Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Need LynEyre Advice, please!

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 18:04

Hi LynEyre, 

I'm worried about my PSA levels, can you please advise if this is cancer/prostatitis/BPH or all together :-(

I'm 49 years old today, and my PSA levels:

Mar 2019: 0.64

May 2020: 0.62

Aug 2021: 0.68

Aug 2022: 0.75

Aug 2023: 1.53

Oct 2023: 1.12, after taking Doxycycline for 4-weeks 

Feb 2024: 1.54

Your thoughts on these values are kindly appreciated.

Thanks,

Omar

Edited by member 02 Feb 2024 at 00:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 19:20

Hi Omar.

I'm not medically qualified.

At 49 years old, it seems your PSA would have to above 2.5 ng/ml to be deemed abnormal.

Is there any particular reason why you've had regular PSA checks since you were 45 years old? Have you had prostate problems? Or have you a very strong family history of prostate cancer? I suppose your slight increase could be caused by various prostate disorders or maybe its due to you getting older.

If it's bothering you mate see your doctor.

Adrian

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 19:25  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 20:22

Hi in your previous posts you mentioned covid and I must say that in my experience covid has an effect on any existing  inflamation you may have 

Covid seems to find and exploit any  weak spots of inflamation so targeting inflamation is key 

You said doxycycline reduced your PSA- me and my husband had very bad covid in november 2022 and it was doxycycline that stopped the covid

What I am saying is  covid / long covid is most probably causing your inflamation and your prostate is your weak spot 

Ibuprofen works well on long covid inflammation but you can't take it every day as it burns the oesophagus, cider vinegar is good, alkaline is good - cucumber celery melon esp watermelon

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 21:31  | Reason: Spelling mistake

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 01:52

You don't need my advice, you need to talk to your doctor. It is good to have annual PSA tests so that you can see what's happening over an extended period of time but at the moment, the best of your life could potentially be wasted as a result of your fear of prostate cancer. PSA doesn't usually go up & down if you have cancer - it just keeps on going up. You have already been assessed by a urologist who wasn't overly concerned about prostate cancer and had some reason to believe it was prostatitis - there is no reason to think s/he would take a different view now but you can presumably go back to see him / her again?
What tests did the urologist do last year before prescribing the antibiotic? MRI?

Edited by member 02 Feb 2024 at 01:54  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 07:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Aug 2022:

- done at the Urology clinic, part of my annual screening obsession with  prostate cancer.

Aug 2023:

- done at the Urology clinic, part of my annual screening obsession with prostate cancer.

Omar, mate. I think youve been given very sound advice. We are not medically qualified. I fully sympathise with your obsession with prostate cancer, it must be awful for you. Maybe its more of a psychological problem than a physical one?

See your GP mate and hopefully your mind will be put at rest.

Adrian.

Edited by member 02 Feb 2024 at 07:40  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 10:42

I'm no Dr but it seems your prostate may be enlarged due to inflamation bc your flow isnt good 

Inflammation can develop into cancer but it often doesnt 

I have no idea how they treat an enlarged prostate King Charles was recently treated for it I would ĺove to know what treatment he had 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 11:21

I have no idea how they treat an enlarged prostate King Charles was recently treated for it I would ĺove to know what treatment he had

Whatever he had done, you can guarantee it will have been performed by the best urologist in the realm, and it will have cost a kings ransom for me or you. 🙂

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 11:24

And putting a finger up the royal bum for a DRE is probably an act of treason! 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 14:41

Pretty sure KC111 has had either a TURP or a HOLEP

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 14:47
Omar, your free PSA ratio of 33% indicates that this is not cancer. A sharp rise isn't a sharp rise if it has only risen to the level it was last year which then successfully dropped after antibiotics.

The problem with keeping someone on antibiotics for longer than they are intended to be for, is that the infection / inflammation can become antibiotic-resistant. There are some men who need prophylactic antibiotics due to long term UTI / prostatitis but it is avoided wherever possible.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 19:20

Hi Omar.

