I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A bit about my circumstances

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 15:17

58 yrs old. Recent PSA of 64. MRI done but not yet interpreted. Visited the hospital today for a more 'rigorous' DRE.

Informed that I almost certainly have pc & given my high PSA, it may have spread to lymph nodes & bones. I'm absolutely s*****g myself that it's curtains for me. I've been planning my retirement for 2 yrs & I'm in absolute limbo

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 15:17

58 yrs old. Recent PSA of 64. MRI done but not yet interpreted. Visited the hospital today for a more 'rigorous' DRE.

Informed that I almost certainly have pc & given my high PSA, it may have spread to lymph nodes & bones. I'm absolutely s*****g myself that it's curtains for me. I've been planning my retirement for 2 yrs & I'm in absolute limbo

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 16:40
Thanks a lot Steve. This whole debacle only reinforces the fact that Google is both simultaneously your best friend & worst enemy.

I'm a science graduate myself, but all that objective analysis I undertook for 3 years goes straight out of the window at times like these, so thanks again for your wise words

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 18:09
Thank you Adrian – I'm already feeling less traumatised about the whole thing since engaging with you guys (& also speaking by phone with a couple of nurses who were amazing)

Genuinely kicking myself for not taking this matter more seriously a couple of years ago but so be it.

I have read a few formal scientific papers on several issues relating to pc, but I concede they can be a little difficult to interpret

Hope you're making good progress

Alex

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 22:03

Hi Alex - 

sorry to hear about your situation but you're not alone.  I was diagnosed in Jan 2019 (at age 54) with inoperable stage IV PC, with major metastases in my pelvis, spine, ribs etc ... no prior symptoms.  I was given an expectancy of 3 to 5 years.

Five years on, I still have an excellent QoL, walking 3 to 4 miles a day with my wife, getting out on my motorbike (10K+ miles per year) and generally doing everything I used to do before diagnosis.  OK, I'm currently awaiting a spinal decompression op to fix bad sciatic pain caused by a niggling met on my vertebra, but the general outcomes from those ops are very good.

A diagnosis certainly isn't curtains.  The treatments available are advancing all the time:  there's stuff available now that wasn't available to me 5 years ago which are more effective.

When you know what you have and the suggested treatment pathway, we'll be here to offer support, advice and tips.  All the best in the meantime

Craig

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 09:09
Thank you so much Gooose -

“The time between now and your bone scan results will be one of hightened worry and anxiety and nothing anybody says to you will change that” - absolutely spot on

“Whatever your dianosis Alex, you will be around for many years to come” - I really hope so – I had so much planned & have worked hard all my life. I really don't want it to end. My Dad's in his late 80's & mum's in her mid 80's. I thought longevity was built into my DNA.

Thanks again for your kind words

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 16:16

hi my partners psa was 78 in September.  After all the tests  they found it hadn't spread to bones or lymph nodes  so dosnt mean it has spread the high psa  . we was the same as you absolutely bricking it . my partners is locally advanced.  he's having radiotherapy in February.  the beginning is the absolute worse feel for you it does get better xx 

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 16:22
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond – much appreciated. Regards, Alex
User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 16:29
One of the hardest things to cope with is the waiting and the anxiety that it causes. Do not read anything into anything that is said that includes the words 'may' or 'might' and wait for a definitive diagnosis. I know that is easier said than done but plenty of us have been in similar situations and know that until you get a definite answer then anything can change.

Basing a 'pseudo diagnosis' on a PSA score is almost criminal. You will find people with much higher scores that do not have lymph node or bone mets involved at all.

Wait for the scans and biopsy before you decide what treatment options to consider - and there are plenty of options on the table at this stage.

Good luck!

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 16:40
Thanks a lot Steve. This whole debacle only reinforces the fact that Google is both simultaneously your best friend & worst enemy.

I'm a science graduate myself, but all that objective analysis I undertook for 3 years goes straight out of the window at times like these, so thanks again for your wise words

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 17:59

Hello Alex.

It's a shame you've had to find us but I'm glad you have. There are many knowlegeable, kind and supportive folk here who'll hopefully alleviate some of your initial fears.

So long as you stick to reputable scientific information  I see no harm in Googling. My youngest son is a scientist and although not medically qualified, has been a great help to me, when scrutinising research papers on this disease. 

You are bound to be anxious, the vast majority of people are. My advice would be take one step at a time.

All the best mate.

Adrian

Edited by member 17 Jan 2024 at 18:07  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 18:09
Thank you Adrian – I'm already feeling less traumatised about the whole thing since engaging with you guys (& also speaking by phone with a couple of nurses who were amazing)

Genuinely kicking myself for not taking this matter more seriously a couple of years ago but so be it.

