I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pump usage post prostatectomy? lost size?

User
Posted 11 Feb 2024 at 01:38

I am a relatively young patient  and almost a year ago I had an operation which involved removing my bladder and prostate with no nerves spared. I have 0 erections at this point and am getting heavily depressed. I also have other issues in my life and am not doing well at all here. I am not suicidal but am getting increasingly desperate and terribly sad with my situation. Being without a partner and no prospects of ever having one doesn't help at all either. I am also heavily sexually frustrated.

To get to the point, I attended my andrology clinic 3 months ago where I was told that there is no good evidence to indicate the use of a pump and hence he never prescribed one for me. He said there is no need to use one at all. I got a pump for myself regardless and I just recently starting pumping however I want to ask you here what are your thoughts of my andrologists position?

In addition, I noticed that after my surgery my flaccid penis size looked quite the same and I was quite reassured in myself however after 4-5 months the flaccid state rather suddenly shrunk. Now when its a bit cold outside (10c) my dick virtually disappears!. I got shocked. I have to push against my pubic skin to actually find it. I was never like that pre-surgery. When I am home and sat down the muscles seem to relax and my penis comes out again to a more or less normal flaccid length. I do know that with cold your penis shrinks but this level of shrinkage is new to me. For some reason when I am sat down for some time the penis does come out again. Is all this the result of my surgery? is it because I haven't had erections for a while so the pelvic muscles when I stand get quite tight and relaxed when I sit down?  If I get dressed and go out my penis will quickly shrink a lot before I get the chance to expose myself to the cold.  I just do not get it. 

I am soon to try injections for the first time so am not sure what is my erect length at this point and whether the flaccid length is a good indicator or not. Inside the pump I manage to pass 5 inches before feeling uncomfortable. Pre surgery my pubic bone pressed length was 6 inches. I have just started using a pump regularly and am reading reports from various people that after pump usage they were able to gain back some lost length. Is there any truth to this? How did you measure before and after surgery? are you sure of your pump gains? How much  you lost had how much you gained back?

Lastly, for those without any nerves, who get 0 natural erections, is there a way for the glans to swell? (without using a pump). what about with injections? Do your glans flare up at all when you inject or do they remain as flaccid as they were before the injection? Thus far what I read is with injections the glans do not swell and those reports that say they do is probably because they still have nerves in place and they don't know it.

Any contributions welcome! I am panicking here that I will also lose my penis. It is not enough I lost my erections now I can't even self pleasure myself properly.  

User
Posted 11 Feb 2024 at 09:39

Hi Jimmy.

I had non nerve sparing RARP a year ago. I definitely lost some length. I make Michelangelo's, David, look well hung. 

I didn't want to use a pump. I'm very ham-fisted and impatient. I knew I'd either injure myself or end up lobbing the pump out of the window.

Down below, I'm as dead as a Dodo. The only time I get a slight swelling is whilst pushing to have poo, which is hardly an ideal time to start foreplay.

There's also a tiny bit of action whilst soaping down below when showering.

Sex has always been important to me and the thought of never managing to have an erection was devastating. 

Fortunately, 6 months after surgery, I had an ED clinic meeting. I was prescribed Invicorp injections and they work well. Weirdly, although I'm smaller when flaccid, post op, I think I'm about the same size erect.  The wife reckons the girth's actually improved. I joke with her that's very complimentary, but say, it's more likely that she's shrunk due to months of inactivity. 

Here's a link to an Invicorp related thread.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29845-Hooray-for-Invicorp

Being smaller flaccid, does create problems, especially when it's cold. In winter, it can be a nightmare, whilst you're out, trying to pull it through your fly hole, to have pee. By the time you've managed to find and grab it, then tug it out off your jeans, you've nearly run out of todger.

Edited by member 11 Feb 2024 at 13:23  | Reason: Add link

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 00:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Thats what everyone says yet the doctors in my London trust that I have met tend to differ. So far 2 out of 2 have told me that there is not enough/inconclusive good evidence about the efficacy of pumps.