I'm not medically qualified.

At 49 years old, it seems your PSA would have to above 2.5 ng/ml to be deemed abnormal.

Is there any particular reason why you've had regular PSA checks since you were 45 years old? Have you had prostate problems? Or have you a very strong family history of prostate cancer? I suppose your slight increase could be caused by various prostate disorders or maybe its due to you getting older.

If it's bothering you mate see your doctor.

Adrian

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 19:25  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 19:48

I've been checking my PSA annually since the age of 41 (2016), and my PSA back then was 0.54 with average velocity of 0.06.

Father is 95 now with just BPH.

I don't have symptoms, I'm just terrified of prostate cancer, and this recent jump 1.12 ->1.54 in 4-months is stressing me out really bad. Urologist suspected prostatitis back in August 2023 and put me on antibiotic for 4-weeks and it dropped PSA level a little bit (1.53->1.12) but today I regained that loss.

Thanks,

Omar

Edited by member 02 Feb 2024 at 00:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 20:22

Hi in your previous posts you mentioned covid and I must say that in my experience covid has an effect on any existing  inflamation you may have 

Covid seems to find and exploit any  weak spots of inflamation so targeting inflamation is key 

You said doxycycline reduced your PSA- me and my husband had very bad covid in november 2022 and it was doxycycline that stopped the covid

What I am saying is  covid / long covid is most probably causing your inflamation and your prostate is your weak spot 

Ibuprofen works well on long covid inflammation but you can't take it every day as it burns the oesophagus, cider vinegar is good, alkaline is good - cucumber celery melon esp watermelon

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 21:31  | Reason: Spelling mistake

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 22:50

Hi Lizzo37,

True, I was talking about covid few days ago pretending to be smart, but I'd completely forgotten about the covid role after seeing my PSA result today :-(

I never tested positive for covid, but I want to point out right after the new year's, I caught something don't know what it was because I'd never gone to see a doctor about it. My symptoms lasted for 1-week, and they were:

- slight soar throat.

- lost 95% of my voice - raspy/hoarseness voice.

- slightly runny nose.

- no fever/no pain.

I had a Moderna's 2-dose series vaccine back in September/October 2021.

Do you find the oscillation 1.53->1.12->1.54 over the time period (august 2023 - feb 2024) suspicious?

I'm thinking of rechecking my PSA in 4-weeks, what you think?

Thanks,

Omar

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 22:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 01:52

You don't need my advice, you need to talk to your doctor. It is good to have annual PSA tests so that you can see what's happening over an extended period of time but at the moment, the best of your life could potentially be wasted as a result of your fear of prostate cancer. PSA doesn't usually go up & down if you have cancer - it just keeps on going up. You have already been assessed by a urologist who wasn't overly concerned about prostate cancer and had some reason to believe it was prostatitis - there is no reason to think s/he would take a different view now but you can presumably go back to see him / her again?
What tests did the urologist do last year before prescribing the antibiotic? MRI?

Edited by member 02 Feb 2024 at 01:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 03:55

Thank you so much for replying back to my message, LynEyre!

If PSA kinetics (velocity) is NOT used in finding prostate cancer, I'd consider myself a lucky man today; ie, I'd treat this PSA variation within normal range (under 2.5) same way I'd normally look at (and react to) the rest of my fluctuating (but within range) blood work - with no fear.

More insight into my PSA tests:

Aug 2022:

- done at the Urology clinic, part of my annual screening obsession with prostate cancer.

- PSA=0.75.

- DRE=30g, smooth, no nodules.

Aug 2023:

- PSA=1.53. 

- DRE=40g, smooth, no nodules.

- Right off the bat, urologist diagnosed me with prostatitis and put me on Doxycycline for 4-weeks.

Oct 2023:

- back at the urology clinic. 

- PSA=1.12.

- Free PSA Ratio=33%.

- Urologist determined that my PSA normalized after it dropped 53% in response to antibiotic.

- Recheck again after 6-months in April 2024.

