I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dribbling!

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 11:01

Six weeks post RARP and waterworks training going well, now down to a small pad all day, just in case, and sometimes dry all day –  In the evenings I get a few “moments” some days but put this down to tiredness. The pelvic floor exercises I am sure have contributed to the progress – I am grateful and feel blessed.

My issue is that after a good coffee or a decent drink when I go to the toilet flow and volume is good but I seem to be able to squirt out a lot of extra short bursts when I flex the “valve” so toileting takes a while to be sure I am done. I keep doing it until I am sure I am done but figure better down the toilet than in the pad after I put the penis away. I wait until I really need to go otherwise, I won’t get any work done Anyone got some advice on this or experiencing the same? Should I shut off the “valve” after the main pee and hope I don’t get a leak once he is put away? This usually happens in the morning and given its winter men of my age (62) pee a lot more anyway when its cold. Thanks. I cannot stress how important it is to persist with the pelvic floor exercises.  You will see improvement even if it is gradual.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 13:41

Graham,still lots happening and healing, I was still passing scabs and debris after a couple of months. I even passed a kidney stone a few weeks after surgery. A less likely cause could be migration of surgical clips into the bladder.

Another trick for getting rid of the last drops is to put your fingers just behind the testicles ,apply a slight pressure and force the urine out. Sorry not very well described, usually easier if sat on the toilet.

Thanks Chris

Added

"How to Reduce Post Micturition Dribble

To push the last remaining drops of urine from the urethra the technique is as follows:

After passing urine, wait for a few seconds to allow the bladder to empty

Place the fingertips of the left hand three finger-breadths behind the scrotum and apply gentle pressure

Keeping the pressure in the mid line, gently but positively draw the fingers forwards towards the base of the penis under the scrotum

This pushes the urine forward into the penile urethra from where it can be emptied by shaking or squeezing in the usual way

Before leaving the toilet, repeat the technique twice to ensure that the urethra is completely empty.

This technique can be practiced at home. When in public toilets it can be done discreetly, with a hand inside a trouser pocket. It only takes a few seconds and may avoid the problem of wet trousers."

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 13:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 22:17
Five months on from the op now and experiencing the odd dribble but confused as to the reasons. I’ve been dry overnight from the start, and rarely have any unexpected leakage. However, when it comes to having a wee, mostly there is no issue but sometimes after I’ve waited and shaken, I tuck myself in and then it dribbles. I can’t work out why it only happens occasionally. I also leak frequently when wiping myself after a poo which I can understand as it’s the pelvic floor muscles.
User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 11:01

Six weeks post RARP and waterworks training going well, now down to a small pad all day, just in case, and sometimes dry all day –  In the evenings I get a few “moments” some days but put this down to tiredness. The pelvic floor exercises I am sure have contributed to the progress – I am grateful and feel blessed.

My issue is that after a good coffee or a decent drink when I go to the toilet flow and volume is good but I seem to be able to squirt out a lot of extra short bursts when I flex the “valve” so toileting takes a while to be sure I am done. I keep doing it until I am sure I am done but figure better down the toilet than in the pad after I put the penis away. I wait until I really need to go otherwise, I won’t get any work done Anyone got some advice on this or experiencing the same? Should I shut off the “valve” after the main pee and hope I don’t get a leak once he is put away? This usually happens in the morning and given its winter men of my age (62) pee a lot more anyway when its cold. Thanks. I cannot stress how important it is to persist with the pelvic floor exercises.  You will see improvement even if it is gradual.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 12:45

Morning Graham,

When I saw Dribbling I thought it was a tribute thread to George Best.

I had the same op about 10 months ago. I was almost completely dry after 7 months. Now I only pad up when I go to the pub, just in case. 

Initially I had all sorts of difficulties when peeing. Weak flows, then strong flows, and regularly sprinkling like a lawn waterer. In fact I often had to pee seated to ensure I hit the pot.

Its seems you're making excellent progress.  I reckon any slight urinary problems you suffering from will in time resolve themselves.

Best of luck. 

Adrian

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 14:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 13:06

I had my prostate out 3 years ago and got pretty fair continence in a few months finally got off the smallest pads, shields, after 5 months. I'm a great fan of an NHS App called Squeezy - it helps time your exercises and gives you reminders, as well as recording them. I was a big help to me.

I think you pee problems will settle down to a level which it either won't happen or you won't notice it.

Soon after the op. I can remember pee going off in different directions - which I think was the same amount of flesh there, but a 1" shorter urethra! This has settled down and stream became straight and consistent.

I take a bit more time than I did before, I can get a late dribble come down, it is best to do what you have said, get it in the loo, rather than in the pad. The thing I remember in the early days is being ok when still and having my mind on my bladder and then having a leak once part of the brain was distracted by me walking or some other activity. It all becomes unconscious over time. Dont worry about frequency, it will get better. A lot of damage was done in there by the surgery!

Good luck and keep doing the exercises! Get Squeezy on your phone.

