I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Could a dull ache be prostate cancer?

User
Posted 23 Jan 2024 at 12:34

I know that many prostate cancer patients have no symptoms prior to diagnosis and that others present with various symptoms, such as frequent trips to the bathroom at night. However, is it common for some men to feel the cancer (or at least think they can), presenting as perhaps a dull ache in certain situations?

I find that when I’m towelling my buttocks dry after a shower I get a sensation that seems to be reverberating from deep inside the lower pelvic area. I sometimes experience the same feeling when bending to take my pants off. It’s not painful but the feeling is definitely there. I only noticed this begin a couple of months prior to being diagnosed with PC and the situation remains the same after my RT and HT treatment.

I have mentioned this to my consultant and he’s not concerned but I wondered if others have experienced anything similar.

Thanks for reading.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 12:23

I am fairly certain you won't be feeling prostate cancer. After you have had cancer you will attribute anything abnormal to cancer, even an ingrown toenail. If you had the feeling pre diagnosis, it probably wasn't cancer either, but now post diagnosis you are attributing it to cancer.

Of course I could be wrong and everyone's cancer is different, but most people's psychosomatic behaviour is the same.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 13:03

Hi Dave,

Have you had a PSA test? If not ask your GP for one, at your age you should get one anyway even without symptoms. There’s so much publicity at the moment about getting checked I can’t see how any GP could refuse you.

Derek

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 13:20

I am very surprised that given the increase in prostate cancer that there isn't a national screening program. Here in France the GP recommends it to all patients over 55 but as she said, you can lead a horse to water....

But as Derek said, get your PSA test done yearly and it is extremely unlikely that PCa will cause any discomfort unless it is highly advanced. However, there are several non-cancer ailments in the bladder/prostate/perineum area that can cause aches and pains so if it persists and/or is accompanied by urine flow issues, then get it checked out with your GP.

Sorry, just re-read your OP and realise that you have been diagnosed and are on HT/RT already - the statement that it is unlikely to be PCa causing the discomfort is still valid and to get another PSA to check for any reoccurance.

Edited by member 27 Jan 2024 at 13:23  | Reason: Forgot to read the OP :)

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 16:01

Sorry, I did read(but misread)your post too, I didn’t realise you’d had treatment already. Always a good idea to have a bio which I did check.
Could it be a hernia maybe?

Derek

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 19:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I am fairly certain you won't be feeling prostate cancer. After you have had cancer you will attribute anything abnormal to cancer, even an ingrown toenail. If you had the feeling pre diagnosis, it probably wasn't cancer either, but now post diagnosis you are attributing it to cancer.

Of course I could be wrong and everyone's cancer is different, but most people's psychosomatic behaviour is the same.

Dave,

Thanks for the wise words. It's not painful but just a sensation. As I said, my consultant isn't concerned and I've noticed a slight improvement in the past few days anyway.

Thanks again and best wishes

Dave 

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 19:52

Sorry, I did read(but misread)your post too, I didn’t realise you’d had treatment already. Always a good idea to have a bio which I did check.
Could it be a hernia maybe?

Derek

Derek
Thanks for your reply. I had considered that it may be a hernia when I first noticed the feeling about 18 months ago. It prompted me to go for a PSA test which was fortunate as I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and received treatment. 

Dave

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 20:10

But as Derek said, get your PSA test done yearly and it is extremely unlikely that PCa will cause any discomfort unless it is highly advanced. However, there are several non-cancer ailments in the bladder/prostate/perineum area that can cause aches and pains so if it persists and/or is accompanied by urine flow issues, then get it checked out with your GP. Sorry, just re-read your OP and realise that you have been diagnosed and are on HT/RT already - the statement that it is unlikely to be PCa causing the discomfort is still valid and to get another PSA to check for any reoccurance.

Thanks for your reply.

Following RT treatment for PCa I will be having regular PSA tests for the next couple of years. I have already noticed a slight improvement to whatever is causing this discomfort which may be a result of changing my underwear from boxers to trunks. I’d noticed that following HT my testicles were attempting to venture further south so a bit more support may well have helped.

Thanks again

Dave   

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 23:41
You will be having PSA tests for the rest of your life, not just the next couple of years.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 18:27

I have had exactly the same issue , on and off for years Dave. As my PSA has luckily remained stable my Urologist tells me that it could be due to the radiotherapy and a form of radiation proctitis or maybe a pelvic muscular floor issue. Gabapentin has helped me in the past , maybe give that a try.

All best wishes

Pete