I suspect that they are representing the position of the NHS Trust. When I first joined here, it was standard all around the country that men could have a pump after RP but more and more Trusts have withdrawn it in recent years - some are honest and say they can't afford it while others hide behind the 'lack of evidence' thing. However, there are still plenty of areas of England & Wales where the NHS funds a pump for any man who needs it (prostate cancer, diabetes, heart disease, spinal injury to name a few). 

I don't think there is any doubt in the urology world that the pump helps to keep penile tissue healthy and prevents atrophy. What is lacking is any hard evidence that using the pump will help a man to recover natural erections.  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 11:57

Pumps are not just about recovrring erections. They're important for men who are permanently without erections too - they still need to maintain penile health.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2024 at 01:38

I am a relatively young patient  and almost a year ago I had an operation which involved removing my bladder and prostate with no nerves spared. I have 0 erections at this point and am getting heavily depressed. I also have other issues in my life and am not doing well at all here. I am not suicidal but am getting increasingly desperate and terribly sad with my situation. Being without a partner and no prospects of ever having one doesn't help at all either. I am also heavily sexually frustrated.

To get to the point, I attended my andrology clinic 3 months ago where I was told that there is no good evidence to indicate the use of a pump and hence he never prescribed one for me. He said there is no need to use one at all. I got a pump for myself regardless and I just recently starting pumping however I want to ask you here what are your thoughts of my andrologists position?

In addition, I noticed that after my surgery my flaccid penis size looked quite the same and I was quite reassured in myself however after 4-5 months the flaccid state rather suddenly shrunk. Now when its a bit cold outside (10c) my dick virtually disappears!. I got shocked. I have to push against my pubic skin to actually find it. I was never like that pre-surgery. When I am home and sat down the muscles seem to relax and my penis comes out again to a more or less normal flaccid length. I do know that with cold your penis shrinks but this level of shrinkage is new to me. For some reason when I am sat down for some time the penis does come out again. Is all this the result of my surgery? is it because I haven't had erections for a while so the pelvic muscles when I stand get quite tight and relaxed when I sit down?  If I get dressed and go out my penis will quickly shrink a lot before I get the chance to expose myself to the cold.  I just do not get it. 

I am soon to try injections for the first time so am not sure what is my erect length at this point and whether the flaccid length is a good indicator or not. Inside the pump I manage to pass 5 inches before feeling uncomfortable. Pre surgery my pubic bone pressed length was 6 inches. I have just started using a pump regularly and am reading reports from various people that after pump usage they were able to gain back some lost length. Is there any truth to this? How did you measure before and after surgery? are you sure of your pump gains? How much  you lost had how much you gained back?

Lastly, for those without any nerves, who get 0 natural erections, is there a way for the glans to swell? (without using a pump). what about with injections? Do your glans flare up at all when you inject or do they remain as flaccid as they were before the injection? Thus far what I read is with injections the glans do not swell and those reports that say they do is probably because they still have nerves in place and they don't know it.

Any contributions welcome! I am panicking here that I will also lose my penis. It is not enough I lost my erections now I can't even self pleasure myself properly.  

User
Posted 11 Feb 2024 at 15:00

Hey Adrian,

Thanks for your reply.

I have no bladder(urostomy in place) so I never need to find it in order to pee. My peeing function is 100% automated. Lucky me eh?

Interesting to read that you are smaller when flaccid but around the same when erect. In your experience do you need stimulation for invicorp to work well or it doesn't matter?

I too think that maybe with some pump usage I might claim back the natural shrinkage that might have occurred due to non usage however interested to hear from more experienced guys on that.

Edited by member 12 Feb 2024 at 16:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 12:39
Seems to remember I used to enjoy using them too, it feels good to feel blood and pressure in the old man when you can't get it naturally. So it certainly encouraged me to persist and I am so glad I did.
User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 03:09

My experience  RP at 53 supposed to be nerve sparing nearly 2 years on no spontaneous erections 

Over here in NZ you are on your own There is no government funding for pumps, surgeons do surgery and are not in the field of rehabilitation. There are plenty of resources like this one out there so find one that you can relate to and get into it .

