I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Drat - PSA is up to 0.12

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 13:58

I had my RARP back in May 23 and my post op PSA was <0.01 and so I was hopeful that my 6 month PSA check would be OK. So I just received it at 0.12 which was not what I had hoped for.

I have an appointment with my urologist on 5/1/24 so will obviously be discussing the next steps, but it does looks like SRT is on the cards.

I knew I should have waiting until after Christmas for the test LOL

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 13:58

I had my RARP back in May 23 and my post op PSA was <0.01 and so I was hopeful that my 6 month PSA check would be OK. So I just received it at 0.12 which was not what I had hoped for.

I have an appointment with my urologist on 5/1/24 so will obviously be discussing the next steps, but it does looks like SRT is on the cards.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 20:06

Sorry to hear of your PSA rise Steve86. The post op upgrade of your PCa was always going to increase the risk of some being left behind somewhere. Let's hope it's just a bit hanging around in the prostate bed. It's now 13 months since my SRT. I've just had my latest PSA test today so it's going to be a bit of nail biting until Friday when I get the result.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 14:11
Yep always book PSA tests for after Xmas! Sorry to hear it's gone up.
User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 15:19

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Sorry to hear of the rise Steve but it appears you've still managed to retain a sense of humour.

It's no good getting morose over these things - I read a quote somewhere that said that there were two types of people - those happy to be alive and those who fear death. I'm of the former :)

User
Posted 13 Dec 2023 at 14:42
Thanks all for your kind comments.

So today I emailed my consultant with the results of the PSA and a couple of questions regarding treatment - was a PET scan needed etc and got this reply (not bad getting a reply within 4 hours of sending it LOL)

"We will check the PSA again in 3 months, I will give you the prescription at our consultation in January. As long as it has not passed 0.2, there is no need to change the treatment. We will discuss carrying out radiotherapy when it reaches this level. There is no need to do a PET scan, the PSA is still much too low."

So I am relaxed that they are not jumping up and down to get anything done urgently. :)

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 14:11
Yep always book PSA tests for after Xmas! Sorry to hear it's gone up.
User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 15:07

Sorry to hear of the rise Steve but it appears you've still managed to retain a sense of humour.

Good luck mate.

Ps Talking of bad timing, they did my RARP on Valentines Day!

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 15:19

It's no good getting morose over these things - I read a quote somewhere that said that there were two types of people - those happy to be alive and those who fear death. I'm of the former :)

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 19:51

Steve,

I love your positivity. Im pretty sure others feel the same. 

They HAVE to.

We need you on here mate.

Love and hope my man.

Jamie.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 20:06

Sorry to hear of your PSA rise Steve86. The post op upgrade of your PCa was always going to increase the risk of some being left behind somewhere. Let's hope it's just a bit hanging around in the prostate bed. It's now 13 months since my SRT. I've just had my latest PSA test today so it's going to be a bit of nail biting until Friday when I get the result.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 20:29

Steve 86,

So sorry to hear this.  It's too bad that you have to wait until after New Year to find out what the next steps are.  I hope you'll be able to distract yourself a little with festive activities to take your mind off it.  Take good care of yourself.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 20:36
Ah no! Sorry to hear that Steve….as mentioned above, let’s hope it’s a few rogue cells in the bed that can be zapped!
User
Posted 13 Dec 2023 at 14:42

So today I emailed my consultant with the results of the PSA and a couple of questions regarding treatment - was a PET scan needed etc and got this reply (not bad getting a reply within 4 hours of sending it LOL)

"We will check the PSA again in 3 months, I will give you the prescription at our consultation in January. As long as it has not passed 0.2, there is no need to change the treatment. We will discuss carrying out radiotherapy when it reaches this level. There is no need to do a PET scan, the PSA is still much too low."

So I am relaxed that they are not jumping up and down to get anything done urgently. :)

User
Posted 13 Dec 2023 at 15:51

That seems to be the standard of care now..

Matron will probably remind me that it has always been so!

Edited by member 13 Dec 2023 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Dec 2023 at 16:17

Hope all goes well in January and you can see off some 🍾🍻 over the festive period.

User
Posted 13 Dec 2023 at 20:19

There is no need to do a PET scan, the PSA is still much too low."

That's got to be encouraging... and as you say, being happy to be here counts for so much.

User
Posted 13 Dec 2023 at 22:09

There is no need to do a PET scan, the PSA is still much too low.

That is what I was told as well. They held off making a decision about radiotherapy referral until PSA reached 0.2 - apparently a few men have detectable PSA which stabilises below that - but then said that the chance of detecting anything on a scan was too small for it to be worth doing until it was over 0.5, and it was much better to get on with the RT rather than wait that long.

I was happy to accept that approach.