Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Whats Going On??

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 12:03

Hi All,

OK - I had my treatment plan all set for a Gleason 4+4 DX back in August. The plan was to start 6 months HT this month in Dec and then in June next year follow up with 20 sessions of EBRT and follow up with HDR Brachy Boost. Then another 12 months HT. I had psyched myself up for this plan when my RO suggested I get another PSA test done first. I did. To our surprise, it had gone from 8.1 in August to 4.9 in a few days ago. My RO said he hasn't got any explanation as to why it had dropped seeing no treatment has happened at all since DX back in August. I said that before I started HT I wanted to have another MRI to see what the heck is going on. My RO said that is a reasonable request and so I hope to have this done in a couple of weeks. 

My question is, has anyone else experienced this happening or maybe some can provide an answer as to why this has happened? To be honest I was expecting a high PSA reading for an untreated G8 PCa but to have it go down by 40% is surprising. Any suggestions??? 

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 13:59

My PSA fell from 28 to 21 over a three week period during diagnosis. The reason I was diagnosed was because I had urinary retention and a trip to AandE. Remember prostate cancer has no symptoms.

The only explanation I can think for this is that, I suspect the retention was caused by infection not by cancer. MRI and biopsy showed G9 T3 cancer. 

Without the urinary retention I assume I would not have been diagnosed early, but rather when it was too late. I guess there is a tiny possibility that there is some cell abnormality which looks like cancer but which isn't, but by normal modern standard of diagnosis I passed all tests for cancer, with the exception of my high PSA falling from very high to very high (yes I did mean to say very high twice).

Everyone's immune system is destroying new cancer cells everyday. Once a tumour gets established the immune cells obviously missed it and aren't likely to catch up. There are a few cases in the entire worlds population of people properly diagnosed with modern techniques where the tumour has disappeared, we are talking less than one in a million though. Let's hope it's your luck day.

Dave

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 20:45

I think the most likely explanation is that about 4.8 of your PSA in August was down to the active cancer cells, about 0.1 was being produced in other parts of your body (which is normal) and the other 3.2 was due to some unidentified infection / inflammation which has since resolved itself. Alternatively, did your GP do the DRE before he took the blood sample?

It is also common to change lifestyle somewhat when you get a cancer diagnosis, even if that is subconsciously. You may have been eating more healthily since August, reduced your alcohol consumption, etc.

Edited by member 09 Dec 2023 at 20:45  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 22:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My question is, has anyone else experienced this happening or maybe some can provide an answer as to why this has happened? To be honest I was expecting a high PSA reading for an untreated G8 PCa but to have it go down by 40% is surprising. Any suggestions??? 

my husband was referred on 2WW at psa 20.15, blood taken at bone scan a few weeks later 5.9 and then again at biopsy a month later 2.8. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer but the high reading was believed to be asymptomatic prostatitis. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 13:59

My PSA fell from 28 to 21 over a three week period during diagnosis. The reason I was diagnosed was because I had urinary retention and a trip to AandE. Remember prostate cancer has no symptoms.

The only explanation I can think for this is that, I suspect the retention was caused by infection not by cancer. MRI and biopsy showed G9 T3 cancer. 

Without the urinary retention I assume I would not have been diagnosed early, but rather when it was too late. I guess there is a tiny possibility that there is some cell abnormality which looks like cancer but which isn't, but by normal modern standard of diagnosis I passed all tests for cancer, with the exception of my high PSA falling from very high to very high (yes I did mean to say very high twice).

Everyone's immune system is destroying new cancer cells everyday. Once a tumour gets established the immune cells obviously missed it and aren't likely to catch up. There are a few cases in the entire worlds population of people properly diagnosed with modern techniques where the tumour has disappeared, we are talking less than one in a million though. Let's hope it's your luck day.

Dave

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 20:45

I think the most likely explanation is that about 4.8 of your PSA in August was down to the active cancer cells, about 0.1 was being produced in other parts of your body (which is normal) and the other 3.2 was due to some unidentified infection / inflammation which has since resolved itself. Alternatively, did your GP do the DRE before he took the blood sample?

It is also common to change lifestyle somewhat when you get a cancer diagnosis, even if that is subconsciously. You may have been eating more healthily since August, reduced your alcohol consumption, etc.

Edited by member 09 Dec 2023 at 20:45  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 22:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

my husband was referred on 2WW at psa 20.15, blood taken at bone scan a few weeks later 5.9 and then again at biopsy a month later 2.8. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer but the high reading was believed to be asymptomatic prostatitis. 

User
Posted 10 Dec 2023 at 20:15
A lot of sexual activity, in the days before a blood test is taken, can raise PSA quite a lot.

It's one of the many reasons why men are not tested in the same way, the Ladies are for Cancer.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2023 at 22:55
An orgasm can raise the PSA but only by about 10% and only in the 24 hours immediately following.