I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bicalutamide Vs Eligard

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 13:00

I'm just starting my journey which will involve ADT and RT. The RT is scheduled to happen in early July and ADT to start soon. No spread according to Pet scan. Gleason 4+4 and PSA 7.9. Absolutely no symptoms whatsoever, feeling good for a 65yo. RO doesn't seem to be in any hurry.

I have a few important events coming up from March to the end of May that will require my health to be as good as possible and so I am loathed to start Eligard, as I have heard that it can be pretty brutal. I am going to start Bicalutamide 50mg for a few weeks prior to starting Eligard.

My question is, could I hold off taking Eligard until early June and just remain on Bicalutamide for 3 months until early June when I would then start Eligard?

My reasoning is, that taking Bicalutamide may be much more tolerable as far as side effects go but at the same time hopefully should help slow down my prostate cancer until June / July.

By the way, Bicalutamide has a review score of 8/10 for side effects & overall efficacy Vs 4/10 for Eligard. That's according to Drug.com.

Thoughts?

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 13:46

PJ, I can't comment on the suitability of each option and we might all react differently to the same medication. I went on 150mg of bicalutamide for six months,I got sore nipples, some slight man boobs, a decrease in labido. It did really affect my day to day activity,but I am 72, retired and a bit of a couch potato.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 20:59

PJ. Someone else asked this same question recently. See the link. Chris

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30106-Which-Option

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 01:31

Hi to those who have answered my query and who may do so. I really do appreciate your time,

It appears as though I do need to do a bit more research into this. You may be asking what I am worried about with all this ADT stuff,. Well take a look at the link below and you will understand why I am not that keen to start filling my body with poison.

Yes I am fully aware that the alternative of not taking it, is worse - but in my case it is just a matter of the timing of taking it and looking for an option that might work. When you read that nearly 60% of the reviews on drugs.com clearly state that Eligard is a dreadful drug, with some saying it should never have been approved, - you do get a little nervous about putting such stuff into your body.

drugs.com/comments/leuproli...

Anyway, thanks again everyone. I can see that i have a bit more homework on this and yes I will of course take into account my RO's recommendations.