Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

NM bone whole body scan

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 15:25

Hi all, 

my PSA is 31 and I had a transperineal prostrate biopsy on 20th December. I’m still awaiting the results, which I expect are delayed because of the Christian’s New Year festivities. 

Today I’ve received an appointment for a NM whole body scan on 23rd January. I’m not sure if I should be worried, or if this is the consultant doing a belt and braces job? I’d this standard procedure after a biopsy and before you get the results? 

I’m doing my best not to worry and I have an appointment with my GP on Friday, I just wondered, before I see him, if there are any specific questions I should be asking. 

The responses I’ve had to my previous 2 posts have been brilliant and I can’t thank those that reply to these questions enough, I’m definitely in uncharted waters, so please forgive the questions if I should know the answers. 

many thanks, Stephen 😁

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 16:53

Having a NM bone scan is very much standard practice.

I received three letters on the same day booking me in for MRI, Biopsy, and NM bone scan. In that order spread over about two weeks.

I then went for each test in turn. I think they would have cancelled the subsequent tests if either the MRI or biopsy had came back negative.

So don't worry about the bone scan, the consultant does not think you have metastatic cancer, but he may as well check.

Unlike my trust where they book you in for all the tests and then cancel if not needed, your trust has booked you in for the bone scan after doing a biopsy.

If I were 64 year old with a PSA of 31 and I'd been booked in for a bone scan I would be assuming I had cancer. It is possible you will be getting a letter tomorrow cancelling an unneeded bone scan, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 17:24

Hi Stephen,

I was PSA 36 and the first test I had was an NM bone scan….it came back clear. Try not to worry(I know it’s difficult) but it’s standard practice I think to rule out any spread to the bones.

Keep yourself active and busy, and be good to yourself during all the tests you’ll endure. It’ll help keep you sane😊

Good luck!

Derek

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 17:41

Hey Stephen,

It seems you're in pretty much the same place I was 2 short years ago. I had my biopsy on the 21st Dec 21 and, like your good self , had to wait that little bit longer for results etc. Its harrowing stuff my man but you know what? You'll deal with it way better than you could possibly calculate right now.

Re the NM bone scan, I had this last of all my tests and it came back with a concern for 2 different areas. Turns out, after a whole lot of worry and my GP telling me this particular test wasn't a great metric, that both of these areas were almost certainly old injuries. So as our Dave rightly says, try not to worry too much about that particular test.

You've got this Stephen.

You have.

Best,

Jamie.

User
Posted 11 Jan 2024 at 01:29

Hi Stephen,

My husband got a phone call to go for NM bone scan after his MRI but hadn’t had a biopsy at this point. It was the worst point in the whole process for us as we panicked not knowing why they had asked for that (and hadn’t found this forum at the time). I literally didn’t eat or sleep for 5 days before getting some answers, after a breakdown 🤦🏻‍♀️

Anyway his test did eventually come back positive and we were told it had spread to the bone in his pelvis. A second opinion didn’t agree and a PSMA scan confirmed it wasn’t in the bone. 

Best of luck and hope you get your biopsy results soon with good news.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 16:53

Having a NM bone scan is very much standard practice.

I received three letters on the same day booking me in for MRI, Biopsy, and NM bone scan. In that order spread over about two weeks.

I then went for each test in turn. I think they would have cancelled the subsequent tests if either the MRI or biopsy had came back negative.

So don't worry about the bone scan, the consultant does not think you have metastatic cancer, but he may as well check.

Unlike my trust where they book you in for all the tests and then cancel if not needed, your trust has booked you in for the bone scan after doing a biopsy.

If I were 64 year old with a PSA of 31 and I'd been booked in for a bone scan I would be assuming I had cancer. It is possible you will be getting a letter tomorrow cancelling an unneeded bone scan, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 17:24

Hi Stephen,

I was PSA 36 and the first test I had was an NM bone scan….it came back clear. Try not to worry(I know it’s difficult) but it’s standard practice I think to rule out any spread to the bones.

Keep yourself active and busy, and be good to yourself during all the tests you’ll endure. It’ll help keep you sane😊

Good luck!

Derek

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 17:41

Hey Stephen,

It seems you're in pretty much the same place I was 2 short years ago. I had my biopsy on the 21st Dec 21 and, like your good self , had to wait that little bit longer for results etc. Its harrowing stuff my man but you know what? You'll deal with it way better than you could possibly calculate right now.

Re the NM bone scan, I had this last of all my tests and it came back with a concern for 2 different areas. Turns out, after a whole lot of worry and my GP telling me this particular test wasn't a great metric, that both of these areas were almost certainly old injuries. So as our Dave rightly says, try not to worry too much about that particular test.

You've got this Stephen.

You have.

Best,

Jamie.

User
Posted 11 Jan 2024 at 01:29

Hi Stephen,

My husband got a phone call to go for NM bone scan after his MRI but hadn’t had a biopsy at this point. It was the worst point in the whole process for us as we panicked not knowing why they had asked for that (and hadn’t found this forum at the time). I literally didn’t eat or sleep for 5 days before getting some answers, after a breakdown 🤦🏻‍♀️

Anyway his test did eventually come back positive and we were told it had spread to the bone in his pelvis. A second opinion didn’t agree and a PSMA scan confirmed it wasn’t in the bone. 

Best of luck and hope you get your biopsy results soon with good news.

User
Posted 11 Jan 2024 at 09:08
Thank you Dave, Derek, Jamie and Elaine, I appreciate your replies and you have helped put my mind at rest. I guess they are doing a belt and braces job. I’m lucky that I have a great GP who is very supportive and talks in a language I can understand. I’m also lucky to have found this forum, as it’s a place I can ask questions.

I hope as things progress, that I will be able to help people with their questions like you do. Thank you all so much.

Best wishes, Stephen 😁