Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

General worries

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 17:36

Hello people,

I have just joined this forum because I am at a loss as to what's happening. Last Saturday night I ha to go to A&E because I couldn't pee. A week previously I had had a cystoscopy and she found an enlarged prostate which was uneven and referred me for a CT and an MRI scan. I am still awaiting the results of these.

At A&E, they inserted a catheter and while it was uncomfortable, I was managing. Today, I started taking the prescribed Tamsulosin for any bladder spasms and things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. Before taking these, my catheter would just slowly fill up but since taking my first tablet this morning, I'm not getting a constant dribble but all of a sudden I will get an urge to pee and my catheter will start to fill and at the same time, I get a small amount of leakage from my penis.

I thought catheters were like an open drain and pee would just constantly come out but now, I have to have a spasm before anything moves. This doesn't sound quite right to me, I mean with a catheter inserted I should pee all the time, shouldn't I? I have spoken to my practice but I don't think I got my concerns over well enough.

Can anyone shed light on what is happening?

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 19:28

WM, I did gets lots of small blood clots etc after dilations to a urethral stricture, I did also get some quiet dark coloured urine. I was told Rosé coloured urine was probably okay,  red wine colour needs investigating. On one occasion I did get bright red blood and clots hanging out of the penis, that result in a few days in hospital and a few bladder flushes.

From the voice of experience worrying doesn't make things any better. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 19:47
Thanks Chris, I'm trying not to worry but it's a hard thing to do. Hopefully, I'll get some results in the next couple of days and have a better idea what I'm dealing with. It's nice to talk to someone other than my wife who I know is desperately worried too; it's nice to give her a break.
User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 18:36

WM, I have had a permanent suprapubic catheter for a number of years. What you describe does happen to me, I resist using the word normal.

You need to watch out for a few things, blood coming into the catheter bag, the bag not filling, the bag getting too full, and the catheter and pipe getting bent trapped or kinked. Bypassing where urine comes past the the catheter and out of the penis is frequently mentioned. Bypassing also frequently happens when passing a motion, a bit of tissue under the end of the penis will usually soak up the leak 

Over night I can pass anything from 300 to 1200 mls. My bag is usually very slow to fill in the first two or three hours after getting up but then usually fills at a more regular rate later in the day. If you think about it we don't urinate at regular intervals,well I didn't used to. 

Make sure your hygiene is at its best. Make sure joints are tight. I attach my night bag tube to my ankle while in bed, it saves pulling on the joint to the leg bag. I put my night bag on a stand and put it in a Flexi bag, just in case of leaks. I have only had two night bags leak in over six years.

Instilagel or hydrocaine or optilube are usually available from a pharmacy without prescription,they are gels designed for catheter insertion and maintenance. They are great for easing any soreness in the eye of the penis, they contain anesthetic and antiseptic and lubricant. Boots usually need a prescription,the gels are about £2 a syringe.

If your catheter gets blocked, get off to A&E, urine retention is classed as an emergency and can be dangerous.

I take Regurin aka trospium chloride four bladder spasms.

Hope you get rid of it soon.

Thanks Chris 

Added,the position of the catheter in the bladder can make a big difference to how it flows. Sometimes your catheter can get a bit of debris in it and will then get forced out as the bladder fills and pressure forces it out. 

Edited by member 12 Dec 2023 at 18:44  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 18:14

Hello mate.

Apparently the balloon on the end of the catheter can irritate the bladder lining causing a bladder spasm which forces a stronger, quicker flow of urine that can leak from the penis.

Edited by member 12 Dec 2023 at 18:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 18:36

WM, I have had a permanent suprapubic catheter for a number of years. What you describe does happen to me, I resist using the word normal.

You need to watch out for a few things, blood coming into the catheter bag, the bag not filling, the bag getting too full, and the catheter and pipe getting bent trapped or kinked. Bypassing where urine comes past the the catheter and out of the penis is frequently mentioned. Bypassing also frequently happens when passing a motion, a bit of tissue under the end of the penis will usually soak up the leak 

Over night I can pass anything from 300 to 1200 mls. My bag is usually very slow to fill in the first two or three hours after getting up but then usually fills at a more regular rate later in the day. If you think about it we don't urinate at regular intervals,well I didn't used to. 

Make sure your hygiene is at its best. Make sure joints are tight. I attach my night bag tube to my ankle while in bed, it saves pulling on the joint to the leg bag. I put my night bag on a stand and put it in a Flexi bag, just in case of leaks. I have only had two night bags leak in over six years.

Instilagel or hydrocaine or optilube are usually available from a pharmacy without prescription,they are gels designed for catheter insertion and maintenance. They are great for easing any soreness in the eye of the penis, they contain anesthetic and antiseptic and lubricant. Boots usually need a prescription,the gels are about £2 a syringe.

If your catheter gets blocked, get off to A&E, urine retention is classed as an emergency and can be dangerous.

I take Regurin aka trospium chloride four bladder spasms.

Hope you get rid of it soon.

Thanks Chris 

Added,the position of the catheter in the bladder can make a big difference to how it flows. Sometimes your catheter can get a bit of debris in it and will then get forced out as the bladder fills and pressure forces it out. 

Edited by member 12 Dec 2023 at 18:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 19:02
I do have blood in the urine most of the time and blood leaks out of my penis when having a spasm. It was the blood that caused me to go to the doctor in the first place, although it was a very small amount at the time. A doctor I spoke to says that the blood vessels in an enlarged prostate are very fragile and I think having a tube stuffed into my urethra did me any favours.

I know that blood is not exactly a good sign so I'm rather dreading the MRI result.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 19:28

WM, I did gets lots of small blood clots etc after dilations to a urethral stricture, I did also get some quiet dark coloured urine. I was told Rosé coloured urine was probably okay,  red wine colour needs investigating. On one occasion I did get bright red blood and clots hanging out of the penis, that result in a few days in hospital and a few bladder flushes.

From the voice of experience worrying doesn't make things any better. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 12 Dec 2023 at 19:47
Thanks Chris, I'm trying not to worry but it's a hard thing to do. Hopefully, I'll get some results in the next couple of days and have a better idea what I'm dealing with. It's nice to talk to someone other than my wife who I know is desperately worried too; it's nice to give her a break.
User
Posted 14 Dec 2023 at 13:36
Well, after my MRI, I have been recalled to hospital for a biopsy. Now since they've got better things to do than biopsy health tissue I think I can assume I have cancer and there is no point any longer thinking about how I would deal with just a benignly enlarged prostate. It's obviously not the news I was hoping for.

My immediate concern is how long I have to have this catheter in as it is depressing me, as if I didn't have enough to be depressed about.