I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting Alendronic acid

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 14:02

Hi all, the onco doc is starting me on alendronic acid (a weekly tablet as opposed to the infusion) as my bone scan came back borderline for bone density after 4 1/2 years on HT.

I am familiar with all the instructions on dental health, standing up for at least 30 minutes, etc

Just wondering if anyone else on it has any good or bad experience of it?

I realise that most people only tend to post if they've had problems, so if you've been on it with no hassle please feel free to comment with a thumbs up or similar 😀 

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 14:02

Hi all, the onco doc is starting me on alendronic acid (a weekly tablet as opposed to the infusion) as my bone scan came back borderline for bone density after 4 1/2 years on HT.

I am familiar with all the instructions on dental health, standing up for at least 30 minutes, etc

Just wondering if anyone else on it has any good or bad experience of it?

I realise that most people only tend to post if they've had problems, so if you've been on it with no hassle please feel free to comment with a thumbs up or similar 😀 

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 16:31

Hi - I was put on it just after I started HT just over a year ago. No side  effects so far. My dentist told me in no uncertain terms though that any significant dental treatment would become a bit of a nightmare, so I needed to get on top of flossing, and cut down on sugary stuff. 

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 20:19

Hi Steve559,

I take Alendronic Acid tablets for mild osteoporosis.  However, this was not linked to Hormone Therapy, as I haven't had HT.  I was diagnosed with mild osteoporosis some years ago, when I also discovered that I was gluten-intolerant.  Apparently, osteoporosis is often associated with gluten-intolerance.

I have no problems taking it, although it's a nuisance to have to take it first thing in the morning and have to sit up for 30 minutes before I can have my first cup of coffee of the day, but that's it.  If only prostate treatments were so easy 😀

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 20:36

I was on AA for a short while after being on a high dose of prednisolone for another health issue. I had a full dental check up before starting taking the AA. I found if I took it immediately after getting up, by the time I had had a shower and fed the dog the 30 minutes was up. I had no noticeable side effects.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 16:31

Hi - I was put on it just after I started HT just over a year ago. No side  effects so far. My dentist told me in no uncertain terms though that any significant dental treatment would become a bit of a nightmare, so I needed to get on top of flossing, and cut down on sugary stuff. 

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 20:19

Hi Steve559,

I take Alendronic Acid tablets for mild osteoporosis.  However, this was not linked to Hormone Therapy, as I haven't had HT.  I was diagnosed with mild osteoporosis some years ago, when I also discovered that I was gluten-intolerant.  Apparently, osteoporosis is often associated with gluten-intolerance.

I have no problems taking it, although it's a nuisance to have to take it first thing in the morning and have to sit up for 30 minutes before I can have my first cup of coffee of the day, but that's it.  If only prostate treatments were so easy 😀

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 20:36

I was on AA for a short while after being on a high dose of prednisolone for another health issue. I had a full dental check up before starting taking the AA. I found if I took it immediately after getting up, by the time I had had a shower and fed the dog the 30 minutes was up. I had no noticeable side effects.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 07:31

Started alendronic acid due to bone density concerns after hormone therapy. Interested in hearing experiences, both positive and negative. Share insights!

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 07:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 08:41

Hi 

Well isn't that strange,I'm also starting bondronat(ibandronic acid)today so would also be interested in possible side effects that people have experienced.

Cheers Phil 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 15:13

Hi Phil,

Good question. I’ve been on AA for approx 5 months now, along with the 2x daily Adcal chewy tablets. I did the dentist visit before hand who warned of the potential difficulties should I need some serious dental treatment. I have however recently had a filling with no fuss. 
It’s difficult to work out which side effect is caused by what given the different overlapping treatments for PCa.  I’m on HT (Prostap 16 week injections), and I completed 6x3 weekly chemo (docetaxel) in November. I’ve got HDR brachy to look forward to in Jan 2024 followed by 4 weeks (I think) of external beam radiotherapy. I have experienced many side effects - hot flushes/sweats, fatigue, weight gain, increasing belly and puppy fat around the face, loss of fitness & strength, loss of labido, my private bits shrivelling up, loss of body hair, and there’s probably other things going on in my body that I’m unaware of but I can’t say whether AA has contributed to any of these or not. However, I don’t think AA is adding to these, and I think I can attribute my side effects directly to HT and chemo. Maybe, it is something that I’ll find out about in 3 years time when treatment stops, will my bones be more fragile?
I agree that the AA tablet is a bit of ball ache to take, and to remember to take as it is a weekly one. But c’est la vie. 
Good luck with your treatment and Merry Christmas.

Spongebob

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 02:18

Because of bone density concerns following hormone therapy, I began taking alendronic acid.    dordle