I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help understanding results

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 17:11

Hello, I was diagnosed yesterday and am told by consultant the results show low grade PCa and are T2N0, Gleason (3+3) 6, PSA <10, 0.13 density due to Prostate being 57ml? CPG 1 and volume 50% of 8 left and 7 right cores taken. All 7 malignancies were in left, the only numbers he was slightly concerned about, but not enough to suggest Active Surveillance was not Ok for a few months/years. I have booklets but wanted to hear what others experience of similar results are?

Thank you

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 12:07

Hi Bubo,

I first came to this site to get ideas about the two options i had been offered at the time and only found a couple of members that had taken the Brachytherapy route. I had one friend that had had it two years earlier and was in the clear but unfortunately he died before my diagnosis of a heart attack so that didn't help much.So after a lot of reading up about it i felt that after affects where much lower with brachytherapy if it worked.

You can click on my Avatar to see my journey but i can't say there where many problem apart from urgency to pee in the early days and getting up a few times in the the night and some nights i still do but it does not bother me at all.I'll let you read the details as i have forgotten any real problems but feel getting an early diagnosis was the biggest help and possibly the reason i am doing so well. All i would advise was if you go for AS keep a tight check on the Gleeson score and get some thing done if it reaches (3+4)=7 and well before (4+3)=7 as options will drop fast.

Good luck John.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 20:31

Your consultant has access to all your results. Did you have an MRI scan which lead to this biopsy. If so the biopsy was probably targeted at areas of concern, which in your case seems to be the  left hand side lobe. 7 out of 8 cores taken there were positive and found to be 50% cancerous. Your T2 staging means the cancer is confined to the prostate. Your MRI scan will give an idea of what safety margins you have, how close the lesion is to the outer edge of the prostate gland. You PSA density is your PSA level divided by the volume of it. Is your exact PSA level about 7.5? Gleason 6 (3+3) is low. I'm not medically trained, but your consultant is obviously happy enough to offer AS as a suitable treatment option.

The problem is mate, you could get someone with an identical biopsy result as yours and your outcomes will be different. Likewise you may get someone whose results are completely different and you may end up having similar outcomes. There seems to be a lot of maths involved but with this disease 2 plus 2 doesn't always equal 4.

Adrian

Edited by member 19 Jan 2024 at 18:28  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 21:13

Hi Adrian, sorry fuller reply this time. Yes my PSA went from 5.6 to 7.6 between 4th and 21st September last year which got this ball rolling. I have blood test booked 6 weeks and 2 day since my biopsy so they said it might still be high so

thryll take that into consideration and if it is organise another in a month instead of 3, they all seem to be quite well versed in the subject at local UCAN centre.

they’ve said even if I change my mind at any time I just need to phone and they’ll happily give me an op, RT or brachy so I’m pretty lucky 

thanks again for your reply it’s very helpful 

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 16:10

Afternoon Bubo

Rather than post on separate "conservations" it might be easier to keep track  of everything if you posted your  questions/thoughts on just the one thread?

Ivan

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 16:38

Good idea Ivan, just replied to you on another conversation so see your point! Thanks again - I’m still digesting everything 

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 15:59

Hi Bubo,

You can only take the advice of your consultant at the moment and as long as the Gleason stays at (3+3) it's worth trying AS and get regular blood tests for PSA.But what you don't need is the first 3 in the brackets to change to 4 or the second 3 ie (3+4) is better that (4+3)as the first number in the brackets means more aggressive PC and that will reduce your options for treatment at a later date.

I was lucky to have an early diagnosis in September 2016  with PSA 2.19 Gleason (3+4) =7 and 5 cores out of 20 positive and decided to have Brachytherapy. I was signed off in 2021.

John.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 12:20
Thanks John, that’s kind of you to answer, yes I’ll go for all advised tests and I know I can ask for treatment if I lose the ability to cope with knowing something is there if that makes sense.

