I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SPC issues

User
Posted 26 Dec 2023 at 09:50

First the good news- i found a solution the problem of my trouser waistband rubbing on my SPC site- braces! I think especially suitable of you're a bit over weight.

The other issue is that the district nurse came to change my catheter and couldnt get the new one in. I went down to A and E- a friend drove me as i was told it wouldnt be a priority for an ambulance. i waited many hours with developing pain as my bladder filled up. I was seen about 6 hours later. Doc tried to get a new catheter in with just  a local anaesthetic. Very painful and didnt work. Pain relief not working- eventually they aspirated my bladder and i felt human again. I was advised i would be admitted and have new spc fitted under GA the nextday. I was found a bed by 2am. Pain ongoing as bladder filled again- nothing really helped the pain- even morphine but a diclafenac suppository did help.

Eventually i was told it would be difficult to get a general anaesthetic until the afternoon so was advised to have them try again without. They did try- very painful but siccessful.

My urine was very infected i was told - antibiotics had been stopped as i had been advised i had too many of them- Nitrofurantoin

Anyway thats my recent story- Im very anxious now about the next change of catheter in 12 weeks. Might ask if it can be done in urology perhaps. Any thoughts welcome 

Dave.

User
Posted 26 Dec 2023 at 15:34

Dave ,I did ask for my first SPC catheter change to be done in the urology department following an issue with the previous change. 

I have had my SPC for nearly 7 years I always have mine done by the district nurse but in our area health centre. My view is that if something goes wrong I won't be going anywhere until they have arranged a solution. It is also easier for the change to be done on a treatment table rather than my bed.

Given that we are told there is only a very short window to replace the catheter,I do wonder what would happen if the catheter came out. Your experience is proof that the advice from urology isn't shared by other medical departments. I was told the hole can close up within 30 minutes, a couple of hours at most.

My DNs usually do the swap within a few seconds, only one nurse had a different technique that took a couple of minutes and the reinsertion was always difficult and uncomfortable, fortunately she has left the NHS.

I always drink plenty before my change, I usually squirt some gel into the hole and take a couple of painkillers before the appointment. Turing the catheter is sometimes recommended.I do other things that I get a slapped wrist for, but I only do them just before the change is due.

I always make sure I am relaxed before the appointment and I make sure the district nurse is relaxed, especially if they are running late.

My first spec was fitted in the theatre recovery room with a shot of morphine. 

Hope you get sorted. Is it worth speaking to urology about the problems encountered by the DN. My consultant did tell the urology ward to admit me if I ever went into retention.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 26 Dec 2023 at 15:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Dec 2023 at 10:54
Thanks Chris,

Hope you are doing ok, thanks for that.

I'm curious about the things you do that you mentioned you get a slapped wrist for?

Care to say more?

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Dec 2023 at 15:34

Dave ,I did ask for my first SPC catheter change to be done in the urology department following an issue with the previous change. 

I have had my SPC for nearly 7 years I always have mine done by the district nurse but in our area health centre. My view is that if something goes wrong I won't be going anywhere until they have arranged a solution. It is also easier for the change to be done on a treatment table rather than my bed.

Given that we are told there is only a very short window to replace the catheter,I do wonder what would happen if the catheter came out. Your experience is proof that the advice from urology isn't shared by other medical departments. I was told the hole can close up within 30 minutes, a couple of hours at most.

My DNs usually do the swap within a few seconds, only one nurse had a different technique that took a couple of minutes and the reinsertion was always difficult and uncomfortable, fortunately she has left the NHS.

I always drink plenty before my change, I usually squirt some gel into the hole and take a couple of painkillers before the appointment. Turing the catheter is sometimes recommended.I do other things that I get a slapped wrist for, but I only do them just before the change is due.

I always make sure I am relaxed before the appointment and I make sure the district nurse is relaxed, especially if they are running late.

My first spec was fitted in the theatre recovery room with a shot of morphine. 

Hope you get sorted. Is it worth speaking to urology about the problems encountered by the DN. My consultant did tell the urology ward to admit me if I ever went into retention.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 26 Dec 2023 at 15:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Dec 2023 at 10:54
Thanks Chris,

Hope you are doing ok, thanks for that.

I'm curious about the things you do that you mentioned you get a slapped wrist for?

Care to say more?

Dave