I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

treatment options after cabitaxel

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 17:51

I  have  been treated  for advanced  metastatic  prostate cancer since 2009, more than 14 years.

I am now on cabitaxel , and scheduled for ten cycles and ihe last one is on 4 January 2024.

What options are available after that?  I  have read here a long time ago  about some  old fashioned  treatment, but cannot  remember it.

I am still leading a normal life , and has never had  any  pain or bother from the illness.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 18:46

Radium 223 is a possibility if mets are all in bones. (It only works with bone mets.)

There's an older hormone therapy you might be referring to, Diethyl Stilbestrol.

Has your cancer been checked for any genetic markers which might be candidates for immunotherapy? If not, I would ask about getting that done.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 19:00

Lutetium 177 might be an option, if a PET scan shows you are eligible and you are able to twist the arms of the NHS very strongly!

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 19:52

HI Andy,

Thanks for the useful information.

I  do not have any METS and so Radium is not an option.

Stilboestrol is what I had forgotten.  I have not read any first hand infomation on its usage.

My biopsey is being tested   for for suitable genetics receptive to OLAPARIB .

There are few  letters on the experience of having it. The results are not great.

Cheers

PISU

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 19:57

Hi Forestjohn,

My  consultant  was  lining me up  this treatment  two years ago.

IT has been turned down by NICE twice.  My consultant  had access to some other fund but even that is not available now.

Cheers

PISSU

User
Posted 16 Dec 2023 at 08:36

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I do not have any METS and so Radium is not an option.

Hello PISSU,

Your profile says you had mets at diagnosis, so I'm confused.

If you really have no mets and it's just in your prostate, you'd have radiotherapy.

Have you had a PSMA PET scan recently to find where it is?

User
Posted 16 Dec 2023 at 09:39

Hi Andy,

Mets  disappeared long time ago. I have affected lymp nodes around the groin area. That is all I have at present.

No symptoms,  pain or  side effects  non existent.

Noel