Wishing you the very best

B
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 20:31

Your consultant has access to all your results. Did you have an MRI scan which lead to this biopsy. If so the biopsy was probably targeted at areas of concern, which in your case seems to be the  left hand side lobe. 7 out of 8 cores taken there were positive and found to be 50% cancerous. Your T2 staging means the cancer is confined to the prostate. Your MRI scan will give an idea of what safety margins you have, how close the lesion is to the outer edge of the prostate gland. You PSA density is your PSA level divided by the volume of it. Is your exact PSA level about 7.5? Gleason 6 (3+3) is low. I'm not medically trained, but your consultant is obviously happy enough to offer AS as a suitable treatment option.

The problem is mate, you could get someone with an identical biopsy result as yours and your outcomes will be different. Likewise you may get someone whose results are completely different and you may end up having similar outcomes. There seems to be a lot of maths involved but with this disease 2 plus 2 doesn't always equal 4.

Adrian

Edited by member 19 Jan 2024 at 18:28  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 20:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thank you. Yes it was targeted so will at least give me time think

Your consultant has access to all your results. Did you have an MRI scan which lead to this biopsy. If so the biopsy was probably targeted at areas of concern, which in your case seems to be the right hand side lobe. 7 out of 8 cores taken there were positive and found to be 50% cancerous. Your T2 staging means the cancer is confined to the prostate. Your MRI scan will give an idea of what safety margins you have, how close the lesion is to the outer edge of the prostate gland. You PSA density is your PSA level divided by the volume of it. Is your exact PSA level about 7.5? Gleason 6 (3+3) is low. I'm not medically trained, but your consultant is obviously happy enough to offer AS as a suitable treatment option.

The problem is mate, you could get someone with an identical biopsy result as yours and your outcomes will be different. Likewise you may get someone who's results are completely different and you may end up having similar outcomes. There seems to be a lot of maths involved but with this disease 2 plus 2 doesn't always equal 4.

Adrian

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 21:13

Hi Adrian, sorry fuller reply this time. Yes my PSA went from 5.6 to 7.6 between 4th and 21st September last year which got this ball rolling. I have blood test booked 6 weeks and 2 day since my biopsy so they said it might still be high so

thryll take that into consideration and if it is organise another in a month instead of 3, they all seem to be quite well versed in the subject at local UCAN centre.

they’ve said even if I change my mind at any time I just need to phone and they’ll happily give me an op, RT or brachy so I’m pretty lucky 

thanks again for your reply it’s very helpful 

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 16:10

Afternoon Bubo

Rather than post on separate "conservations" it might be easier to keep track  of everything if you posted your  questions/thoughts on just the one thread?

Ivan

User
Posted 19 Jan 2024 at 16:38

Good idea Ivan, just replied to you on another conversation so see your point! Thanks again - I’m still digesting everything 

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 15:59

Hi Bubo,

You can only take the advice of your consultant at the moment and as long as the Gleason stays at (3+3) it's worth trying AS and get regular blood tests for PSA.But what you don't need is the first 3 in the brackets to change to 4 or the second 3 ie (3+4) is better that (4+3)as the first number in the brackets means more aggressive PC and that will reduce your options for treatment at a later date.

I was lucky to have an early diagnosis in September 2016  with PSA 2.19 Gleason (3+4) =7 and 5 cores out of 20 positive and decided to have Brachytherapy. I was signed off in 2021.

John.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 16:45

Hi John, thank you. That’s helpful, how was the recovery from brachytherapy? 

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 12:07

Hi Bubo,

I first came to this site to get ideas about the two options i had been offered at the time and only found a couple of members that had taken the Brachytherapy route. I had one friend that had had it two years earlier and was in the clear but unfortunately he died before my diagnosis of a heart attack so that didn't help much.So after a lot of reading up about it i felt that after affects where much lower with brachytherapy if it worked.

You can click on my Avatar to see my journey but i can't say there where many problem apart from urgency to pee in the early days and getting up a few times in the the night and some nights i still do but it does not bother me at all.I'll let you read the details as i have forgotten any real problems but feel getting an early diagnosis was the biggest help and possibly the reason i am doing so well. All i would advise was if you go for AS keep a tight check on the Gleeson score and get some thing done if it reaches (3+4)=7 and well before (4+3)=7 as options will drop fast.

Good luck John.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 12:20
Thanks John, that’s kind of you to answer, yes I’ll go for all advised tests and I know I can ask for treatment if I lose the ability to cope with knowing something is there if that makes sense.

Wishing you the very best

B