I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Instrumental decompression of the spine and laminectomy

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 22:26

Hi, I'm starting this thread as I haven't found too much about instrumental decompression etc on the forums.

I will be having a decompression / laminectomy op in the coming days at Salford Royal to (hopefully) fix intense sciatic pain being caused by a large metastatic tumour on my L3 vertebra, which is pressing / rubbing on the sciatic nerve roots.  I had been able to manage the pain successfully for the past year with two fractions of palliative radiotherapy, plus pain meds (tramadol & pregabalin), but recently the pain has spiked to high levels and is obviously only going to get worse. So I'm biting the bullet and having the op done.

The plan seems to be to open up the back, address areas where the tumour / bone may be interfering with the nerves, then pin the L3 vertebra to the L2 and L4 to stabilise the gap between them and help prevent further issues.

I'll update with more details when I have the final plan from the surgical team, and after the op itself.     

User
Posted 17 Jan 2024 at 22:26

Hi, I'm starting this thread as I haven't found too much about instrumental decompression etc on the forums.

I will be having a decompression / laminectomy op in the coming days at Salford Royal to (hopefully) fix intense sciatic pain being caused by a large metastatic tumour on my L3 vertebra, which is pressing / rubbing on the sciatic nerve roots.  I had been able to manage the pain successfully for the past year with two fractions of palliative radiotherapy, plus pain meds (tramadol & pregabalin), but recently the pain has spiked to high levels and is obviously only going to get worse. So I'm biting the bullet and having the op done.

The plan seems to be to open up the back, address areas where the tumour / bone may be interfering with the nerves, then pin the L3 vertebra to the L2 and L4 to stabilise the gap between them and help prevent further issues.

I'll update with more details when I have the final plan from the surgical team, and after the op itself.     

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 20:16

Hi Craig380,

Sorry to hear of your situation.  It sounds pretty bad.  Hope that they can give you effective relief from the pain that you're experiencing. It must be greatly affecting your quality of life.

Hope all goes well.

JedSee. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 21:18

Hi,

I’ve attached a link below to the British Spinal Association website which is the best evidence based resource for patients undergoing Neurosurgical procedures. The surgeons signpost patients to this. Your surgery will be under decompression.

Should be useful. Get straight on the spinal rehab as soon as the surgeon gives you the all clear! All the very best.

Darren 

https://spinesurgeons.ac.uk/Nerve-Root-Pain-and-Some-of-the-Treatment-Options

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 20:16

Hi Craig380,

Sorry to hear of your situation.  It sounds pretty bad.  Hope that they can give you effective relief from the pain that you're experiencing. It must be greatly affecting your quality of life.

Hope all goes well.

JedSee. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 21:18

Hi,

I’ve attached a link below to the British Spinal Association website which is the best evidence based resource for patients undergoing Neurosurgical procedures. The surgeons signpost patients to this. Your surgery will be under decompression.

Should be useful. Get straight on the spinal rehab as soon as the surgeon gives you the all clear! All the very best.

Darren 

https://spinesurgeons.ac.uk/Nerve-Root-Pain-and-Some-of-the-Treatment-Options

User
Posted 25 Jan 2024 at 10:05

A quick update - I will not now be having an instrumented decompression.  My latest CT scan of the area shows that the affected L3 vertebra is still stable, despite the large tumour, and that it's the tumour itself which is causing the nerve interference and pain.  The surgical team feels that at this point, decomp surgery / laminectomy isn't the best option.

So the plan is for more radiotherapy targeting the tumour, to shrink it and (hopefully) relieve the pain.  Obviously if any serious signs of MSCC appear, then surgery is indicated.