I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Other procedures for incontinence

User
Posted 11 Dec 2023 at 12:20

Has anyone had an artificial urinary sphincter fitted. If you have had the procedure was it successful?

User
Posted 11 Dec 2023 at 12:20

Has anyone had an artificial urinary sphincter fitted. If you have had the procedure was it successful?

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 21:55
I had one fitted in January 23. Fairly painless procedure. Activated 6 weeks later and........... it didn't work. big disappointment! X-ray showed that the 'clip' had failed on the sphincter and it had opened up instead of being wrapped around the urethra. Basically, it was NBG.

They gave me a quick(ish) turn around and a second AUS procedure, fitting a completely new AUS in August and activated early October.

Instant cure! Transformative! Got my like back in a way I thought gone for good. Minimal drippage, no more thick and heavy pads, can walk past a loo without stopping. No leakage when horizontal jogging.

The surgeon suggested that they had never had a failure of the AUS before and she intended to circuate the information regarding the failure to her contemporaries. It was gutting when it didn't work but the Mk 2 version has been everything that I had hoped for and more.

My incontinence was 'continuous drippage' when upright and active - as opposed to 'caught short and can't hold on any longer' if that makes sense. Prostatectomy on 2018 followed by hormmone treatment and radiotherapy in 2019. I had the whole nine yards of possible treatments. Was a bit leaky after the operation but the radio killed off any recovery. I could fill my bladder overnight but as soon as I stood up the drip would start. I very rarely needed to pee if up and about, it dripped away as soon as it arrived

As far as the AUS is concerned - Its brilliant. For my situation,can't recommend it too highly.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Dec 2023 at 14:06

Hi

Tony has posted a very informative post on this ……. see : https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t11152-Artificial-Sphincter--AUS----Diary-of-experiences

However it would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has had an AUS.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 21:55
I had one fitted in January 23. Fairly painless procedure. Activated 6 weeks later and........... it didn't work. big disappointment! X-ray showed that the 'clip' had failed on the sphincter and it had opened up instead of being wrapped around the urethra. Basically, it was NBG.

They gave me a quick(ish) turn around and a second AUS procedure, fitting a completely new AUS in August and activated early October.

Instant cure! Transformative! Got my like back in a way I thought gone for good. Minimal drippage, no more thick and heavy pads, can walk past a loo without stopping. No leakage when horizontal jogging.

The surgeon suggested that they had never had a failure of the AUS before and she intended to circuate the information regarding the failure to her contemporaries. It was gutting when it didn't work but the Mk 2 version has been everything that I had hoped for and more.

My incontinence was 'continuous drippage' when upright and active - as opposed to 'caught short and can't hold on any longer' if that makes sense. Prostatectomy on 2018 followed by hormmone treatment and radiotherapy in 2019. I had the whole nine yards of possible treatments. Was a bit leaky after the operation but the radio killed off any recovery. I could fill my bladder overnight but as soon as I stood up the drip would start. I very rarely needed to pee if up and about, it dripped away as soon as it arrived

As far as the AUS is concerned - Its brilliant. For my situation,can't recommend it too highly.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 22:53

Thanks for your reply Stukno.

Very  interesting. I’m looking to the future just in case my Incontinence does not settle. In my consultation with my surgeon he said that if for any reason that I had a problem in the future the procedure would be considered.

regards

stan

User
Posted 13 Dec 2023 at 11:50

The two other surgical procedures I'm aware of are injecting a bulking agent inside the sphincter so it closes off the urethra tighter, or a sling. They aren't suitable for major leakage, and in both cases, I know patients where they haven't worked.

The urologists who attend support groups always say the AMS800 is the gold standard of AUS's, and it's been around over 50 years now. Always beware if someone is proposing to fit a different make. AMS800 has a design life of 10 years, although I know a couple of men who've had it ~12 years and it's still working. It can be changed if necessary and you're still fit enough to be operated on.

AUS's can't be fitted if you have a stricture, until the stricture has been resolved.

User
Posted 13 Dec 2023 at 22:16
Thanks Andy.

I have been leaking more since salvage RT, and spoke to my (surgical) consultant about it the other week. He said the first thing that could be tried was drug treatment - duloxetine. Do you or anyone else here have info on that? Googling, it seems to be a chance discovery of a secondary effect of something originally designed as an antidepressant, with the main (approved) use being for women with pelvic floor issues, typically following childbirth.