Jan 2024: 

- I turned 49 on January 18, 2024, so I decided to have a comprehensive blood work at the family practice since I'm approaching 50 now.

- PSA=1.54.

- Nobody contacted me (neither Family Physician nor Urologist) regarding the new PSA jump or my comprehensive blood work - rest of my blood work came back within normal ranges.

There was never an order for an MRI.

I now question if urologist should've kept me on antibiotic a little longer until it reached my baseline of 0.75 in 2022.

But Maybe I have both, prostatitis and cancer, 53% drop back in october was due to prostatitis, and continued to rise due to cancer. I plan to see the urologist after 4-weeks from today, and ask for an MRI and biopsy.

Thank you again LynEyre for your earlier response message.

Later,

Omar

Edited by member 02 Feb 2024 at 04:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 07:39

Aug 2022:

- done at the Urology clinic, part of my annual screening obsession with  prostate cancer.

Aug 2023:

Omar, mate. I think youve been given very sound advice. We are not medically qualified. I fully sympathise with your obsession with prostate cancer, it must be awful for you. Maybe its more of a psychological problem than a physical one?

See your GP mate and hopefully your mind will be put at rest.

Adrian.

Edited by member 02 Feb 2024 at 07:40  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 10:42

I'm no Dr but it seems your prostate may be enlarged due to inflamation bc your flow isnt good 

Inflammation can develop into cancer but it often doesnt 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 11:21

Whatever he had done, you can guarantee it will have been performed by the best urologist in the realm, and it will have cost a kings ransom for me or you. 🙂

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 11:24

And putting a finger up the royal bum for a DRE is probably an act of treason! 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 12:32
I wonder if we will now see TENA MEN boxes with the royal seal - "As supplied to HRH King Charles III"
User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 14:41

Pretty sure KC111 has had either a TURP or a HOLEP

User
Posted 02 Feb 2024 at 14:47
Omar, your free PSA ratio of 33% indicates that this is not cancer. A sharp rise isn't a sharp rise if it has only risen to the level it was last year which then successfully dropped after antibiotics.

The problem with keeping someone on antibiotics for longer than they are intended to be for, is that the infection / inflammation can become antibiotic-resistant. There are some men who need prophylactic antibiotics due to long term UTI / prostatitis but it is avoided wherever possible.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 04:36

Thank you all for the kind responses and feedback. 

I'll try to move on and wait for my next PSA check test.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanks,

Omar

User
Posted 18 Mar 2024 at 00:05

My total PSA dropped from 1.54 (Jan 31, 24) to 1.32 (Mar 5, 24).

My free PSA% also dropped from 33% (Oct 4, 23) to 25% (March 5, 24).

My baseline PSA in August 2022 was 0.75.

Doctor said after DRE in August 2023 that my prostate size has increased from approx 30g (Aug 2022) to 40g (Aug 2023), but remained smooth, no nodules.

Is it possible for prostatitis to scar (thicken) the prostate which leads to a new (higher) PSA baseline which explains why it hasn't normalized to 0.75?

Also, I heard stories on this forum of PSA level 80 and no cancer ever found. Are there any cases of prostate cancer with PSA level below 1.5? 

Thanks,

Omar, 49-years old.

Edited by member 18 Mar 2024 at 04:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Mar 2024 at 20:59
Very few, although the widely known Dr Eugene Kwon of Mayo says he has seen it in his Clinic. There are some types of PCa that exhibit very low PSA and they are often quite aggressive types. But for goodness sake don't look for something else to worry about!
Barry
User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 07:13

Thank you, Barry!

I'm really not trying to scare myself here, just trying to find any explanation to why my PSA level decided to jump to a new baseline (1.12 - 1.54 range) which is "slightly elevated" for a 49-year-old, and never fully normalized to previous baseline of 0.75 from August 2022. But again, my prostate size has also increased from 30g to 40g in 12-month period.

Thanks,

Omar

Edited by member 19 Mar 2024 at 07:23  | Reason: Not specified