I have read a few formal scientific papers on several issues relating to pc, but I concede they can be a little difficult to interpret

Hope you're making good progress

Alex

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 19:28

Alex. Sorry you find your self here. If you haven't already done so try clicking on PROSTATE INFORMATION at the top of this page. The PC UK publications are a lot easier to digest than wading through technical papers on the subject. Probably tackle those later down the line.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 19:33
Thank you Chris - will do

Regards

Alex

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 20:54

Hi Alex N,

I can't add anything to the advice and support that have already been given, but I think you will find that there's a lot of good information, advice and support on this site by people who have been through similar experiences - whether they be survivors or family members.

Very best of luck to you.

JedSee.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 22:03

Hi Alex - 

sorry to hear about your situation but you're not alone.  I was diagnosed in Jan 2019 (at age 54) with inoperable stage IV PC, with major metastases in my pelvis, spine, ribs etc ... no prior symptoms.  I was given an expectancy of 3 to 5 years.

Five years on, I still have an excellent QoL, walking 3 to 4 miles a day with my wife, getting out on my motorbike (10K+ miles per year) and generally doing everything I used to do before diagnosis.  OK, I'm currently awaiting a spinal decompression op to fix bad sciatic pain caused by a niggling met on my vertebra, but the general outcomes from those ops are very good.

A diagnosis certainly isn't curtains.  The treatments available are advancing all the time:  there's stuff available now that wasn't available to me 5 years ago which are more effective.

When you know what you have and the suggested treatment pathway, we'll be here to offer support, advice and tips.  All the best in the meantime

Craig

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 23:24

Thank you JedSee - much appreciated

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 23:29

Thank you so much Craig

so sorry to hear what you've been through but you've had an enormous impact on my current state of mind

So glad I found this place & I'll let you know how things progress in due course

All the best

Alex

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 00:12

Welcome to the club nobody wants to join!

Try not to panic too much and carefully decide what treatment is best for you if you are diagnosed. The basic standard of care isn't the only option, especially if you want to maintain quality of life.

I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer 2 years ago and given the usual prognosis 2 - 5 years.  However, I'm still here, working, rowing on my erg and taking the tablets!

Nb if you didn't "enjoy" the DRE, remember you can request a general anesthetic for the biopsy and sleep through the whole barbaric procedure.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 00:26
Thank you John – good to know you're beating the statistical predictions. A GA isn't really an option for me re the biopsy as I'll need to drive (I have no problem driving under a GA but suspect the authorities will when they're extracting my vehicle from someone's garden wall!)

Thanks again - Alex

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 08:54
Morning Alex

I was in your situation just 3 months ago. I'm a similar age (59) and with a similar PSA (71). I was also told that due to the high PSA (without a urine infection) I've certainly got PCa and it may have spread to the bones. One was a certainty and one was a possibility, and he was right.

Like you I thought that all my plans and retirement dreams were shattered. Sh***ing myself would be an understatement. But I could only think of practicalities and so I planned my exit, frantically writing a will (had one but needed changing), adding wifes name to my bank account, checking life insurance policy, deciding when and what to tell the kids, drawing up funeral wishes, all done at such speed that anyone watching would think I'd be dead the following week. In hindsight, how ridiculous was that, but that's how I'm wired.

The time between now and your bone scan results will be one of hightened worry and anxiety and nothing anybody says to you will change that. This is the worst time, but it does get better. Whatever your dianosis Alex, you will be around for many years to come.

I'd expect your path going forward will be very similar to mine - MRI (see you've had that), Biopsy then straight onto hormone blockers (Zoladex in my case), Nuclear bone scan, CT scan and then if both those scans are clear expect a PSMA PET scan (due to high PSA).

My only advice, for what it's worth, would be to avoid google and use these forums. Wish I'd known that.

All the best.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 09:09
Thank you so much Gooose -

“The time between now and your bone scan results will be one of hightened worry and anxiety and nothing anybody says to you will change that” - absolutely spot on

“Whatever your dianosis Alex, you will be around for many years to come” - I really hope so – I had so much planned & have worked hard all my life. I really don't want it to end. My Dad's in his late 80's & mum's in her mid 80's. I thought longevity was built into my DNA.

Thanks again for your kind words

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 13:26

Hi Alex,

You’ve already made one very important step by joining this forum. The knowledge and support you will get from all on here is an immense help. When you know what your diagnosis is, you may or may not be given a Choice of treatment, but once you have made that decision you can start to plan and get on with your life, as much as your treatment allows you to. In the meantime try and keep yourself busy and active, and be kind to yourself. It might also help if you have a local support group such as Maggies, go along and talk to them.

good luck,

Derek

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 13:33
Thank you for your kind words Derek. So glad I signed up to this site. I think the “busy & active” element will need to wait for a bit as I'm still in shock. I'm sure this phase will pass when I'm more accepting of my predicament. Thanks again