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 13:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 13:13
Try this - as you stand at the toilet and think you are empty - try coughing. In my case this empties the last bit even though I pee like a horse for the majority.
User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 15:15
I'm also just six weeks post-RARP. Just getting occasional dribbles, usually going from seated to standing, so mostly I'm on one pad (Tena no. 2) per day. It does vary from day to day.

My bugbear is soggy scrotum from the odd dribbles that don't get intercepted by the pad, which ends up being a bit whiffy by the end of the day. Anyone else had this and worked out how to deal with it?

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 16:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My bugbear is soggy scrotum from the odd dribbles that don't get intercepted by the pad, which ends up being a bit whiffy by the end of the day. Anyone else had this and worked out how to deal with it?

I often used to wonder why old men used to smell of pee - now I know firsthand LOL

I encountered the same problem until I realised that washbasins are installed 'cock high', so after a pee, I drop the tackle into the washbasin and give him a good scrub. Wife reminds me to give it a good wipe down with a dettol wipe afterwards - the basin, not the tackle.

Probably not a good idea to try it in public restrooms though!

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 22:54

Depends on how tall you are! 

User
Posted 18 Dec 2023 at 19:48

Hi Graham26,

I had my operation 2 years ago and I suffered the exact same symptoms that you are describing. The coughing/pressure on scrotum trick did not help (I believe that that only works if the problem is caused by pee remaining in the urethra due to the geometry).

After several months of this, I discussed it with my urology nurse who suggested it could be an over active bladder and one thing to try was reducing or eliminating my caffeine intake. I did this, and after a few weeks the problem subsided, so much so, that nowadays, it hardly ever happens. There are still odd days when the problem comes back (typically two or three times during the day) but these are few and far between.

I was never sure whether it was reducing the caffeine that helped, or whether it was just time, but now I've got used to decaffeinated drinks I have no intention of going back to caffeine just to find out!

So, your problem is definitely not unique, and may be try reducing your intake of known bladder irritants to see if that helps. It won't be an instant fix (mine took several weeks before I was definitely able to say things were improving).

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 13:47

Hi Guys, new at this so please bear with. Just had my operation and catheter removed and dribbled everywhere at the start and end of urinating so I went to the shed and got a silicon nozzle so that I could at least direct the flow in a definate direction. I then ordered a couple of Croydex Swirlits and with a small adaption they have proved invaluable. If anyone would like to team up and make a customised device it would save many men the indignity. I don't want any money from this but just want to help others.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 12:45

Morning Graham,

When I saw Dribbling I thought it was a tribute thread to George Best.

I had the same op about 10 months ago. I was almost completely dry after 7 months. Now I only pad up when I go to the pub, just in case. 

Initially I had all sorts of difficulties when peeing. Weak flows, then strong flows, and regularly sprinkling like a lawn waterer. In fact I often had to pee seated to ensure I hit the pot.

Its seems you're making excellent progress.  I reckon any slight urinary problems you suffering from will in time resolve themselves.

Best of luck. 

Adrian

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 14:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 13:06

I had my prostate out 3 years ago and got pretty fair continence in a few months finally got off the smallest pads, shields, after 5 months. I'm a great fan of an NHS App called Squeezy - it helps time your exercises and gives you reminders, as well as recording them. I was a big help to me.

I think you pee problems will settle down to a level which it either won't happen or you won't notice it.

Soon after the op. I can remember pee going off in different directions - which I think was the same amount of flesh there, but a 1" shorter urethra! This has settled down and stream became straight and consistent.

I take a bit more time than I did before, I can get a late dribble come down, it is best to do what you have said, get it in the loo, rather than in the pad. The thing I remember in the early days is being ok when still and having my mind on my bladder and then having a leak once part of the brain was distracted by me walking or some other activity. It all becomes unconscious over time. Dont worry about frequency, it will get better. A lot of damage was done in there by the surgery!

Good luck and keep doing the exercises! Get Squeezy on your phone.

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 13:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 13:13
Try this - as you stand at the toilet and think you are empty - try coughing. In my case this empties the last bit even though I pee like a horse for the majority.
User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 13:24

Soon after the op. I can remember pee going off in different directions - which I think was the same amount of flesh there, but a 1" shorter urethra! 

Quite frequently I got, what I believe they call, snake tongue peeing. Two streams instead of one. What with that, and sometimes peeing like a lawn sprinkler; I ended up having to buy the wife a new Vileda. 😄

As for losing one inch of urethra, to account for post op size loss of my todger. I told my wife that they had to remove 3 inches.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 13:41

Graham,still lots happening and healing, I was still passing scabs and debris after a couple of months. I even passed a kidney stone a few weeks after surgery. A less likely cause could be migration of surgical clips into the bladder.

Another trick for getting rid of the last drops is to put your fingers just behind the testicles ,apply a slight pressure and force the urine out. Sorry not very well described, usually easier if sat on the toilet.

