Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rising - chemo next?

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 21:02

Dear all,

A long overdue update about my dear dad who turned 82 a few months ago.

His PSA was 1.7 in June. At his next checkup in Sept it had risen to 2 but the doctor wasn't too concerned.

Yesterday his PSA was measured at 5.51. This suggests a doubling time of only 3 months. The doc is worried and wants a PSMA scan to decide what to do next. He is being passed on to the oncologist for possible chemo.

It has all been a whirl... hard to take all of the info in - the doc mentioned possible treatment with the very expensive olaparib drug even though my dad has tested negative for all the genetic markers.. the urologist said it could still work albeit less effectively... but the recommendation may be a round of chemo - the next steps will be determined by what the PSMA scan shows.

My dad is still on HT injections and apalutamide right now but he feels confused - the HT seems to be ceasing to work well after about 13-14 months; he is terrified of doing chemo. His current QoL is not too bad, he has no pain from his bone mets and has a good appetite. He is just allergic to exercise and his walking has become unsteady - he suffered a few recent falls which have knocked his confidence.

The doc is trying to sound encouraging and suggested that stats show life expectancy of 4-6 years with treatment, of men like my dad.... I just don't really know what to think though! Having a hard time getting my head around all this.

Ru (aka WW)

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 22:54

Hi Ru,

My dad was diagnosed at 77 years. I ashamedly, have no idea what his PSA was or what stage the cancer was either. 

He had regular hormone injections and was on tablets. He soldiered on for another 11 years. He'd always had trouble getting up for a wee at night's. Often half a dozen times a night and that gradually got worse.

Despite being very tired and weak, he got on with life. Sadly he did go downhill about a month before he passed away. I took him for a scan about that time which revealed he had extensive disease in his pelvis, hips and lower back. Poor old boy.

A week before he died. Mum telephoned to say she couldn't cope with him anymore, so I went to stay for his last few days. I'm so glad I did.

Selfishly, it wasn't until I got the disease, that I discovered the profound affect it has on you. It was only at this stage that I realised how brave he'd been.

I don't know if it's any comfort to you but most men in their eighties have the disease. Its more a question of to what extent

Adrian

Edited by member 11 Dec 2023 at 08:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 09:37

Hi WW

I understand exactly how your dad feels all be it I am much younger than your dad,as you may no if you have read my profile my PSA has slowly been rising over the last few months now (last test 13.5) been on enzalutamide around 15 months and have also been rejected for olaparib,I've had my up and downs but QOL has not been to bad but I have certainly slowed down since being diagnosed,big week coming up with spine scan,blood test and onco appointment,I know chemo is just around the corner and I do worry and my wife even more,but what can we do?we just gotta o the best we can which I'm sure your dad is doing.

All the best wishes to yourself and your family and I shall update my thread after onco appointment.

Phil

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 22:54

Hi Ru,

My dad was diagnosed at 77 years. I ashamedly, have no idea what his PSA was or what stage the cancer was either. 

He had regular hormone injections and was on tablets. He soldiered on for another 11 years. He'd always had trouble getting up for a wee at night's. Often half a dozen times a night and that gradually got worse.

Despite being very tired and weak, he got on with life. Sadly he did go downhill about a month before he passed away. I took him for a scan about that time which revealed he had extensive disease in his pelvis, hips and lower back. Poor old boy.

A week before he died. Mum telephoned to say she couldn't cope with him anymore, so I went to stay for his last few days. I'm so glad I did.

Selfishly, it wasn't until I got the disease, that I discovered the profound affect it has on you. It was only at this stage that I realised how brave he'd been.

I don't know if it's any comfort to you but most men in their eighties have the disease. Its more a question of to what extent

Adrian

Edited by member 11 Dec 2023 at 08:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 09:37

Hi WW

I understand exactly how your dad feels all be it I am much younger than your dad,as you may no if you have read my profile my PSA has slowly been rising over the last few months now (last test 13.5) been on enzalutamide around 15 months and have also been rejected for olaparib,I've had my up and downs but QOL has not been to bad but I have certainly slowed down since being diagnosed,big week coming up with spine scan,blood test and onco appointment,I know chemo is just around the corner and I do worry and my wife even more,but what can we do?we just gotta o the best we can which I'm sure your dad is doing.

All the best wishes to yourself and your family and I shall update my thread after onco appointment.

Phil

User
Posted 10 Dec 2023 at 23:05

Phil, I have been reading and following your posts - there are strong parallels between your case and my dad's except for your respective ages!

I don't post much in here, it breaks my heart to see my dad living from one appointment to the next and wondering when the sword of Damocles will fall for him... he is terrified of doing chemo, he thinks he'd rather quit as if quitting was really an option now...

The doc suggested that olaparib might still have a positive effect even though he has tested negative for all the genetic markers. He has to pay privately where he lives and this may become prohibitively expensive. But we're awaiting the scan to see what to do next.

You are all in my thoughts. Thanks for the responses.

Ru (WW)