I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Where and when in the day to do the Pelvic Floor exercises

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 11:13

I am about ten days post Catheter removal after radical prostatectomy. Leaking not too bad, worse when I go for  a walk,  and overnight dry, although desperate for a wee when I get up around 6 am! Compared with what others on the forum are experiencing I am grateful for this.  My question is when in the day to do the pelvic floor exercises?  I find it easiest to do the recommended power and endurance exercises whilst standing over the toilet after a pee as they seem to bring on a bit of extra pee and dribbles . If I do them at other times of the day it can bring on a leak into the pad. I figure better the leaks go in the toilet. Is this OK and better for the improvement the exercises are supposed to bring to do them with an empty bladder.  I know this all takes time. I find later in the day the propensity for leaks is greater as the muscles are tired from working hard trying to not leak the extra fluid we are encouraged to take on and the exercises earlier on in the day. Thoughts welcome.

Edited by member 22 Nov 2023 at 11:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 11:51

Hi Graham, I had RARP nine months ago. I'm virtually back to normal regarding urination. 

I had problems dribbling when I coughed, laughed or sat down quickly. I also squirted when sexually active, which was embarrassing, but appears to have stopped now

I'm  ashamed to admit I didn't do many exercises. On the rare occasions I did it was when I sat watching TV or whilst in bed; at all times during the day or night. Perhaps I wasn't doing them properly but I can't recall leaking at all when doing them.

The surgeon did tell me he thought the bladder bit of the op went very well, so perhaps I've been very lucky.

Good luck mate, you seem to be doing very well.

Adrian.

Late edit: The posh name for 'sex peeing' is climacturia 

Edited by member 22 Nov 2023 at 13:18  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 12:03

In my experience (prostatectomy 12 years ago) I don't think there needs to be any hard and fast rules about pelvic floor exercises. On removal of my catheter (over 5 weeks after surgery) I was totally incontinent and realised that the best way to do these exercises was when sitting on the toilet (otherwise it is very messy!). It is intuitive to try and stop urinating, you don't have to think about where are your Kegel muscles and learn to or be taught how to use them. Initially I found the lack of progress very disappointing but within a few days the improvement was clearly perceptible. After a couple of weeks the progress was exponential and flattened out after 4/5 weeks to 99.9% continence and that is where I am at. When I got to the stage  when I was using a very small pad I exercised anywhere at any time. I found waiting at traffic lights was a good time to do a few squeezes! Good luck.

Edited by member 22 Nov 2023 at 12:22  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 11:51

Hi Graham, I had RARP nine months ago. I'm virtually back to normal regarding urination. 

I had problems dribbling when I coughed, laughed or sat down quickly. I also squirted when sexually active, which was embarrassing, but appears to have stopped now

I'm  ashamed to admit I didn't do many exercises. On the rare occasions I did it was when I sat watching TV or whilst in bed; at all times during the day or night. Perhaps I wasn't doing them properly but I can't recall leaking at all when doing them.

The surgeon did tell me he thought the bladder bit of the op went very well, so perhaps I've been very lucky.

Good luck mate, you seem to be doing very well.

Adrian.

Late edit: The posh name for 'sex peeing' is climacturia 

Edited by member 22 Nov 2023 at 13:18  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 12:03

In my experience (prostatectomy 12 years ago) I don't think there needs to be any hard and fast rules about pelvic floor exercises. On removal of my catheter (over 5 weeks after surgery) I was totally incontinent and realised that the best way to do these exercises was when sitting on the toilet (otherwise it is very messy!). It is intuitive to try and stop urinating, you don't have to think about where are your Kegel muscles and learn to or be taught how to use them. Initially I found the lack of progress very disappointing but within a few days the improvement was clearly perceptible. After a couple of weeks the progress was exponential and flattened out after 4/5 weeks to 99.9% continence and that is where I am at. When I got to the stage  when I was using a very small pad I exercised anywhere at any time. I found waiting at traffic lights was a good time to do a few squeezes! Good luck.

Edited by member 22 Nov 2023 at 12:22  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 13:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I found waiting at traffic lights was a good time to do a few squeezes! 

For a week or so post op my wife took over the driving.  All those journeys were arse clenching. 😁

(Only kidding darling. xxx 😍)

Edited by member 22 Nov 2023 at 22:03  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 16:04

I was told to do my pelvic floor exercises 6 times a day. So just spread them out based upon that assumption. I used to use the squeezie app to guide me.