Thanks Chris

Added

"How to Reduce Post Micturition Dribble

To push the last remaining drops of urine from the urethra the technique is as follows:

After passing urine, wait for a few seconds to allow the bladder to empty

Place the fingertips of the left hand three finger-breadths behind the scrotum and apply gentle pressure

Keeping the pressure in the mid line, gently but positively draw the fingers forwards towards the base of the penis under the scrotum

This pushes the urine forward into the penile urethra from where it can be emptied by shaking or squeezing in the usual way

Before leaving the toilet, repeat the technique twice to ensure that the urethra is completely empty.

This technique can be practiced at home. When in public toilets it can be done discreetly, with a hand inside a trouser pocket. It only takes a few seconds and may avoid the problem of wet trousers."

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 13:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 15:15
I'm also just six weeks post-RARP. Just getting occasional dribbles, usually going from seated to standing, so mostly I'm on one pad (Tena no. 2) per day. It does vary from day to day.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 15:53

Yes, I have experienced similar.

I'm lucky enough to have a bidet and was using it several times a day, but no matter how clean I was, within a short time the smell had returned.  I can remember going to the ED clinic to be shown how to inject ED drugs. When I presented Percy, I got a whiff of stale urine. I was so embarrassed. Fortunately the dribbling has stopped and willy whiff is no longer a problem.

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 15:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 15:54

Do you tuck the narrow end of the pad under your scrotum and do you wear snug underwear that keeps the pad from moving around.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 16:32

Do you tuck the narrow end of the pad under your scrotum and do you wear snug underwear that keeps the pad from moving around.

Thanks Chris 

Yes. 

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 16:54

I often used to wonder why old men used to smell of pee - now I know firsthand LOL

I encountered the same problem until I realised that washbasins are installed 'cock high', so after a pee, I drop the tackle into the washbasin and give him a good scrub. Wife reminds me to give it a good wipe down with a dettol wipe afterwards - the basin, not the tackle.

Probably not a good idea to try it in public restrooms though!

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 22:54

Depends on how tall you are! 

User
Posted 18 Dec 2023 at 19:48

Hi Graham26,

I had my operation 2 years ago and I suffered the exact same symptoms that you are describing. The coughing/pressure on scrotum trick did not help (I believe that that only works if the problem is caused by pee remaining in the urethra due to the geometry).

After several months of this, I discussed it with my urology nurse who suggested it could be an over active bladder and one thing to try was reducing or eliminating my caffeine intake. I did this, and after a few weeks the problem subsided, so much so, that nowadays, it hardly ever happens. There are still odd days when the problem comes back (typically two or three times during the day) but these are few and far between.

I was never sure whether it was reducing the caffeine that helped, or whether it was just time, but now I've got used to decaffeinated drinks I have no intention of going back to caffeine just to find out!

So, your problem is definitely not unique, and may be try reducing your intake of known bladder irritants to see if that helps. It won't be an instant fix (mine took several weeks before I was definitely able to say things were improving).

User
Posted 18 Dec 2023 at 20:09
Definitely the caffeine
User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 11:22

Thanks Guys, yes, it might be the coffee thing and I love my coffee too much to cut that out. Its just annoying all that wasted time over the pan pushing a bit more out! Lifes too short. Will  see how things progress, its only six weeks since the Catheter came out so it is early days

User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 15:17

I'm five weeks since the catheter came out, and my bladder can tolerate one double espresso per day (used to be on three or four). The thought of giving them up entirely is too grim to contemplate! 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 22:17
Five months on from the op now and experiencing the odd dribble but confused as to the reasons. I’ve been dry overnight from the start, and rarely have any unexpected leakage. However, when it comes to having a wee, mostly there is no issue but sometimes after I’ve waited and shaken, I tuck myself in and then it dribbles. I can’t work out why it only happens occasionally. I also leak frequently when wiping myself after a poo which I can understand as it’s the pelvic floor muscles.
User
Posted 20 Dec 2023 at 09:35

Hi Graham,

It might be worth also trying food/drinks which supposedly calm the bladder - plain water and cranberry juice were advised to me by my urology nurse (I'm sure there were others but I can't remember now).

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 20:36

DaveBen’s idea is good. I had urine retention 6 months post op triggered by caffeine. Thought I was going to have to get into A&E but resolved with a makeshift muscle relaxant (Sauvignon Blanc). Avoided caffeine since and no reoccurrence. I’m fours years post op and PSA still undetectable but do get the odd drips and/or leak. Mostly on a fullish bladder leaning forward over say the sink. Had one or two drips after a pee. Mostly one learns to predict these situations so they are manageable. One has to be mindful that the involuntary urinary valve in the bladder neck has been removed so there will be reduced function but in most cases this can be managed with pelvic floor exercises. Hope that helps.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 13:47

Hi Guys, new at this so please bear with. Just had my operation and catheter removed and dribbled everywhere at the start and end of urinating so I went to the shed and got a silicon nozzle so that I could at least direct the flow in a definate direction. I then ordered a couple of Croydex Swirlits and with a small adaption they have proved invaluable. If anyone would like to team up and make a customised device it would save many men the indignity. I don't want any money from this but just want to help others.