I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Flowrate test

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 14:10

Has anyone undergone a flowrate test before being diagnosed with an enlarged prostate?

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 16:18

Done plenty of simple flow rate tests post surgery. The nurse set the machine up and left the room, I then  urinated into a big funnel on the top of a machine. Once finished the nurse came back in and took the paper readout from the machine.

You can do an average flow test by getting a bottle or jug with a mls scale on it. Use your watch to time how long from starting to urinate to completing urination, mls divided by seconds equals flow rate. The hospital machine shows alot more.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 16:01

I am relieved it is not just me that suffers from the garden sprinkler effect. I think the catheter must cause damage to the nozzle. I used to bollock my grandsons for their lack of aim. Now I'm even worse than they are. I wonder if Hoselock do replacements

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 16:23

The hospital ones measure several things, but peak flow rate is the key which urologists are interested in. That indicates how obstructed your urethra is (although that's not the only possible cause of poor flow - damaged bladder/detrusor muscle can cause it too).

I made myself one by ripping the circuit out of a cheap electronic kitchen scales and putting a Raspberry Pi Zero W inside. It reports total volume, peak flow rate, and how many seconds after you started peeing the peak flow rate was reached. It uploads the results to a server over WiFi too.

A couple of urologists played with it at a support group meeting, pouring water in to it. They said the expensive flow meters in urology don't work, because a man who can normally pee at a very respectable 25ml/s comes in to the urology department all anxious, and struggles to pee at 8ml/s. Doing the test at home would be much more useful.

Someone sells a kit to make a microcontroller based one now.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 12:35

I had a shocking experience in a major London hotel. I was only offered Brachytherapy at my information meeting with the oncologist - who spent more time out of the room than he did in it during my allotted 20 minute appointment. I followed up trying to get a flow test and went twice to undertake the same. After the second go the nurse told me that it would be a few days for the results. I kept emailing. A month later I got a email saying if I really wanted to exercise that option I should go back to square one and start the whole process over. with separate urology and oncology meetings. Thanks NHS. I wondered if this was to push me into RP. If that was the case they were successful. I wouldn't consider now using the oncology department at this hospital. NO WAY. The lack of respect I think speaks for itself.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2024 at 12:37  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 16:18

Done plenty of simple flow rate tests post surgery. The nurse set the machine up and left the room, I then  urinated into a big funnel on the top of a machine. Once finished the nurse came back in and took the paper readout from the machine.

You can do an average flow test by getting a bottle or jug with a mls scale on it. Use your watch to time how long from starting to urinate to completing urination, mls divided by seconds equals flow rate. The hospital machine shows alot more.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 17:26

Yes, but subsequent to my TURP that dealt with my enlarged prostate.....and led to the pathology that discovered my PC.

Procedure was exactly as described by Chris. Worst part was filling up with water beforehand and waiting until I needed to pee. So, nothing to be concerned about.

Peter

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 11:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

The nurse set the machine up and left the room, I then  urinated into a big funnel on the top of a machine. Once finished the nurse came back in and took the paper readout from the machine.

Since my op, I spray like a lawn sprinkler. It would have to be a gigantic funnel, just to catch a couple of drops. 🙂

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 13:46

Yes, I did. It looked a bit like a round toilet seat on three legs and its base stood on small wheels. They're supposed to put a jug underneath, and yes, I made a mess! In my defence, I thought the whole thing was clear plastic. It was connected to a small printer next to a serving hatch with the office next door. 

After the flow test, I had a ultrasound test of my bladder to check for residual urine.

Kev.

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 16:01

I am relieved it is not just me that suffers from the garden sprinkler effect. I think the catheter must cause damage to the nozzle. I used to bollock my grandsons for their lack of aim. Now I'm even worse than they are. I wonder if Hoselock do replacements

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 16:23

The hospital ones measure several things, but peak flow rate is the key which urologists are interested in. That indicates how obstructed your urethra is (although that's not the only possible cause of poor flow - damaged bladder/detrusor muscle can cause it too).

I made myself one by ripping the circuit out of a cheap electronic kitchen scales and putting a Raspberry Pi Zero W inside. It reports total volume, peak flow rate, and how many seconds after you started peeing the peak flow rate was reached. It uploads the results to a server over WiFi too.

A couple of urologists played with it at a support group meeting, pouring water in to it. They said the expensive flow meters in urology don't work, because a man who can normally pee at a very respectable 25ml/s comes in to the urology department all anxious, and struggles to pee at 8ml/s. Doing the test at home would be much more useful.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 11:27

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I have thought of making one myself, but thought, no, that is really geeky!!!

I have a problem 'performing' for the flow test, trying NOT to spray, produce a poor reading. Then go for another pee before seeing the consultant and I pee like a horse!

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 12:35

I had a shocking experience in a major London hotel. I was only offered Brachytherapy at my information meeting with the oncologist - who spent more time out of the room than he did in it during my allotted 20 minute appointment. I followed up trying to get a flow test and went twice to undertake the same. After the second go the nurse told me that it would be a few days for the results. I kept emailing. A month later I got a email saying if I really wanted to exercise that option I should go back to square one and start the whole process over. with separate urology and oncology meetings. Thanks NHS. I wondered if this was to push me into RP. If that was the case they were successful. I wouldn't consider now using the oncology department at this hospital. NO WAY. The lack of respect I think speaks for itself.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2024 at 12:37  | Reason: Not specified