I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Does age matter when considering treatment options?

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 08:12

While I wait for my biopsy results to add to my T3a and PSA of 11.7 I’m scouring the site for help with what I understand to be a choice between RP and RT/HT. As an active 72 year old (walking football at international level) I’m concerned about two things 1. How long I would stop training/playing for depending on which treatment is decided on, and 2. Due to my age will I even have a choice?

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 08:41

Hi Derek, assuming that you are wondering if you are too old for RP, then in general terms the answer is no. I had RP 2 years ago at age 74 and there were no complications. I was also T3a. Of course, other factors besides age will be taken into account by your medical team when recommending treatment. Good luck on your journey. 

Peter

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 09:23
Morning Derek.

As said above I don’t think age is as much relevant as fitness, I was 68 when I had my surgery & my surgeon seemed to imply that stomach size or being overweight was the negative to robotic surgery.

Like you I am fairly fit for my age & run 3 to 4 miles a day. Regarding your question about recovery & time scales getting back to your activities it’s not recommended to overdo it initially, i gave it the full 6 weeks “as stated by my surgeon” before I started running again.

I started steady walking 2 days after surgery just around my village then extending my walk by the week up to my 5 mile a day by the 6th week until I started running again.

I cannot comment on the radiation treatment, I think you would probably have around 30 sessions on every weekday so up to about a month of treatment, wether you could, or feel like playing walking football in that time I couldn’t say but I’m sure someone else could advise you on that.

All the best on whichever treatment you decide.

Jeff.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 11:07

Hi Derek,

Nice to have a namesake on here😊 I’m nearly 68 and (not through choice) went down the HT/RT route. I had 20 sessions RT and am on HT for 3 years. I was refused surgery because my staging is T3b. I don’t think your age is an issue, especially as you seem very fit. there are better experts on here to tell you about the recovery after surgery, but the guys I know from Maggies took some time to get back to fitness. The other thing I would say is that with staging T3a, is there not a higher chance of requiring SRT?
One of the benefits of going down the HT/RT route is that you can carry on more as less as normal, so there’s no reason why you couldn’t continue with your football even during RT. However if you’re like me and many others, after a while on HT you may develop joint aches and pains. Some men seem to suffer from fatigue but that’s never been an issue for me…..it’s about the only side effect I haven’t had🤣🤣🤣

If you go down this route I would advise you to keep as active as possible to ensure you keep your muscles strong.

good luck with your decision.

Derek

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 14:13

Thanks Derek, what is SRT? Not come across that term up to now.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 16:51

Derek, I am not medically qualified and There are many people on here with a lot more knowledge than mine but SRT means Salvage Radio Therapy . You said you are T3a which means it’s broken/breaking through the capsule.  If it’s broken through the capsule there is a higher chance of leaving something behind. You will know this when you get your PSA tests following surgery…if it’s not undetectable (<0.1). This might mean you need HT/RT even after the Op. Didyour surgeon discuss this with you? Maybe he believes the chance of this is small?

Thats why they wouldn’t offer me surgery, too high a risk of requiring SRT with staging T3B.

Derek

Edited by member 22 Jan 2024 at 16:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 01:30
Considering your level of competition, I would also ask about brachytherapy in combo with the radiotherapy which may have much less impact on your sport / fitness. The op is going to put you out for quite a while - not just physical repair but how easy would it be to play wearing continence pads if needed?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard