Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just received blood test - raised PSA levels

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 11:26

Hi all

Just received my blood test results back after going for a routine test MOT due to my age '47'. 

I was slightly alarmed when I got the following message ' Your results have shown a raised PSA other tests are satisfactory' 

Firstly I was glad the other tests were ok but then googled 'raised PSA' which threw me into a state of panic. I checked my records and the PSA level is showing as 6 which seems high for my age. I am not going to overthink the situation as i am booked in for another blood test in a few weeks as advised by the doctor but just needed a little reassurance as this is the first time I have experienced anything like this. thanks for reading 

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 15:11

Hopefully all will turn out ok. The PSA test is just not accurate enough to be very useful. It produces false positives and false negatives. Another PSA is useful, but a DRE (finger up the bum) would probably get to the bottom of this quite fast. If the doctor feels a problem, then yes you need the full MRI biopsy treatment. If all clear, just monitoring your PSA for a few years might show, you just happen to have a high natural PSA.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 15:30

Hi tsmith77,

It’s easy to say Don’t Panic but when it’s YOU, I know it’s not easy!
Until you have your next blood test and possibly a DRE, it’s difficult to say but as I understand it other things can raise your PSA level. You may also require other scans, tests and biopsies.

So, in that meantime try and remain positive, keep yourself active and busy and be kind to yourself. Hopefully that will ease the anxiety.

I wish you good luck and hope the next result is good news.🤞🤞🤞

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 15:11

Hopefully all will turn out ok. The PSA test is just not accurate enough to be very useful. It produces false positives and false negatives. Another PSA is useful, but a DRE (finger up the bum) would probably get to the bottom of this quite fast. If the doctor feels a problem, then yes you need the full MRI biopsy treatment. If all clear, just monitoring your PSA for a few years might show, you just happen to have a high natural PSA.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 15:30

Hi tsmith77,

It’s easy to say Don’t Panic but when it’s YOU, I know it’s not easy!
Until you have your next blood test and possibly a DRE, it’s difficult to say but as I understand it other things can raise your PSA level. You may also require other scans, tests and biopsies.

So, in that meantime try and remain positive, keep yourself active and busy and be kind to yourself. Hopefully that will ease the anxiety.

I wish you good luck and hope the next result is good news.🤞🤞🤞

Derek

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:30

Thanks guys. On reflection, I might be worrying about something or nothing who knows, next step is another blood test and we will take it from there, thanks again 

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:39

My friends PSA was 6.9 and he didn’t have cancer.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 17:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I was slightly alarmed when I got the following message ' Your results have shown a raised PSA other tests are satisfactory' 

Hello mate,

Nice to meet you, but we could have picked a better venue.

There are a lot of reasons that may have caused your PSA to rise

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/prostate-tests/psa-blood-test#:~:text=Prostate%20problems%2C%20such%20as%20an,can%20raise%20your%20PSA%20level.

Fingers crossed.

Adrian

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 17:13  | Reason: Typos!