracetamol if needed.  
They didn’t mention anything about work so wondered how long it took for recovery afterwards, it’s being performed under local anaesthetic.🙂

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:52

Hi Richard

I had it done under local and it was no problem. Your legs will be up in stirrups and you get the local anaesthetic, If I remember correctly they numb the local area and then insert anaesthetic deeper into the perenium. They insert an ultrasound into the rectum after doing a DRE. they then insert the needles to take the biopsies and you hear a click each time one is taken and a sharp prick as they take each sample. I found it uncomfortable  rather than painful and The nurses were great at protecting your modesty and also keeping your mind occupied during the procedure.

I didn’t really have any issues afterwards, a little tender for a couple of days and also blood in semen and pee, which is alarming but normal. I was out riding my ebike within a week if I remember correctly.

Everyone is different but for me it was ok.

Good luck with it!

Derek

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:42

Hi again,

Yes, you must give a pee sample or two before you're released.

I'm pretty sure you'll not need anyone overnight, perhaps they were being ultra cautious. 

Adrian

Edited by member 16 Nov 2023 at 12:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:55

I certainly wouldn’t have needed anyone with me overnight but as I say everyone is different. With a GA maybe more important. I’d didn’t need any painkillers either.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 12:11

Hi Richard

I had a TPB under general anaesthetic, but I don't think that affects the recovery time over local. I was out of hospital the same day, but was asked to bring overnight things in case. As for longer term recovery well I was pretty bruised and sore for a few days after (more so than the Brachy op I had subsequently). I could drive the next day but wouldn't have wanted to spend long periods in a car seat. Every one is different of course, but I would allow a few days before you are properly back in the saddle without discomfort. 

All the best with it

Tom

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 14:48
Hi, my husband’s was under local and he was advised someone to drive him home and not to be alone overnight apparently due to very slight risk of infection/high temp, but very very minimal risk. It wasn’t as bad as he was expecting and no real pain afterwards and all back to ‘normal’ within couple of days. One thing to prewarn though, they tell you to expect a bit of blood in semen for couple of weeks…as others will testify, it’s a bit of a shock, so just be prepared, it’s not just a bit of blood….it’s bright red, total blood for up to 4-5 ejaculations then it clears.

Hope it all goes well for you

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 15:33
I have had this biopsy under general and local. If the procedure worries you ask for the general if they will do it. Both were easy with not much to choose between them I found but in either case they don't want you to drive for 24 hours. The fist time I was put in a ward overnight where I was subject to all the ward checks due to being there, not due to need, The second time which was for the local, they realised me in the care of the driver who brought me to London and took me back to Devon later the same day. They were insistent about me being accompanied but this might depend on a particular hospital.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:15

Hi, Richard

If the transperineal biopsy is the one done under general anaesthetic, I found it a doddle. I'd had a TRUS biopsy about 18 months previously, it was less pleasant but still not too bad. As my cancer had progressed they told me that a follow up biopsy under general anaesthetic could be done more acurrately.

I think I was done and dusted in about 5 hours. The wife dropped me off, went shopping, and collected me later, we stopped for a pub meal on the way home.

Both procedures meant I had a bit of blood in my pee and semen for a while but that was about it

Good luck mate.

Adrian

Edited by member 16 Nov 2023 at 11:45  | Reason: Spelling and additional text.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:26

Thanks for the info, I’m having it done under a local & not a general. They say I can leave after as long as I can pass urine before I go home!

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:42

Hi again,

Yes, you must give a pee sample or two before you're released.

I'm pretty sure you'll not need anyone overnight, perhaps they were being ultra cautious. 

Adrian

Edited by member 16 Nov 2023 at 12:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:52

Hi Richard

I had it done under local and it was no problem. Your legs will be up in stirrups and you get the local anaesthetic, If I remember correctly they numb the local area and then insert anaesthetic deeper into the perenium. They insert an ultrasound into the rectum after doing a DRE. they then insert the needles to take the biopsies and you hear a click each time one is taken and a sharp prick as they take each sample. I found it uncomfortable  rather than painful and The nurses were great at protecting your modesty and also keeping your mind occupied during the procedure.

I didn’t really have any issues afterwards, a little tender for a couple of days and also blood in semen and pee, which is alarming but normal. I was out riding my ebike within a week if I remember correctly.

Everyone is different but for me it was ok.

Good luck with it!

Derek

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:53

Hospital said if nobody can stay with me overnight then I’d have to stay in hospital overnight, seemed a bit drastic for a biopsy! Luckily I will stay at my daughters for the night. Made me wonder how bad the after effects of this biopsy are 🤔

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:54

That’s good to know then, don’t mind it being uncomfortable as long as I’m ok to return to work asap afterwards 

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:55

I certainly wouldn’t have needed anyone with me overnight but as I say everyone is different. With a GA maybe more important. I’d didn’t need any painkillers either.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 11:59

Hi Richard

I had mine done with the same instructions about someone staying overnight etc. It was a bit tender for a couple of days, but I was back driving the next day. You'll be fine mate.

Ian.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 12:11

Hi Richard

I had a TPB under general anaesthetic, but I don't think that affects the recovery time over local. I was out of hospital the same day, but was asked to bring overnight things in case. As for longer term recovery well I was pretty bruised and sore for a few days after (more so than the Brachy op I had subsequently). I could drive the next day but wouldn't have wanted to spend long periods in a car seat. Every one is different of course, but I would allow a few days before you are properly back in the saddle without discomfort. 

All the best with it

Tom

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 14:40

Local Anaesthetic

My wife drove me to the hospital and back

Giving antibiotics is usual although the chances of infection is much reduced with this procedure. 

Procedure in the morning then back to work in the afternoon. I sit at a desk all day, it was not uncomfortable.

It's not pleasant but necessary. The staff will make it as tolerable as possible.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 14:48
Hi, my husband’s was under local and he was advised someone to drive him home and not to be alone overnight apparently due to very slight risk of infection/high temp, but very very minimal risk. It wasn’t as bad as he was expecting and no real pain afterwards and all back to ‘normal’ within couple of days. One thing to prewarn though, they tell you to expect a bit of blood in semen for couple of weeks…as others will testify, it’s a bit of a shock, so just be prepared, it’s not just a bit of blood….it’s bright red, total blood for up to 4-5 ejaculations then it clears.

Hope it all goes well for you

User
Posted 16 Nov 2023 at 15:33
I have had this biopsy under general and local. If the procedure worries you ask for the general if they will do it. Both were easy with not much to choose between them I found but in either case they don't want you to drive for 24 hours. The fist time I was put in a ward overnight where I was subject to all the ward checks due to being there, not due to need, The second time which was for the local, they realised me in the care of the driver who brought me to London and took me back to Devon later the same day. They were insistent about me being accompanied but this might depend on a particular hospital.

Barry