Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Which is the best PET scan?

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 16:37

Hi all,

That the unfortunate news that my PSA is at 0.32 two months after my prostatectomy.

Im heading for SRT and my  hospital has offered me a PET F18 scan to check for any spread.

After some research I read that the PSMA Gallium scan is better at detecting any spread.

I would be grateful for any advice on this from anyone.

Thanks

Mark 

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 17:13

Mark ,my first f18 1007 picked up one tumor, which was treated. My second scan six months later and was Gallium 68, which picked up a second tumor and saw a residue in the first tumor. My radiologist did comment the second tumor was the smallest she had ever treated. 

The first one was on the NHS ,the second was paid for by my insurance company.

First scan was at 1.4 and second one at 4.6. my scans and treatment were a few years after salvage RT to the prostate bed.

I am sure the scholars will have ave an answer.

Thanks 

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 17:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 17:50

I've dug this link out of my previous threads (originally passed on by Old Barry). It's probably a bit dated now but you may find it of interest.

https://www.prostatecancer.news/2016/12/pet-scans-for-prostate-cancer.html

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 18:27
Maybe read my profile ? My post op psa was 1.5 and rising quickly. Quite a lot of lymph node spread so I rejected SRT and was right in that decision. I had both Choline and Gallium PETS but neither showed anything anywhere. And further CT and bone scans showed nothing. My psa was over 1000 before it all popped up in my spine and more lymph nodes. I’m glad I rejected RT and earlier HT. I’ve been living a great life in the meantime. I’m incurable but always was and I’m 81/2 yrs on now. Good luck 🤞
User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 20:30

Dr Kwon has a utube video on the different PET scans and which ones are best at what.

https://youtu.be/81iAzYV39Gw?si=_NjVoc3QzwIQ29lZ

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 20:33  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 17:13

Mark ,my first f18 1007 picked up one tumor, which was treated. My second scan six months later and was Gallium 68, which picked up a second tumor and saw a residue in the first tumor. My radiologist did comment the second tumor was the smallest she had ever treated. 

The first one was on the NHS ,the second was paid for by my insurance company.

First scan was at 1.4 and second one at 4.6. my scans and treatment were a few years after salvage RT to the prostate bed.

I am sure the scholars will have ave an answer.

Thanks 

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 17:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 17:50

I've dug this link out of my previous threads (originally passed on by Old Barry). It's probably a bit dated now but you may find it of interest.

https://www.prostatecancer.news/2016/12/pet-scans-for-prostate-cancer.html

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 18:27
Maybe read my profile ? My post op psa was 1.5 and rising quickly. Quite a lot of lymph node spread so I rejected SRT and was right in that decision. I had both Choline and Gallium PETS but neither showed anything anywhere. And further CT and bone scans showed nothing. My psa was over 1000 before it all popped up in my spine and more lymph nodes. I’m glad I rejected RT and earlier HT. I’ve been living a great life in the meantime. I’m incurable but always was and I’m 81/2 yrs on now. Good luck 🤞
User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 20:30

Dr Kwon has a utube video on the different PET scans and which ones are best at what.

https://youtu.be/81iAzYV39Gw?si=_NjVoc3QzwIQ29lZ

Edited by member 06 Dec 2023 at 20:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Dec 2023 at 21:18

Thank you so much everyone for all your replies and the information.

lots of reading to do now.

This is a fantastic forum.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Best wishes 

Mark