I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

3+4 (7) score, here we go...

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 15:58

It's taken a few days to sink in, but my results have come back from the biopsy, which, by the way was nowhere near as bad as I thought, didn't feel a thing! 3+4, 10 biopsies were taken, and 5 contained cancer cells. My PSA levels a month ago were 9.8 and 9. 

{Surgeon's name removed by moderator] is my surgeon; I have a meeting with him in about 2 weeks' time at the Royal Marsden in Chelsea so he can ascertain how much of my 118kg 6ft2 'gloriousness' frame is muscle (his words lol) as my weight carry's a higher risk for surgery.

It's all a bit sudden and slightly unnerving, but I feel okay at the moment. I'm not happy that I have cancer, of course, but I do accept that 'this' happens, and I have caught it early. The only reason I had the PSA test was that my Father is going through the very same thing; he is having radiology treatment soon; if it weren't for him and his cancer diagnosis, I would not have had the PSA test; I had no symptoms. Just goes to show how important it is to get a test.

Edited by moderator 08 Jan 2024 at 16:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 19:52

Hi Tom,

Its a pity that you've had to find this forum but I'm very pleased you've joined us. Folk here will help, support and guide you along your journey.

I presume surgery is the treatment of your choice. I had robotic prostatectomy 11 months ago. It was my treatment choice but almost got thwarted by my heart condition. Eventually it was agreed I was fit to operate on.

I hope your consultation goes well and a suitable treatment plan is put in place.

Once again welcome mate, its nice to meet you.

Adrian

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 01:41

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I've yet to see the surgeon (his name was removed for some reason by the moderator?);

Because it is against the rules to name medical professionals except when quoting published research, etc. This was stated in the waffle you signed up to when you joined the forum. Technically,  we are not allowed to name hospitals either but everyone seems a bit more relaxed about that unless someone starts posting negative comments about a particular hospital or Trust - PCUK is a charity and can't afford to be sued for defamation or libel because of something one of us has posted on a publicly searchable forum. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 11:42

I was 95 kg (I am also 6ft 2) when I had discussions with my surgeon a couple of months before my operation and I was told that it would make life easier for him (And me) if I reduced my weight to 90 KG and tried to reduce the amount of fat around my midriff. Apparently, the fat makes makes it more difficult for the robot to do its job. As it turned out after 2 months of quite strenuous exercise I hit the weight target given to me by the surgeon. I never did find out whether I hit the reduction in fat target but was able to get into a pair of trousers that I had not been able to get into for sometimee.

Ivan 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 12:53

Good luck for Thursday Rab,

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 17:25

Good luck. I was given 1 month to lose a stone to 14 stone before op. I managed it with a combination of exercise and the misery 3 B diet - no booze no biscuits no bread! Since the op 9 months ago I’ve continued to lose weight and am now a trimmer just less than 13 stone (81kg) 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 19:59

Sorry you find yourself here fella. I was 52 when diagnosed and surgery was advised for the same reasons. I dropped 5 kg to 70kg  before surgery, not on purpose mind just the worry. I have quite a heavy frame from all the weights over the previous 30 years. In the year following surgery put half of that 5kg back on. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 19:52

Hi Tom,

Its a pity that you've had to find this forum but I'm very pleased you've joined us. Folk here will help, support and guide you along your journey.

I presume surgery is the treatment of your choice. I had robotic prostatectomy 11 months ago. It was my treatment choice but almost got thwarted by my heart condition. Eventually it was agreed I was fit to operate on.

I hope your consultation goes well and a suitable treatment plan is put in place.

Once again welcome mate, its nice to meet you.

Adrian

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 21:19

Hi I’m not 100% sure which treatment I will take yet,the nurse said because off my Rheumatoid Disease that I take weekly injections for that they might not risk surgery because off infection so I’ll find out on Thursday hopefully 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 11:42

I was 95 kg (I am also 6ft 2) when I had discussions with my surgeon a couple of months before my operation and I was told that it would make life easier for him (And me) if I reduced my weight to 90 KG and tried to reduce the amount of fat around my midriff. Apparently, the fat makes makes it more difficult for the robot to do its job. As it turned out after 2 months of quite strenuous exercise I hit the weight target given to me by the surgeon. I never did find out whether I hit the reduction in fat target but was able to get into a pair of trousers that I had not been able to get into for sometimee.

Ivan 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 12:52

Thanks all for your replies.

Hi Adrian, nice to meet you too, although over a pint at the bar rather than via this Prostate Cancer forum would have been better. It seems like nothing else was offered but surgery, the reason being that if I have Radiotherapy, it will be far more challenging to have surgery if the cancer comes back at a later stage (I'm 55). I've yet to see the surgeon (his name was removed for some reason by the moderator?); having done my homework on him, I do trust his judgement, but I will question and discuss all options as there is a lot to think about. Thank you for your reassuring words and encouragement, it's appreciated.

Hi Ivan, 90kg! 'Jeez', I have some way to go! I'm down to 114kg already, so I'm making progress; I'll have a bloomin' good go at shedding more weight. I wonder how long the surgeons allow for one to lose more weight, 2 months in your case, could it be more, I guess it all depends on each individual case. Thanks for replying, it's appreciated.

Tom

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 12:53

Good luck for Thursday Rab,

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 17:25

Good luck. I was given 1 month to lose a stone to 14 stone before op. I managed it with a combination of exercise and the misery 3 B diet - no booze no biscuits no bread! Since the op 9 months ago I’ve continued to lose weight and am now a trimmer just less than 13 stone (81kg) 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 19:59

Sorry you find yourself here fella. I was 52 when diagnosed and surgery was advised for the same reasons. I dropped 5 kg to 70kg  before surgery, not on purpose mind just the worry. I have quite a heavy frame from all the weights over the previous 30 years. In the year following surgery put half of that 5kg back on. 

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 01:41

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I've yet to see the surgeon (his name was removed for some reason by the moderator?);

Because it is against the rules to name medical professionals except when quoting published research, etc. This was stated in the waffle you signed up to when you joined the forum. Technically,  we are not allowed to name hospitals either but everyone seems a bit more relaxed about that unless someone starts posting negative comments about a particular hospital or Trust - PCUK is a charity and can't afford to be sued for defamation or libel because of something one of us has posted on a publicly searchable forum. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard