I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Why you should wear it with pride.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 09:25

Long, long ago, well actually it was only 18 months ago, but it seems like a lifetime.

I was sat in a local club, that I'd only just joined.  I didn't know anyone. I was sat on my own looking forlornly into my pint. I was feeling sorry for myself. I'd just been told that during active surveillance my prostate cancer had significantly progressed and I needed radical treatment.

I'd done some research, and had decided to have robotic surgery. I was anxious about the procedure and the side effects.

Sat at a nearby table were a group of men and women, who I now know are regulars. One of the blokes was wearing the Prostate Cancer UKs, Man of Men pin badge and he was talking about the disease.

At an appropriate pause in the conversation, when most of them had gone out for a fag. I approached the badge wearer and told him that I also had cancer.

He was brilliant. He sat with me, and over a couple of drinks discussed his treatment. Unbelievably, only 6 months previously, he'd had the same surgery at the same hospital that I was booked into.

We nattered for over an hour. At the end of it I felt so much better.

I'm now a regular and me and the prostate cancer badge bloke have become good pals. I now wear the same badge.

He, like me, is making good progress. His PSA checks have all come back undetectable.

Perhaps, one day, someone else with the same concerns, may join us for a pint.

Last year our club chose Prostate Cancer UK as one of it's charities and raised almost four hundred quid.

That little Men Utd badge now means a lot to me and I wear it with pride. Do you?

Adrian.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 09:25

Long, long ago, well actually it was only 18 months ago, but it seems like a lifetime.

I was sat in a local club, that I'd only just joined.  I didn't know anyone. I was sat on my own looking forlornly into my pint. I was feeling sorry for myself. I'd just been told that during active surveillance my prostate cancer had significantly progressed and I needed radical treatment.

I'd done some research, and had decided to have robotic surgery. I was anxious about the procedure and the side effects.

Sat at a nearby table were a group of men and women, who I now know are regulars. One of the blokes was wearing the Prostate Cancer UKs, Man of Men pin badge and he was talking about the disease.

At an appropriate pause in the conversation, when most of them had gone out for a fag. I approached the badge wearer and told him that I also had cancer.

He was brilliant. He sat with me, and over a couple of drinks discussed his treatment. Unbelievably, only 6 months previously, he'd had the same surgery at the same hospital that I was booked into.

We nattered for over an hour. At the end of it I felt so much better.

I'm now a regular and me and the prostate cancer badge bloke have become good pals. I now wear the same badge.

He, like me, is making good progress. His PSA checks have all come back undetectable.

Perhaps, one day, someone else with the same concerns, may join us for a pint.

Last year our club chose Prostate Cancer UK as one of it's charities and raised almost four hundred quid.

That little Men Utd badge now means a lot to me and I wear it with pride. Do you?

Adrian.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 10:16

Yes, I do wear it quite often. 

The trigger was many years before I was diagnosed. Every year at work they  celebrated Breast Cancer Day. Everyone dressed in pink and the usual pink paraphanalia was all over the place. Our Company was a significant contributor to breast cancer charities and events. It miffed me somewhat that breasts were getting so much exposure (hold the jokes please) whilst our little gland was ignored. I had the badge in my briefcase having been given it after making a small contribution a while back. So, when the next Breast Cancer Day came around I made my point. I dressed all in blue with my badge proudly displayed and explained to my mostly female colleagues why I felt that PCa awareness needed to be given more headspace. Little did I know at the time that I would later become a member of this 'club'. 

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 13:40

Haha cheers pal. 17th/21st Lancers, long before amalgamation. I'm old me......😬

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 22:09

I picked up various bits and pieces including The Cancer T Shirt after doing a month long charity run a year or so back. I wear the badge and the T shirt fairly regularly but the run was great on various counts. 70km over a month raised a decent amount of money and highlighting of the disease but it was also very valuable as motivation to get out there and challenge the body at a time [taking Zoladex] when it wasn't all that keen on physical exertion. I felt a bit guilty about getting something out of what was a giving exercise.

