Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Shrinking penis?

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 20:15

Hi 

Diagnosed with PC, Gleason score 7 (3+4) and I am just starting initial hormone treatment. Only worry is side effect on penis. I am 76 and for the last few years my old chap, when flaccid,  has been slowly shrinking, down to almost not there, except when erect. I read that the hormone treatment can change the size of my penis, so I am extra worried about further "shrinkage". Has anybody else been in this situation?

Oldgraf

User
Posted 02 Dec 2023 at 22:18

It's a big issue that proactive sexual and other types of support are missing in most treatment centres. This is something I bring up with clinicians when I can. I've done a conference presentation on it, and a class for trainee CNS's, and also a presentation for staff at one particular hospital. About 200 clinicians have been at my Surviving Hormone Therapy presentations (or variations of it just for clinicians).

At the most base level, few clinicians actually have much idea about the real impact of hormone therapy and how to look after patients on it. Hormone therapy is often initiated in urology at the same time they refer you to oncology. A point I've brought up many times with clinicians is that you can't give informed consent for a treatment if you haven't been told what the issues with it are and how to look after yourself on the treatment. I don't actually think most of the clinicians prescribing Hormone Therapy would be able to describe that, even supposing they had the time (which they don't in a 20 min consultation). Hormone therapy is really an oncology treatment rather than a urology treatment, but even if oncology were responsible for initiating it, I don't think the patient awareness of the issues would be any better.

When oncologists have been surveyed about support for patients on hormone therapy and in particular sexual support, they think patients should be getting support, but that is isn't their responsibility. When asked if they proactively refer patients for this support, they say no. Even for the few patients who do pluck up the courage to ask, in many cases no useful support is delivered.

One of the great things about support groups is they do discuss these issues, and that does give some patients the courage and empowerment to ask for support, knowing what should be available.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 23:18
Old Graf, it is caused by the lack of testosterone. As you have got older, your testosterone levels have dropped naturally and now the hormone treatment has wiped out the rest!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Dec 2023 at 00:17

Anyone on hormone therapy must ensure they still have regular erections to preserve function, size, and prevent fibrosis of the corpus cavernosum (the erectile part of the penis) which will cause shrinkage, change in shape, and reduction/loss of erectile function. This is important even if you won't be interested in erections or sex again, because it can lead to buried penis (so you can't stand to pee or keep things clean), and phimosis.

Around 20% of guys on HT can still get natural erections, and use of PDE5 inhibitors can increase that and produce better erections. Failing that, you should be using a pump every 1-2 days.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2023 at 21:07

Hi Bean121,

I know what you mean, I also feel the support for those going through HT is JUST NOT THERE from the NHS. I developed Peyronie’s diseases because of HT treatment and lack of use. Before I started HT I had a great sex life but the problem is with no libido you just have no interest in sex and you kind of have to force yourself….but if you persevere and experiment you can still have a lot of fun…it’s just different. I had to go private to get my Peyronie’s diagnosis and the consultant wrote a letter to my GP advising him that I needed a vacum pump.

I got the Somacorrect pump which has definitely made a difference to my size and ability to get an erection, and my Peyronie’s IS getting better.

I find you have to be VERY a proactive in getting the support you need whilst going through HT.

Good Luck,,

Derek

User
Posted 03 Dec 2023 at 19:29
I was on Zoladex for 3yrs from Oct/Nov 2015 (plus abiraterone&enzalutimide on trial for 2 of those years). Have to say I wasnt aware of having to 'look after' my penis etc. Obviously there was no desire there at all. I didnt notice much of this advice anywhere at the time and I thought I was being quite good. However, I have obviously been pretty fortunate as once the HT had worn off etc have no problem with natural erections etc despite no pumps etc.

Saying that I'm sure if I was aware of any risks I would have taken the appropriate action, as has been said being aware is the important thing isnt it.

Peter

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 22:23

Hi Oldgraf,

You need to get yourself an appointment with the ED Clinic if you can. Or if not try and get your GP to prescribe a vacum pump such as the Somaerect and they also might prescribe Tadalafil. You need to exercise your old chap to make him younger again and stop further shrinkage. You can also buy a cheap pump on Lovehoney for about £30. They will do the job but are not nearly as good as the Somaerect in my experience.

So…..Get Pumping to keep him fit for Humping! It’s certainly helped with me😊

Good Luck,

Derek

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 22:43

Mine certainly has shrunk on HT.  Shrivelled away to almost nothing to be honest!  No idea what it would be like erect now as thanks to the HT I haven't had a hard-on in nearly four years.  Assume it would also be shorter in that state.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2023 at 20:18

I understand what you're saying but then why isn't that advice routinely given out by the NHS to anyone on HT?  I started on Zoladex for a three year course in Jan 2020.  At no time during that three years was the subject of ED raised by them, or any advice proffered as to use of a pump to maintain penile health and offset future problems.  I took it for granted that my libido would disappear and I'd face total ED but I never thought it would have long term implications because they never told me it would.  As I mentioned in my earlier comment I haven't had an erection in nearly four years. From what you say I may face difficulty when my testosterone eventually returns.  It doesn't trouble me personally,  I'm 68 and haven't been in a relationship since my marriage ended 10 years ago, and am very unlikely to ever be in another now.  Given that, a libido would be nothing but an inconvenience to me.  But the NHS weren't to know that, and as I said the subject has never been raised by them and no advice offered.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 22:04
Don't know about HT but mine is the same post RARP - at times it can completely disappear but recovers with the VED. Quite amusing if it wasn't so disturbing LOL
User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 22:23

Hi Oldgraf,

You need to get yourself an appointment with the ED Clinic if you can. Or if not try and get your GP to prescribe a vacum pump such as the Somaerect and they also might prescribe Tadalafil. You need to exercise your old chap to make him younger again and stop further shrinkage. You can also buy a cheap pump on Lovehoney for about £30. They will do the job but are not nearly as good as the Somaerect in my experience.

