I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Here we go again ?

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 12:41

Aged 76, after 11 years of PSA Testing, 3 MRI's & 2 biopsies when 'no cancer was found', I decided to opt out of all further prostate related testing. I came to this decision, after much thought, in a meeting on 30 November 2023, to review the result of my latest MRI, with a Consultant Urologist who is fully aware of my case history - I was seen as being 'pragmatic' & that my view was not an 'unreasonable step'. This was recorded in a letter from the Consultant to my GP , copied to myself.

I attended our local surgery on 27 December 2023 for a blood test required in support of an investigation into an unrelated issue only to be advised by the phlebotamist that she had been asked to take a further sample to be used for a PSA test. I accessed the PSA result this morning using the NHS App only to find that my PSA has climbed from 51.4 to 85.2, when corrected for Finasteride. I may be ' burying my head in the sand' but I would have preferred that this latest test hadn't happened. I feel that there is now a 'pressure' on all involved to go to the next step, whatever that is. 

I would appreciate any advice, particularly from those in the community who may have had a similar experience

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 16:15
In all honesty, Grafton, I would put the latest PSA reading to the back of your mind. Your most recent biopsy was less than a year ago and was of high enough quality to be reliable. You appear to just produce a lot of PSA and presumably have quite a large prostate?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 18:45

Thanks Lyn - I do have an enlarged prostate - It was 105cc at the time of my second MRI in 2022. The consultant indicated that it is now somewhat larger but not exceptionally so. Unfortunately you can't 'unknow' results as my son puts it - I will discuss the test result with my GP next week. At 76 I have a 'life expectancy of say 11 years  - I don't want to spend them on a never ending hunt for prostate cancer.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 19:41

If I thought I would make 76, I would be over the moon !