Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I had my biopsy yesterday

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 11:08

Hi All, 

I’m 64 and have a PSA level of 31. I’ve been told that the abnormal cells are contained within my prostrate, which I take as good news. I  had my biopsy yesterday, a Transperineal under local anesthetic. All sorts of things were going through my mind, and it’s fair to say I was extremely worried. 

I shouldn’t have been, the whole procedure was virtually painless, the staff at Warrington and Halton NHS Trust were amazing, they talked me through the procedure so I knew what to expect. The consultant suggested I should have a general anesthetic, as I struggled with the digital examination, he said he will try with the local anesthetic, and if it  didn’t work, not to worry as he would get me back after Christmas. 

It worked thankfully, the worst bit, but even that wasn’t bad, was when he sprayed the anesthetic, he said it will be cold and it was. The 2 needles he inserted to get the biopsy’s, the first I didn’t feel at all and the second one was just a slight prick, on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is excruciating, it was a 1 πŸ‘ he said I might feel him actually taking the biopsies, he took 12 on each side, I honestly didn’t feel a thing. 

After it was completed I just felt a dull ache as the anesthetic wore off, I would say not even a 1 on the pain scale. Yes I’m passing blood, which is to be expected, and my wee is just dribbling, but I guess that’s because my prostrate has swollen? 

I feel a bit daft now getting so worked up about the biopsy, if I knew then, what I know now,  I wouldn’t have worried. I should get my results mid January, at the moment I’m thinking they will be what they will be, there is no point in me worrying, as worrying won’t change them. Once we have them, we can move forward and see where we are going πŸ‘

wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and best wishes for the New Year 😁

Cheers Stephen 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 11:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

at the moment I’m thinking they will be what they will be, there is no point in me worrying, as worrying won’t change them. Once we have them, we can move forward and see where we are going πŸ‘

Cheers Stephen 

A great approach, I frequently post similar thoughts. Have a great Christmas.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 11:08

Hi All, 

I’m 64 and have a PSA level of 31. I’ve been told that the abnormal cells are contained within my prostrate, which I take as good news. I  had my biopsy yesterday, a Transperineal under local anesthetic. All sorts of things were going through my mind, and it’s fair to say I was extremely worried. 

I shouldn’t have been, the whole procedure was virtually painless, the staff at Warrington and Halton NHS Trust were amazing, they talked me through the procedure so I knew what to expect. The consultant suggested I should have a general anesthetic, as I struggled with the digital examination, he said he will try with the local anesthetic, and if it  didn’t work, not to worry as he would get me back after Christmas. 

It worked thankfully, the worst bit, but even that wasn’t bad, was when he sprayed the anesthetic, he said it will be cold and it was. The 2 needles he inserted to get the biopsy’s, the first I didn’t feel at all and the second one was just a slight prick, on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is excruciating, it was a 1 πŸ‘ he said I might feel him actually taking the biopsies, he took 12 on each side, I honestly didn’t feel a thing. 

After it was completed I just felt a dull ache as the anesthetic wore off, I would say not even a 1 on the pain scale. Yes I’m passing blood, which is to be expected, and my wee is just dribbling, but I guess that’s because my prostrate has swollen? 

I feel a bit daft now getting so worked up about the biopsy, if I knew then, what I know now,  I wouldn’t have worried. I should get my results mid January, at the moment I’m thinking they will be what they will be, there is no point in me worrying, as worrying won’t change them. Once we have them, we can move forward and see where we are going πŸ‘

wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and best wishes for the New Year 😁

Cheers Stephen 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 11:36

Hi Stephen

Sorry you find yourself on here, but glad to hear your biopsy experience was so easy. the key thing to do now, is try not to worry too much whilst waiting for the results. Easier said than done I know, but honestly the best advice I was given as the days dragged by. Hopefully you will be distracted by the forthcoming holiday period!

Have a great Christmas, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ian.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 12:43

Hi Stephen,

I'm glad it went well. I can only echo what Ian and Chris have said. Take one step at a time, and try not to worry too much.  Your attitude seems spot on.

Very best of luck mate.

Adrian

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 18:05

Great attitude Stephen, keep as active as possible and be good to yourself to keep your mind occupied.

a lot of men are terrified of the biopsy but like you, mine was painless, rather than feel a little prick, I felt like a little prick with my legs up in stirrups and everyone watching🀣🀣 Nurses are great though at keepin your mind off what’s going on. Your prostate will be a bit swollen so I’d maybe hold off riding a bike for a few days, think I left it a week.

My PSA was 36 and just nudging the Seminal Vesicles so I wasn’t offered surgery. I’d be interested to see what options you are given once you’ve had the result.

Enjoy Christmas and all the best with your treatment whatever you decide.

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 11:36

Hi Stephen

Sorry you find yourself on here, but glad to hear your biopsy experience was so easy. the key thing to do now, is try not to worry too much whilst waiting for the results. Easier said than done I know, but honestly the best advice I was given as the days dragged by. Hopefully you will be distracted by the forthcoming holiday period!

Have a great Christmas, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ian.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 11:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

at the moment I’m thinking they will be what they will be, there is no point in me worrying, as worrying won’t change them. Once we have them, we can move forward and see where we are going πŸ‘

Cheers Stephen 

A great approach, I frequently post similar thoughts. Have a great Christmas.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 12:43

Hi Stephen,

I'm glad it went well. I can only echo what Ian and Chris have said. Take one step at a time, and try not to worry too much.  Your attitude seems spot on.

Very best of luck mate.

Adrian

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 18:05

Great attitude Stephen, keep as active as possible and be good to yourself to keep your mind occupied.

a lot of men are terrified of the biopsy but like you, mine was painless, rather than feel a little prick, I felt like a little prick with my legs up in stirrups and everyone watching🀣🀣 Nurses are great though at keepin your mind off what’s going on. Your prostate will be a bit swollen so I’d maybe hold off riding a bike for a few days, think I left it a week.

My PSA was 36 and just nudging the Seminal Vesicles so I wasn’t offered surgery. I’d be interested to see what options you are given once you’ve had the result.

Enjoy Christmas and all the best with your treatment whatever you decide.

Derek

User
Posted 21 Dec 2023 at 21:31

Guys, thank you for your support, sharing experiences with people who have already been where I am really helps. 

Derick , I’m hoping I will be able to have my customary ride on New Year’s Day, fingers crossed πŸ‘πŸ€ž