I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Concern over high psa and symptoms

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 04:37

Hi, I'm 57 and currently on a waiting list for open heart surgery to replace an aortic valve (for the second time) sometime this spring.

A couple of weeks ago i started experiencing symtoms which are new to me....I kept needing to go for a pee constantly throughout the night so was finding it hard to get any sleep.

I went to a Doctor who did some tests which showed no obvious signs of infection...some trace levels of blood in my urine, and an enlarged but smooth prostate after a physical examination.

I have now had a psa test which came back with a rather worrying reading of 8.5

I'm now feeling very panicked, firstly because i'm worried about cancer, but also its another potentially big thing on top of the already daunting heart surgery coming up.

I have an appointment with a urologist next week and am not sure what the next step will be.

Is there anything else other than cancer that it could be given the reading and symptoms ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 05:40

Morning John,

Welcome to the club. I'm sorry that you've had to join, but I'm glad you have.

There are several other much less serious prostate disorders that could cause a rise in PSA. So try not to worry too much, your urologists will explore all possibilities.

I too have heart problems, two very blocked arteries to the heart. It was why they took so long before they agreed that I was fit for robotic surgery to remove my prostate.

Sod's law less than two months after the op, I had a minor heart attack and ended up in hospital for a fortnight. It was awful having to deal with the side effects of prostate surgery whilst at the same time dealing with the heart condition. Covered in wires connected to a heart monitor and peeing uncontrollably.  I feared electrification.🙂

They were looking at giving me a bypass but then decided on rotablation and stents. Which seemed to do the trick, until 3 months ago, when symptoms returned. I'm on the waiting list for whatever they decide to do next.

I shouldn't worry too much about your valve op, there were a few that had it when I was in.  Are you having a pigs or an artifical one?

It was weird being on the cardiology ward with young and apparently very fit men, suffering with very serious heart conditions, who were feeling sorry for me because I'd had cancer. Their conditions were far more life threatening than mine. It showed how most people think cancer is the worst thing that can happen to you when it clearly isn't.

Having gone through cardiac arrest makes you realise how fragile life is. Here one minute, nearly gone the next. It puts the risk we suffer from prostate cancer into perspective.

I'm sure you'll sail through the heart surgery and urology will sort out your other problem

Best of luck mate. Don't hesitate to PM me, if at anytime you are struggling and need a chat.

Adrian.

Edited by member 24 Jan 2024 at 07:30  | Reason: Typos!