I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Zoladex change

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 09:27

I was wondering has anyone changed their HT during treatment. I am 12 months in on Zoladex. I have had some serious joint issues which now seem to have subsided and Hot flushes which at one point were very regular also seem to have abated but I don't like the drug at all.Does anyone have experience of changing? What might the risks be? Thanks in advance.

Rory

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 13:53

Hi Rory,

Please see my post of Posted 20 Jun 2021 at 11:59.

You will see that I switched from Zoladex to Prostap, at the GP’s request for ease of injection - any of the nurses could administer P.

I wish I hadn’t! and I did change back and the Oncologist was quite happy for me to stop around the 2 year period.

I remember thinking if Z does what it does to my body to basically chemically castrate, surely a different drug, which does the same thing but in a different way, is going to really mess up my body!

In hindsight, a few years later I still wish I hadn’t, although Zoladex is no walk in the park, I think they are all pretty nasty - unless you are lucky. I don’t know if some of the newer drugs that may be used are any better.

It does get better and we do need them!!

Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 13:58

Chris

Thank you for taking time to respond, devil and deep blue sea come to mind.

Rory

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 14:09

Hi Rory,

I can assure you that Prostap is JUST as nasty. I have been on it for 18 months. Joint issues started about 8 months ago and are still getting worse. My knees are the worst and I struggle getting out of a chair. I’m taking Magnesium, Turmeric, Glucosamine with MSM, Cod liver oil and none of them have helped. This morning I went to H & B and the lady said there was nothing else. I went to my acupuncturist this morning who stuck many needles in me and will see if that helps. I’m also going to start swimming again.

on top this there’s ED, Hot flushes, brain fog, clumsinesses, severe anxiety(I’m on sertraline), zero libido, weight gain(recently) and more.

Some men seem to get few side effects, others seem to really suffer but I think they’re all pretty nasty stuff even though they are doing a job to hopefully help cure you. My CNS told me Prostap was one of the kindest for side effects, so god help anyone on Zoladex.

I’m sorry I can’t offer you some comfort but just stating how it’s affected me.

Good luck if you do change…and keep us posted.

Derek

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 14:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I went to my acupuncturist this morning who stuck many needles in me and will see if that helps.

Hi Derek,

I hope you avoided the plastic Bonsai tree this time. 😄

Edited by member 28 Dec 2023 at 14:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 18:04

Hi Decho

Sorry to hear that mate but I could have written those symptoms too. It is uncanny how similar, i know exactly what you mean about the knees locking, particularly after a longish sit. I also have now had stomach ache for four months and I am convinced it is the Zoladex. I appreciate your post.

Thank you Rory

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 19:57

I went to my acupuncturist this morning who stuck many needles in me and will see if that helps.

Hi Derek,

I hope you avoided the plastic Bonsai tree this time. 😄

If only it HAD been plastic!🤣🤣
No, the China Bonsai tree is now on top of the sideboard far away from any chairs!
I actually enjoy my therapy sessions, time will tell if it helps.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 20:07

Hi Decho

Sorry to hear that mate but I could have written those symptoms too. It is uncanny how similar, i know exactly what you mean about the knees locking, particularly after a longish sit. I also have now had stomach ache for four months and I am convinced it is the Zoladex. I appreciate your post.

Thank you Rory

Rory, Ive managed to find ways of dealing with most of the side effects, ED(we have adapted our sex life to sexual outercourse), or in some cases just laughing at them(Brain Fog), but the joint problems are certainly NOT funny so I will continue to search for something to ease them. I dont know about you but this is the one that gets me down. Some people say it’s down to the lack of testosterone but I’m not convinced it’s not the drug itself.

cheers, Derek

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 13:02

Derek

I am very much the same and it is the Ain of the joint ache and it's debilitating effect. I have seen no medical evidence to suggest it's lack of testosterone, why would it be? In my opinion it is most definitely the drug.

Rory