Next time it comes up I'll post it here in case any of our inmates might like to have a go.

Jules

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 21:47

Am having a lot of trouble getting one of these pins ,I would love to have one , I have signed up for the March walk, so I hope to raise something,for prostate cancer uk , 

this time last year , I knew nothing about prostate cancer, ,my journey started in May 2023 and in November 2023 had a robotic surgery, nerves ,lymph nodes,sermil save all removed , now undetectable psa,and incontinence

i only found out by chance 

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 11:26

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Am having a lot of trouble getting one of these pins ,I would love to have one , I have signed up for the March walk, so I hope to raise something,for prostate cancer uk , 

I bought mine from the online shop on this site. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 10:16

Yes, I do wear it quite often. 

The trigger was many years before I was diagnosed. Every year at work they  celebrated Breast Cancer Day. Everyone dressed in pink and the usual pink paraphanalia was all over the place. Our Company was a significant contributor to breast cancer charities and events. It miffed me somewhat that breasts were getting so much exposure (hold the jokes please) whilst our little gland was ignored. I had the badge in my briefcase having been given it after making a small contribution a while back. So, when the next Breast Cancer Day came around I made my point. I dressed all in blue with my badge proudly displayed and explained to my mostly female colleagues why I felt that PCa awareness needed to be given more headspace. Little did I know at the time that I would later become a member of this 'club'. 

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 10:29

It miffed me somewhat that breasts were getting so much exposure (hold the jokes please) whilst our little gland was ignored. 
😁👍

I noticed that we were this years charity for the World's dart championship. A bookie company pledged a grand for every 180 scored. There were over 900 and the bookie rounded it up to a cool million.

I think it's a fantastic charity. It gives me a bit of a buzz when I see celebs and sports folk wearing the badge and supporting the cause.

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 10:54  | Reason: Reduce text

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 12:57

I have worn a prostate cancer UK wristband every day since my RALP back in 2019. They typically lasted a couple of months before the writing and little men wore off. The one I'm wearing now is a slightly different design in that it's embossed with the logo and little men, so looks set to last significantly longer. 

I also occasionally wear the Man of Men pin if I'm wearing a suit. 

Cheers, 

Kev.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 13:18

Hi Adrian

Yes, I wear the badge, much to my wife's dismay. She says it is a bit "look at me, I've got cancer" and doesn't really like me wearing it. I however, like to wear it as often as possible. I'd be delighted if it just prompted one bloke to either raise the subject, or quietly go off and get tested. I think the more we can raise awareness of this disease the better. I would never have got myself tested if I hadn't seen some PCUK leaflets in my GPs waiting room.

Ian.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 13:35

I think the more we can raise awareness of this disease the better. I would never have got myself tested if I hadn't seen some PCUK leaflets in my GPs waiting room. 

I entirely agree mate. I like your new avatar, 'Death or Glory' Royal Lancers. One of the Army's most famous mottos.  

The RMPs was 'Exemplo Ducemus' by example we shall lead. I think there'd be a few squaddies who'd disagree with that. 😇

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 13:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 13:40

Haha cheers pal. 17th/21st Lancers, long before amalgamation. I'm old me......😬

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 22:09

I picked up various bits and pieces including The Cancer T Shirt after doing a month long charity run a year or so back. I wear the badge and the T shirt fairly regularly but the run was great on various counts. 70km over a month raised a decent amount of money and highlighting of the disease but it was also very valuable as motivation to get out there and challenge the body at a time [taking Zoladex] when it wasn't all that keen on physical exertion. I felt a bit guilty about getting something out of what was a giving exercise.

Next time it comes up I'll post it here in case any of our inmates might like to have a go.

Jules

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 21:47

this time last year , I knew nothing about prostate cancer, ,my journey started in May 2023 and in November 2023 had a robotic surgery, nerves ,lymph nodes,sermil save all removed , now undetectable psa,and incontinence

i only found out by chance 

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 11:26

I bought mine from the online shop on this site.