I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How long before you get your biopsy results?

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 15:42

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how long it would normally take before getting your biopsy results back.

I had my biopsy on the 25th October so it's been a month now, it's becoming a little stressful waiting. I'm on holiday, but did call to explain that I'd still like to know either way and to request a video meeting rather than a f2f.

Any reassurances would be appreciated. 

Phil

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 20:24

A month sounds a long time as they're supposed to give you a diagnosis in 28 days from referral. Although different hospitals have local pressures.

If you want reassurances they could be based on how low your psa is and other symptoms.  Or perhaps best, but probably not most likely, if it's benign and they've pushed you to the back of the queue.  Most places like to do a face to face for biopsy results.  Even a positive result might not need treatment if it's very small or low grade for example.

Good luck Peter

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 00:59

In my trust I went in for my first consultation on 1 march. On the 3rd march I got four appointment letters 7 march MRI, 14 march Biopsy, 21 march Bone scan, 28 march results meeting. So for me it was 14 days and I knew the timetable from the 3rd day. Apparently if any of the early tests had came back negative they would have cancelled subsequent ones. So strictly speaking the fact I had the bone scan meant I had a positive biopsy, but I was naive to all this medical stuff at the time.

Dave

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 17:52

My results ended up taking 7 weeks. It is a really long wait, hopefully you'll get yours sooner.

My results came back with stage 3a cancer with treatment options of surgery or radiotherapy. 

5 weeks later and I saw the surgeon, still 2 more weeks to see the oncologist. I really hope that some areas of the country are getting shorter waiting times.

It can be/is very stressful but stay strong.

Hoping your results are good. 

Take care.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 10:32

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hello all, first post. Thanks to all for the invaluable contributions

Good luck with your results. Let's us know how you've got on.

Adrian.

Results came back in 3 weeks, thankfully all clear. I've update my bio. Good luck all.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 21:48

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how long it would normally take before getting your biopsy results back.

Hi Phil, 

I've had two biopsies. The first was a TRUS. The other was a transperineal. I got both sets of results in a week.

Good luck mate.

Edited by member 25 Nov 2023 at 21:48  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 12:09

Hi Phil

my results took 4 weeks to come through from PCH in Peterborough. I suspect it varies by area, but you should get them very soon hopefully.

Ian.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 15:45

It took 18 days for me to get my biopsy results here in the south of England. That was before the various doctor's strikes. I am assuming they have created a bottleneck, but may be wrong.

All the best

Tom 

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 16:28

Hi, Phil I had my results and a face to face within 2 weeks, I'm in the Forth Valley Hospital Scotland,  cheers 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2023 at 19:55

Hi Phil,

My dad's biopsy results took 5 weeks to come back. He had his results today. 

We are in South Wales so it sounds like all areas are very different. His MRI results took two weeks. 

He now has bone scan on Friday so hopefully the wait for the results of that dont take too long. 

Waiting is horrible. Hope all goes well for you 

User
Posted 28 Nov 2023 at 17:43

My husband is waiting for biopsy results but has been told he will hear within two weeks. He was referred in September so NHS targets may as well not exist, although his was an urgent referral and his MRI came out as PIRADS 5. He has bone and CT scans this weekend so we are expecting a consultation next week and will follow up vociferously if we don’t hear. My recommendation is to chase, chase, chase even if you come over as deranged. Whenever we make phone calls to find out what’s happening we make progress. Waiting is horrible, really good luck. 

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 18:03

Hi Bernie,

Sorry to see you've had to find us but welcome to the club.

Adrian.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 11:06

That's great news mate!

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 13:01

Results came back in 3 weeks, thankfully all clear. I've update my bio. Good luck all.

Fantastic news mate. Thanks for the update. I'm cracking a can of lager to celebrate with you. 

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 20:31
we love endings like this - congratulations!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 20:24

A month sounds a long time as they're supposed to give you a diagnosis in 28 days from referral. Although different hospitals have local pressures.

If you want reassurances they could be based on how low your psa is and other symptoms.  Or perhaps best, but probably not most likely, if it's benign and they've pushed you to the back of the queue.  Most places like to do a face to face for biopsy results.  Even a positive result might not need treatment if it's very small or low grade for example.

Good luck Peter

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 21:48

Hi everyone,

Hi Phil, 

I've had two biopsies. The first was a TRUS. The other was a transperineal. I got both sets of results in a week.

Good luck mate.

Edited by member 25 Nov 2023 at 21:48  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 00:59

In my trust I went in for my first consultation on 1 march. On the 3rd march I got four appointment letters 7 march MRI, 14 march Biopsy, 21 march Bone scan, 28 march results meeting. So for me it was 14 days and I knew the timetable from the 3rd day. Apparently if any of the early tests had came back negative they would have cancelled subsequent ones. So strictly speaking the fact I had the bone scan meant I had a positive biopsy, but I was naive to all this medical stuff at the time.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 12:09

Hi Phil

my results took 4 weeks to come through from PCH in Peterborough. I suspect it varies by area, but you should get them very soon hopefully.

Ian.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 15:45

It took 18 days for me to get my biopsy results here in the south of England. That was before the various doctor's strikes. I am assuming they have created a bottleneck, but may be wrong.

All the best

Tom 

User
Posted 26 Nov 2023 at 16:28

Hi, Phil I had my results and a face to face within 2 weeks, I'm in the Forth Valley Hospital Scotland,  cheers 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2023 at 19:55

Hi Phil,

My dad's biopsy results took 5 weeks to come back. He had his results today. 

We are in South Wales so it sounds like all areas are very different. His MRI results took two weeks. 

He now has bone scan on Friday so hopefully the wait for the results of that dont take too long. 

Waiting is horrible. Hope all goes well for you 

User
Posted 28 Nov 2023 at 17:43

My husband is waiting for biopsy results but has been told he will hear within two weeks. He was referred in September so NHS targets may as well not exist, although his was an urgent referral and his MRI came out as PIRADS 5. He has bone and CT scans this weekend so we are expecting a consultation next week and will follow up vociferously if we don’t hear. My recommendation is to chase, chase, chase even if you come over as deranged. Whenever we make phone calls to find out what’s happening we make progress. Waiting is horrible, really good luck. 

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 17:17

Hello all, first post. Thanks to all for the invaluable contributions.

Had my biopsy on Thursday and was told that to expect results in 6 to 8 weeks time. Long wait ....

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 17:52

My results ended up taking 7 weeks. It is a really long wait, hopefully you'll get yours sooner.

My results came back with stage 3a cancer with treatment options of surgery or radiotherapy. 

5 weeks later and I saw the surgeon, still 2 more weeks to see the oncologist. I really hope that some areas of the country are getting shorter waiting times.

It can be/is very stressful but stay strong.

Hoping your results are good. 

Take care.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 18:03

Hi Bernie,

Sorry to see you've had to find us but welcome to the club.

Adrian.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 13:17
Thank you PhilR1403 and Adrian.
User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 10:32

Adrian.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 11:06

That's great news mate!

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 13:01

Fantastic news mate. Thanks for the update. I'm cracking a can of lager to celebrate with you. 

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 20:31
we love endings like this - congratulations!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard