I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Life expectancy metastatic prostate cancer

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 11:55

I have tried to post this previously but for some reason access was denied?? I have just been told that my cancer has returned and is now in my lymph glands and bones. I have been trying to look up information but can find no reassurance. Reports say that life expectancy for metastatic prostate cancer is now 5-6 years but then on the next line say that 5 year survival is only 28%. Does this mean that the life expectancy of 5-6 years just applies to the 28%?

Also more worrying does that mean that the positive survival stories on this site just apply to 28% of the overall metastatic prostate cancer cases? I am extremely anxious worried and confused

Philip

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 15:14
Depends when they are measuring it from and to, Philip.

From diagnosis (or from the point at which metastatic recurrence is identified) to death is probably more like 8-10 years - some members here are beyond 15 years. This assumes that the person is put on HT for the first time, or HT is restarted

For men who are already on long-term HT when their cancer progresses and becomes metastatic, 5-6 years is a good outcome - many will not last that long. It used to be that metastatic progression to death was 2 years at most but so many exciting and novel treatments have been developed so more men are living longer.

For a man who has metastatic PCa and then becomes hormone independent / castrate resistant, 2 years is probably about right - research / trial data for treatments such as abiraterone, enzalutimide, apalutimide suggest that, if prescribed after the man becomes hormone independent, these treatments can extend life by between 3 - 18 months

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 15:17
When starting a new thread, you will get the 'access denied' message if you have chosen a thread title that already exists. After all these years of PCUK, I suspect it is getting harder & harder to come up with new, innovative subject headings.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 16:00

I don’t think anyone can really tell how one person will react to treatment etc. so giving a life expectancy probably isn’t  easy, dh was treated with brachy 9 years ago. The cancer has now returned in several lymph nodes (more than likely been in the nodes all the time) He started on ht almost 2 months ago and enzalutamide today. His consultant says life expectancy of 3-6 years. But I’ve seen people on forums with more advanced disease than dh with spread to bones who are still here many years later. I will remain optimistic and hope he’s here much longer that the 6 years. Our youngest son is 14 we haven’t told him yet, nor the other 2 (one is travelling the other at uni) 

Edited by member 09 Dec 2023 at 16:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 21:02
"Or die of side effects of medication."

Yes, sadly that is sometimes what happens but many thousands of men have enza / abi / apa without developing those conditions

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 13:20
Hi Philip every individual case is different. Like others on here at diagnosis I was told only 30% survive over 5 years.

When I asked my Onco for a prognosis back in 2018 I was told based on my diagnosis age and health with spread to my bones I would have 2 maybe 3 years. So although I feel lucky to have survived longer it's still a pisser to contract the disease in the first place.

Just got to keep yourself fit.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 13:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I have tried to post this previously but for some reason access was denied??

I had the same problem. When you start a new conversation, you have to pick a topic to which it relates, then press a confirm box that appears. I think. 🙂

Our site's information and advice on advanced cancer:

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/just-diagnosed/advanced-prostate-cancer

Cancer Research UK give 50% for 5 years or more for stage 4 prostate cancer.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/prostate-cancer/survival

Edited by member 08 Dec 2023 at 14:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 15:14
Depends when they are measuring it from and to, Philip.

From diagnosis (or from the point at which metastatic recurrence is identified) to death is probably more like 8-10 years - some members here are beyond 15 years. This assumes that the person is put on HT for the first time, or HT is restarted

For men who are already on long-term HT when their cancer progresses and becomes metastatic, 5-6 years is a good outcome - many will not last that long. It used to be that metastatic progression to death was 2 years at most but so many exciting and novel treatments have been developed so more men are living longer.

For a man who has metastatic PCa and then becomes hormone independent / castrate resistant, 2 years is probably about right - research / trial data for treatments such as abiraterone, enzalutimide, apalutimide suggest that, if prescribed after the man becomes hormone independent, these treatments can extend life by between 3 - 18 months

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 15:17
When starting a new thread, you will get the 'access denied' message if you have chosen a thread title that already exists. After all these years of PCUK, I suspect it is getting harder & harder to come up with new, innovative subject headings.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 16:00

I don’t think anyone can really tell how one person will react to treatment etc. so giving a life expectancy probably isn’t  easy, dh was treated with brachy 9 years ago. The cancer has now returned in several lymph nodes (more than likely been in the nodes all the time) He started on ht almost 2 months ago and enzalutamide today. His consultant says life expectancy of 3-6 years. But I’ve seen people on forums with more advanced disease than dh with spread to bones who are still here many years later. I will remain optimistic and hope he’s here much longer that the 6 years. Our youngest son is 14 we haven’t told him yet, nor the other 2 (one is travelling the other at uni) 

Edited by member 09 Dec 2023 at 16:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 18:08

Lyn I much prefer your prognosis of 8-10 years after metastatic diagnosis to my DH’s consultants of 3-6 years. 

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 20:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
But I’ve seen people on forums with more advanced disease than dh with spread to bones who are still here many years later.

To be fair to the doctors, Wiosal, men with mets to the bones do seem to live longer than men with spread to the lymphatic system and definitely do better than men with mets to soft organs such as the liver, brain, kidneys or lungs. The fact is, men don't die of prostate cancer, they die from the associated problems - for example, the bone pain gets worse and they need more & more morphine until they slip into a coma, or they get lymphodema which progresses and stops the critical organs from working, or they get an infection and cannot fight it. My father-in-law developed very sudden & extreme lymphodema and died of multiple organ failure the following day. 

However, you are right that many men are living much longer with metastatic PCa than they did even 10 years ago.   

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 20:38

Or die of side effects of medication. I’ve been reading about much higher risks of high blood pressure, diabetes, strokes etc. on enzalutamide. Dh is already pre diabetic and on statins, his statins are on the list of drugs that enzalutamide can stop working. So I can see more drugs being added soon. 

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 21:02
"Or die of side effects of medication."

Yes, sadly that is sometimes what happens but many thousands of men have enza / abi / apa without developing those conditions