I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Random bed wetting

User
Posted 18 Dec 2023 at 20:01

I am now 2 years post RALP. After the surgery, I was lucky and was pretty much continent within a few weeks. But after 1 year, completely unexpectedly, I woke in the night to find I had wet myself. I put it down to a one off, and thought no more about it.

But now, a year further on, and the same thing has happened again, not once, but twice in the last couple of months.

I doubt whether it is a pelvic floor issue since I have no problem controlling during the daytime nor indeed, virtually every night. I don't even know for certain that it is related to the surgery.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 20:45

Daveben. I am very similar to you. I was dry at night fairly early on after surgery. Then coming up to one year post RP, out of the blue, I wet the bed. I thought it was a one off but a few weeks later it happened again. Unlike you I had SRT after surgery and the first accident happened about 2 months after SRT. I have always assumed this night time incontinence was down to the SRT but maybe I'm wrong.

It hasn't happened now for about three months but I still wear a pad to be on the safe side. I can no longer get through the night without getting up for a pee, so I rely on a full bladder waking me up. It might just be incidents of very deep sleep where this doesn't happen.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 20:46

I’m four years post rarp. I think some of this has to do with depth of sleep coupled with the fact you’ve had the involuntarily urinary valve removed as part of the prostate surgery. As a young boy I grew up with nocturnal enuresis until it resolved in my late teens. So I wasn’t phased to much with the prospect post RARP and kitted out the bedroom like a hospital bed. I found key triggers were too much booze as this would send me into a deep sleep. Outside of this post-op no real issues unless out with the lads on the lash. Spirits to be avoided in my case as this would send me into a particularly deep sleep which wouldn’t be disturbed by a full bladder. Had the one occasion of wetting myself while napping on the sofa during the day which was pretty random….its not happened since thankfully. Since I gave up drinking nearly two years ago not had any problems since either. Additionally I’m very active weight training in the gym and surprisingly not experienced any drips/leakage….however, I’m mindful to keep my bladder empty so during a 3hr session might empty it half way through if needed just to be safe.

Edited by member 21 Dec 2023 at 20:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 12:01

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I’m four years post rarp. I think some of this has to do with depth of sleep coupled with the fact you’ve had the involuntarily urinary valve removed as part of the prostate surgery. As a young boy I grew up with nocturnal enuresis until it resolved in my late teens. So I wasn’t phased to much with the prospect post RARP and kitted out the bedroom like a hospital bed. I found key triggers were too much booze as this would send me into a deep sleep. 

I am coming up to 23mths post RARP now and this night time bed wetting seems to be getting worse. I don't take alcohol and I have modified my diet, however just when I thought I got the hang of it, boom it comes back with a vengeance, the heaviest tena pads is soaking wet and the bed is flooded and the bedroom reeking of urine! I have absolutely no issues during the day or night as long as I am awake, I also noticed I have no issues if I don't eat or drink after 5pm! 

I don't even which is worse, day time incontinence or waking up in the morning to a wet bed. I even use an alarm to wake me up at 3am daily, but noticed I have been sleeping through it. My next plan of action is to sleep on the couch in the living room, hope I will not sleep deep, set my alarm for every hour and ensure no eating or drinking beyond 17:00hrs. I wish I was made aware of this before the surgery.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 23:18

Any lifestyle changes or medication changes? prescription or non prescription. I found I can't take more than a couple of Ibuprofen before losing it despite being otherwise dry for 2 years, others have had problems with certain antibiotics. I don't know that a lot is known about drug side effects on our modified plumbing arrangements.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 13:08

Gee_Baba

I just had to say how sorry I feel for you and what you're going through. It would do my head in.  I hope your situation quickly improves.

Thanks Adrian. Suffice to say I got up again 3hrs later at 5:am with a very full pad, which sadly has seeped to one part of my boxers. It is really doing my head in, I guess tonight is another night. I wish I knew what is going on.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 13:39

GeeBaba,it would be wrong of me to recommend what you should eat, you need to research that for yourself, perhaps in conjunction with your medical team.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 17:38

Daveben,

I am 18mths post surgery. I was pretty much dry immediately catheter came out. However, bed time is a different kettle of fish. Sadly the focus of attention both professionally and on this forum is for the incontinence that affects the vast majority, I have almost given up looking for solutions to this peculiar issue. I even attended an incontinence clinic, but I felt the focus again was on the typical incontinence not the atypical occurrence like bed wetting. It was beginning to affect me, I moved into the spare bedroom to "sleep" with the lights on and sitting up, I noticed for 2 weeks, I would wake up to wee about 3-4 times and would be dry in the morning. I don't drink alcohol and also ensured I don't eat beyond 5:30, that seems to help especially if I avoid carbs like rice. I sleep daily with pads on, and find myself throughout the night checking if it is wet as unlike in your case the accidents is not random, wet pads at least 3-4 times per week. Sometimes, I could go 1 week without bedwetting. I have not given up on the squeezy app, even though I struggle to see the efficacy I.e. completely dry during the day, but not when asleep!

Edited by member 20 Dec 2023 at 12:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 18:24
I was similar to you. Instantly dry mostly post op. Only wore pads for 3 months mainly for confidence. However randomly for a couple of years I would wet the bed at night, perhaps once every couple of months. Reassurance from my wife was key , and by putting a towel or wet pad under the sheet it relaxed my mind and eventually stopped
User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 20:45

Daveben. I am very similar to you. I was dry at night fairly early on after surgery. Then coming up to one year post RP, out of the blue, I wet the bed. I thought it was a one off but a few weeks later it happened again. Unlike you I had SRT after surgery and the first accident happened about 2 months after SRT. I have always assumed this night time incontinence was down to the SRT but maybe I'm wrong.

