I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Margins. What are they?

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 12:50

Can anyone explain margins to me. I have tried to research it, but I'm still bamboozled.

After my first MRI scan the consultant stated 'low-grade disease, reasonable safety margin around the line of focus'

That is the only reference to margins I've ever had.

Whilst being on here, I've seen reference made to no margins, positive margins and negative margins.

There were no margins mentioned on my follow up MRI but the staging had been upgraded to T3a. After RARP the staging confirming T3a, the capsule had been breached, extra prostatic extension. Presumably whatever margins I once had, had been thrown out of the window.

I've never been good with margins, at school they were always filled with "See me!"

Adrian

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 14:45

In simple terms, as that's all I know, a negative margin means there were no cancer cells found between the lesion and the edge of the prostate or sample removed which probably means they removed all the lesion.  Nothing can be guaranteed.   

A positive margin means there were cancer cells up to the edge or the prostate or sample which could mean not all the lesion was removed, although you might get away with it.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 15:06

Hi Adrian

Before my surgery my urologist told me that there was a good 'negative' margin and that he was confident of a favourable outcome. But the real test was after the prostate was removed and when checked for Gleason score it was also reported that there were no cancer cells near the surface of the prostate. How accurate was that assessment? So far so good after 12 years, but I can't say I feel totally relaxed about it all!

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 18:20

It’s a border around the clinically significant cancer…..ie visible They check the tissue margin taken around the tumour in surgery for evidence of cancer cells. If none are found in the margin/border it’s referred to negative. If cancer cell are found (positive margin) if you have neuroSAFE (realtime pathology) there is an opportunity for the surgeon to remove more tissue to reduce chances of leaving cancer cells behind.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 14:45

In simple terms, as that's all I know, a negative margin means there were no cancer cells found between the lesion and the edge of the prostate or sample removed which probably means they removed all the lesion.  Nothing can be guaranteed.   

A positive margin means there were cancer cells up to the edge or the prostate or sample which could mean not all the lesion was removed, although you might get away with it.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 15:06

Hi Adrian

Before my surgery my urologist told me that there was a good 'negative' margin and that he was confident of a favourable outcome. But the real test was after the prostate was removed and when checked for Gleason score it was also reported that there were no cancer cells near the surface of the prostate. How accurate was that assessment? So far so good after 12 years, but I can't say I feel totally relaxed about it all!

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 18:20

It’s a border around the clinically significant cancer…..ie visible They check the tissue margin taken around the tumour in surgery for evidence of cancer cells. If none are found in the margin/border it’s referred to negative. If cancer cell are found (positive margin) if you have neuroSAFE (realtime pathology) there is an opportunity for the surgeon to remove more tissue to reduce chances of leaving cancer cells behind.