Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How many HT injections

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 11:54

Hi

I sometimes wonder if I float around in a daze. When I went for my second Zoladex injection, I had an argument with the dr who wanted to give injections every 13  weeks. I objected as Astra Zeneca specifically stated 12 weeks. I stumbled along unthinking, counting down from 8 injections. When I received my fifth yesterday, I realised that 8x13 would have been exactly two years, but 8x12 means one year and ten months. It it likely I will need 9 injections now? Or will they stop at 8.

Best wishes

Rory

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 16:03

You are right it is every 12 weeks. The doctor really shouldn't have to be told how to do their job. I think I had nine injections. Though HT beyond 18 months is probably adding little value, one month over is safer than two months under. Having said that if it is having a drastic impact on your quality of life consider asking the oncologist about stopping earlier.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 17:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I have my Prostap 3 injections every 13 weeks. Maybe it’s different for this drug?

Yes prostap, the patient information leaflet says 3 months, Zoladex it says 12 weeks. I doubt it would make any real difference as it took about 9 months for me to recover from HT.

Dave

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 09:55

Rory,

I suppose I should have added that my measured testosterone levels also stuck at close to zero for the whole period I was on Zoladex. Some people can develop a drug resistance so their testosterone starts to rise but I guess regular tests would pick up any trend like that easily enough.

Weight ... aaagh! Strict dietary discipline and exercise are not easy, though one or two people here have managed not to gain any weight.

Jules

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 16:03

You are right it is every 12 weeks. The doctor really shouldn't have to be told how to do their job. I think I had nine injections. Though HT beyond 18 months is probably adding little value, one month over is safer than two months under. Having said that if it is having a drastic impact on your quality of life consider asking the oncologist about stopping earlier.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 17:00
I have my Prostap 3 injections every 13 weeks. Maybe it’s different for this drug?
User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 17:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Yes prostap, the patient information leaflet says 3 months, Zoladex it says 12 weeks. I doubt it would make any real difference as it took about 9 months for me to recover from HT.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 18:39
I was on Zoladex implants and I was told by oncologist, nurse, gp etc that it was really important for Zoladex to be administered every 12 wks, I distinctly remember the cancer nurse repeating that a few times.

Peter

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 01:50

Hi Dave,

So have you reconsidered your original response and decided 13 or 12, it's neither here nor there?

Thanks

Rory

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 02:54

At the end of my first and maybe second 3 month Zoladex cycles I felt a very slight sense that normality was returning, even though my psa remained locked on <0.01. After a few cycles though, you've so totally crushed any chance your system has of generating testosterone that I'm sure it wouldn't matter if it was 12 or 13. After 2 years [for me] it was a relief to be off the drug and I felt different but since your testes have progressively shrunk to a fraction of their original size and it takes at least 9 months for your body to produce testosterone again I really doubt that the longer interval would make any difference at all.

Jules

Edited by member 07 Dec 2023 at 03:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 07:13

Hello Jules

I agree. Unfortunately I have formed a very low opinion of Dr's who for some reason seem to consider themselves to be God like rather than being more akin to some hybrid artisans, who combine butchery and plumbing in their repertoire. I would have not only comprehended the situation but I would also have been in total agreement had the Dr said to me; " hey I know that AZ say 12 weeks but if we go for 13 weeks then it will be two years exactly and only 8 injections rather than 9". Instead he initiated an argument base on the premise that he knows best, without articulating any supporting rationale.

As an aside, your journey is very interesting. I am a big lad but I have become very fat on the Zoladex and I need to address it. 

Thanks

Rory

Edited by member 07 Dec 2023 at 07:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 09:55

Rory,

I suppose I should have added that my measured testosterone levels also stuck at close to zero for the whole period I was on Zoladex. Some people can develop a drug resistance so their testosterone starts to rise but I guess regular tests would pick up any trend like that easily enough.

Weight ... aaagh! Strict dietary discipline and exercise are not easy, though one or two people here have managed not to gain any weight.

Jules