It hasn't happened now for about three months but I still wear a pad to be on the safe side. I can no longer get through the night without getting up for a pee, so I rely on a full bladder waking me up. It might just be incidents of very deep sleep where this doesn't happen.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2023 at 09:43

Thanks everyone, it is very reassuring to know that my problem is not unique! I have resorted to using pads overnight for peace of mind, but it does feel like a retrograde step.

I am a little surprised that this issue does not seem to attract much attention but, as another poster pointed out, it is perhaps not common enough or serious enough (compared to what others have to contend with) to warrant it.

Thanks.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 20:46

I’m four years post rarp. I think some of this has to do with depth of sleep coupled with the fact you’ve had the involuntarily urinary valve removed as part of the prostate surgery. As a young boy I grew up with nocturnal enuresis until it resolved in my late teens. So I wasn’t phased to much with the prospect post RARP and kitted out the bedroom like a hospital bed. I found key triggers were too much booze as this would send me into a deep sleep. Outside of this post-op no real issues unless out with the lads on the lash. Spirits to be avoided in my case as this would send me into a particularly deep sleep which wouldn’t be disturbed by a full bladder. Had the one occasion of wetting myself while napping on the sofa during the day which was pretty random….its not happened since thankfully. Since I gave up drinking nearly two years ago not had any problems since either. Additionally I’m very active weight training in the gym and surprisingly not experienced any drips/leakage….however, I’m mindful to keep my bladder empty so during a 3hr session might empty it half way through if needed just to be safe.

Edited by member 21 Dec 2023 at 20:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 12:01

I’m four years post rarp. I think some of this has to do with depth of sleep coupled with the fact you’ve had the involuntarily urinary valve removed as part of the prostate surgery. As a young boy I grew up with nocturnal enuresis until it resolved in my late teens. So I wasn’t phased to much with the prospect post RARP and kitted out the bedroom like a hospital bed. I found key triggers were too much booze as this would send me into a deep sleep. 

I am coming up to 23mths post RARP now and this night time bed wetting seems to be getting worse. I don't take alcohol and I have modified my diet, however just when I thought I got the hang of it, boom it comes back with a vengeance, the heaviest tena pads is soaking wet and the bed is flooded and the bedroom reeking of urine! I have absolutely no issues during the day or night as long as I am awake, I also noticed I have no issues if I don't eat or drink after 5pm! 

I don't even which is worse, day time incontinence or waking up in the morning to a wet bed. I even use an alarm to wake me up at 3am daily, but noticed I have been sleeping through it. My next plan of action is to sleep on the couch in the living room, hope I will not sleep deep, set my alarm for every hour and ensure no eating or drinking beyond 17:00hrs. I wish I was made aware of this before the surgery.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 23:18

Any lifestyle changes or medication changes? prescription or non prescription. I found I can't take more than a couple of Ibuprofen before losing it despite being otherwise dry for 2 years, others have had problems with certain antibiotics. I don't know that a lot is known about drug side effects on our modified plumbing arrangements.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 01:37

Thanks, no medication change for me. I have moved into the spare room, as I have set my alarm to go off every 1hr till 4am. Right now I am up till almost 2am, just been to the toilet to empty my bladder, so hopefully should be dry when I wake up.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 06:48

Gee_Baba

I just had to say how sorry I feel for you and what you're going through. It would do my head in.  I hope your situation quickly improves.

Edited by member 08 Apr 2024 at 09:34  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 10:21

GeeBaba ,if you have explored other options,have you considered using one of the external catheter systems at night. It won't necessarily help with the situation we discussed on another post.

I note your comment about alcohol,I find on the rare occasions I have a glass of wine my overnight urine output drops dramatically. I have a permanent catheter so I can see what is in the night bag.

Are you getting any help from your medical team, I looked up what drinks can reduce urine output, there are a variety of drinks and food than can affect urine output. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 13:08

Gee_Baba

Thanks Adrian. Suffice to say I got up again 3hrs later at 5:am with a very full pad, which sadly has seeped to one part of my boxers. It is really doing my head in, I guess tonight is another night. I wish I knew what is going on.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 13:16

GeeBaba ,if you have explored other options,have you considered using one of the external catheter systems at night. It won't necessarily help with the situation we discussed on another post.

I note your comment about alcohol,I find on the rare occasions I have a glass of wine my overnight urine output drops dramatically. I have a permanent catheter so I can see what is in the night bag.

Are you getting any help from your medical team, I looked up what drinks can reduce urine output, there are a variety of drinks and food than can affect urine output. 

Thanks Chris 

I did attend a clinic about pelvic floor exercises a year ago. I felt the focus was on the typical incontinence, nothing to add value to my current condition. They could not explain how I am completely dry in the day, or even when I take a nap in the day. I can go hours during the day (as long as I am sitting up, walking about) without needing the loo. However, once I am awake in the morning and having a lie in, I would need the loo at least twice in 2hrs. 

I would be grateful if you can share the drinks and foods that reduce urine output please. I have already given up on coffee as I thought that could be it, but not made a difference.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 13:39

GeeBaba,it would be wrong of me to recommend what you should eat, you need to research that for yourself, perhaps in conjunction with your medical team.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 21:27

Gee_Baba,

I avoid all drinks with caffeine, all citrus drinks and all carbonated drinks, as they seem to affect me.  I occasionally drink red wine, which doesn't seem to affect me, but never drink pints of anything (even water).

I do take turmeric with black pepper (as recommended by Jane Mc Lelland's diet to "starve" cancer).  I mix it with soya milk to reduce acidity but I find that I'm invariably incontinent about 2 hours later.  For that reason, I always take it when I know I'm not going anywhere for the following few hours at least.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 23:28

Thanks a lot Jed.