So…..Get Pumping to keep him fit for Humping! It’s certainly helped with me😊

Good Luck,

Derek

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 22:43

Mine certainly has shrunk on HT.  Shrivelled away to almost nothing to be honest!  No idea what it would be like erect now as thanks to the HT I haven't had a hard-on in nearly four years.  Assume it would also be shorter in that state.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 23:18
Old Graf, it is caused by the lack of testosterone. As you have got older, your testosterone levels have dropped naturally and now the hormone treatment has wiped out the rest!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Dec 2023 at 00:17

Anyone on hormone therapy must ensure they still have regular erections to preserve function, size, and prevent fibrosis of the corpus cavernosum (the erectile part of the penis) which will cause shrinkage, change in shape, and reduction/loss of erectile function. This is important even if you won't be interested in erections or sex again, because it can lead to buried penis (so you can't stand to pee or keep things clean), and phimosis.

Around 20% of guys on HT can still get natural erections, and use of PDE5 inhibitors can increase that and produce better erections. Failing that, you should be using a pump every 1-2 days.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2023 at 20:18

I understand what you're saying but then why isn't that advice routinely given out by the NHS to anyone on HT?  I started on Zoladex for a three year course in Jan 2020.  At no time during that three years was the subject of ED raised by them, or any advice proffered as to use of a pump to maintain penile health and offset future problems.  I took it for granted that my libido would disappear and I'd face total ED but I never thought it would have long term implications because they never told me it would.  As I mentioned in my earlier comment I haven't had an erection in nearly four years. From what you say I may face difficulty when my testosterone eventually returns.  It doesn't trouble me personally,  I'm 68 and haven't been in a relationship since my marriage ended 10 years ago, and am very unlikely to ever be in another now.  Given that, a libido would be nothing but an inconvenience to me.  But the NHS weren't to know that, and as I said the subject has never been raised by them and no advice offered.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2023 at 21:07

Hi Bean121,

I know what you mean, I also feel the support for those going through HT is JUST NOT THERE from the NHS. I developed Peyronie’s diseases because of HT treatment and lack of use. Before I started HT I had a great sex life but the problem is with no libido you just have no interest in sex and you kind of have to force yourself….but if you persevere and experiment you can still have a lot of fun…it’s just different. I had to go private to get my Peyronie’s diagnosis and the consultant wrote a letter to my GP advising him that I needed a vacum pump.

I got the Somacorrect pump which has definitely made a difference to my size and ability to get an erection, and my Peyronie’s IS getting better.

I find you have to be VERY a proactive in getting the support you need whilst going through HT.

Good Luck,,

Derek

User
Posted 02 Dec 2023 at 22:18

It's a big issue that proactive sexual and other types of support are missing in most treatment centres. This is something I bring up with clinicians when I can. I've done a conference presentation on it, and a class for trainee CNS's, and also a presentation for staff at one particular hospital. About 200 clinicians have been at my Surviving Hormone Therapy presentations (or variations of it just for clinicians).

At the most base level, few clinicians actually have much idea about the real impact of hormone therapy and how to look after patients on it. Hormone therapy is often initiated in urology at the same time they refer you to oncology. A point I've brought up many times with clinicians is that you can't give informed consent for a treatment if you haven't been told what the issues with it are and how to look after yourself on the treatment. I don't actually think most of the clinicians prescribing Hormone Therapy would be able to describe that, even supposing they had the time (which they don't in a 20 min consultation). Hormone therapy is really an oncology treatment rather than a urology treatment, but even if oncology were responsible for initiating it, I don't think the patient awareness of the issues would be any better.

When oncologists have been surveyed about support for patients on hormone therapy and in particular sexual support, they think patients should be getting support, but that is isn't their responsibility. When asked if they proactively refer patients for this support, they say no. Even for the few patients who do pluck up the courage to ask, in many cases no useful support is delivered.

One of the great things about support groups is they do discuss these issues, and that does give some patients the courage and empowerment to ask for support, knowing what should be available.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2023 at 10:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
 About 200 clinicians have been at my Surviving Hormone Therapy presentations (or variations of it just for clinicians).

You need to get that recorded on video and posted on YouTube!
There are some great videos already but most seem focussed on RARP and not HT/RT.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2023 at 16:21
Hi Old Graf, don't worry pal if you ever saw the film The Incredible Shrinking Man he realised that as much as he shrunk he still existed, just got smaller.

I think that all of us on long term or lifetime HT can relate to his experience.☹️

User
Posted 03 Dec 2023 at 19:29
I was on Zoladex for 3yrs from Oct/Nov 2015 (plus abiraterone&enzalutimide on trial for 2 of those years). Have to say I wasnt aware of having to 'look after' my penis etc. Obviously there was no desire there at all. I didnt notice much of this advice anywhere at the time and I thought I was being quite good. However, I have obviously been pretty fortunate as once the HT had worn off etc have no problem with natural erections etc despite no pumps etc.

Saying that I'm sure if I was aware of any risks I would have taken the appropriate action, as has been said being aware is the important thing isnt it.

Peter