Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A bit about me, and the scores on the doors

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 21:58

Hi All,

Before I start asking for advice etc. I thought it would be useful to introduce myself and tell you what my prostate cancer journey has looked like so far.

I went to see my GP in early November 2023 because I had, for a few weeks, been experiencing symptoms that made me think I should get myself checked out (getting up to pee multiple times each night, not feeling empty, struggling to get started). I had a digital rectal examination and, shortly after, gave a blood sample. My PSA score came back as 93 (ninety three) so things have, since then, moved at quite a pace.

First appointment thereafter was at Nuclear Medicine at my local hospital (Treliske Truro) for a bone scan. I have also had a MRI scan, flow test and biopsy since then. The headlines from all that are:

Gleason Score (4+3) 7

Biopsy - 12 samples, all showing cancer

PSA level (second test) 78

Grade group 3

T stage 4 (cancer extends into bladder trigone)

Bone scan - no macroscopic, metabolically active bone metastasis

I'm already on Tamsulosin, which has helped, and I'm booked in for a TURP on 17th January 2024. Waiting for a date for my choline PET scan, so I don't know if my lymph nodes are going to be part of the picture yet. Medics are talking about hormone therapy and radiotherapy, after my TURP, but exact treatment plan is yet to be determined.

Steve

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 22:26

Hi Steve 

Welcome to the Club that no-one wanted to join. You'll find folk here will help, support and where possible guide you along your journey.

I'm fairly new here and don't feel qualified to comment on your specific results.

But I do want to offer you my support and wish you well.

Adrian

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 01:13

Hi Steve,

Adrian’s stolen my line here😉 but I’m glad you’ve found this wonderful place for support. I would also recommend you try and find out if there’s any local support groups such as Maggies you can join to help support you in coming to terms with this disease. As everyone tells you, the waiting is the worst so try and keep yourself as active and busy as possible and be kind to yourself and your family. Give yourself lots of treats, things that make you happy. It won’t stop you worrying but it will help take your mind off things whilst you wait.

I have the same Gleason score as you but PSA 36 with spread to the seminal vesicles(T3B), so surgery was ruled out for me(in Scotland) as there was too much chance of recurrence, so I’ve gone down the HT/RT route with curable intent.
Until you get all your test results it’s difficult to comment on what your treatment plan will be but once that’s in place you’ll hopefully feel better about your situation, but if not please don’t be afraid to seek support from the many places that can provide it.

I wish you all the best on your journey,

Derek

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 21:58

Hi All,

Before I start asking for advice etc. I thought it would be useful to introduce myself and tell you what my prostate cancer journey has looked like so far.

I went to see my GP in early November 2023 because I had, for a few weeks, been experiencing symptoms that made me think I should get myself checked out (getting up to pee multiple times each night, not feeling empty, struggling to get started). I had a digital rectal examination and, shortly after, gave a blood sample. My PSA score came back as 93 (ninety three) so things have, since then, moved at quite a pace.

First appointment thereafter was at Nuclear Medicine at my local hospital (Treliske Truro) for a bone scan. I have also had a MRI scan, flow test and biopsy since then. The headlines from all that are:

Gleason Score (4+3) 7

Biopsy - 12 samples, all showing cancer

PSA level (second test) 78

Grade group 3

T stage 4 (cancer extends into bladder trigone)

Bone scan - no macroscopic, metabolically active bone metastasis

I'm already on Tamsulosin, which has helped, and I'm booked in for a TURP on 17th January 2024. Waiting for a date for my choline PET scan, so I don't know if my lymph nodes are going to be part of the picture yet. Medics are talking about hormone therapy and radiotherapy, after my TURP, but exact treatment plan is yet to be determined.

Steve

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 11:09

Best of luck with it all, Steve.  Your diagnosis is different from mine so I can't comment on things like the TURP procedure, but I've been on hormone therapy for 5 years and had multiple bouts of radiotherapy so can offer experience of those.    

All the best, Craig

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 22:26

Hi Steve 

Welcome to the Club that no-one wanted to join. You'll find folk here will help, support and where possible guide you along your journey.

I'm fairly new here and don't feel qualified to comment on your specific results.

But I do want to offer you my support and wish you well.

Adrian

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 01:13

Hi Steve,

Adrian’s stolen my line here😉 but I’m glad you’ve found this wonderful place for support. I would also recommend you try and find out if there’s any local support groups such as Maggies you can join to help support you in coming to terms with this disease. As everyone tells you, the waiting is the worst so try and keep yourself as active and busy as possible and be kind to yourself and your family. Give yourself lots of treats, things that make you happy. It won’t stop you worrying but it will help take your mind off things whilst you wait.

I have the same Gleason score as you but PSA 36 with spread to the seminal vesicles(T3B), so surgery was ruled out for me(in Scotland) as there was too much chance of recurrence, so I’ve gone down the HT/RT route with curable intent.
Until you get all your test results it’s difficult to comment on what your treatment plan will be but once that’s in place you’ll hopefully feel better about your situation, but if not please don’t be afraid to seek support from the many places that can provide it.

I wish you all the best on your journey,

Derek

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 05:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Steve,

Adrian’s stolen my line here😉 

Morning Derek.

I only nick valuables, you should be honoured. 😁

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 11:09

Best of luck with it all, Steve.  Your diagnosis is different from mine so I can't comment on things like the TURP procedure, but I've been on hormone therapy for 5 years and had multiple bouts of radiotherapy so can offer experience of those.    

All the best, Craig