I brought a cheap pump from an adult shop initially pre-RP. It has a hand pump with a separate cylinder. It worked but you need lube to help the seal and is a bit messy and not convenient. 

I looked around and did a bit of research. I ended up with a Bathmate pump to use in the shower much easier for regular exercising each day 

This is a water filled system that seals well and it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t as I am in the shower. I made a cheep sling from a piece of 6mm cord that hold it up while I am showering so it is hands free  

I do 3-4 cycles each time I have a shower

Watched a few pumping videos by the ladies in Australia and  on U tube and  they encourage Jelqing to return length back to normal or as near to normal as it is going to be .

Like others have said the pumping is to keep the penis in good health as we no longer have natural erections while sleeping. It is a muscle it needs to be exercised or it will shrink up and we will have to sit to pee

If I brought a pump again I would probably get the AliExpress model of the bath mate The adult toy shops are overpriced and all their gear comes from China anyway 

I also brought a Vacurect pump not as convenient as the Bathmate for exercising but works for play time. There only downfall is the rings are not that friendly to take off after play  

Have tried Caverject but for me it gives 3 hour erections no matter the dose. Would have been good when I was 18 but not a 55

I am probably back to near pre-RP dimensions now but who is measuring any way 

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 16:49

I was prescribed the SOMAErect Response II and my GP said this is the most common one urologists prescribe.

Have you seen any length gains from using a pump? I see reports of people who have managed to gain back their length loses or so they say but they don't provide sufficient context. 

Thanks I thought it would be the SomaErect Response. That is the one I was prescribed as well. However, I purchased the Vaccurect device before and had abandoned it (as I could not get to work). It is all I use now. 

Have I gained the length and girth back? My natural erection size is pitiful compared to what it once was, however the pumped up version is close enough to its former glory! I don't know if the pumped up erection length is a realistic indication  or just artificial.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:45

There is some useful  information in this link:

Preserving penis length after radical prostatectomy Harvard Health https://www.health.harvard.edu › blog › preservin

Edited by member 18 Feb 2024 at 21:48  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 23:18

Thanks Pratap, that’s an interesting read, it implies having good blood flow helps to keep the length. I had nerve sparing 6 months ago and get some erections, although not like before. I use the pump for sex but not rehab daily. I am currently taking Tadaladil daily for blood flow. I wonder if it would be good to take indefinitely to keep the  blood flow going, I read somewhere that 12 months is enough for the daily medication, although recovery can take up to 2 years.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 09:48

It is also bit scary as the shaft of my todger is now considerably reduced to what it was and jabbing the needle into the glans fills me with dread.

Obviously you should NEVER jab the glans!
I am very small when relaxed - I mean it resembles an acorn and can at times completely disappear but I was shown by the urologist how to pull on the glans to stretch it which encourages some limited blood flow into the shaft and after maybe a minute, there is sufficient shaft visible to inject into. Basically I target about 2cm from the base and alternate between left and right sides - the day that inject the left side is harder as I am right handed and I have felt that I made a mistake once, but no harm done.
After the first few times, you get the hang of it and it's a non-event. Just massage it after the injection to move the liquid around a bit and wait for the magic to happen.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 10:28

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23102441/

Shows that on average, a man, who's done no penile rehabilitation, after a prostatectomy, loses 10mm length.

Because I've got lots of time on my hands I've done a lot of research on the effects on the penis after prostatectomy. After 67 years, I've become rather attached to mine.

It seems, considering it's so important to men, that there has been very little research in the subject. 

The rehabilitation efficacy of pumps is rather inconclusive. I could put links to this but can't really be *rsed. 

Most research suggests that after a couple of years the average man will regain most of his penile length.

If I lose half an inch,  I can live with with that 5% reduction. 😁

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 10:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 12:40

My wife had an ex-boyfriend when she was younger who became 'ex' because she told him that he wasn't putting that 'thing' anywhere near her.

Yeah, I remember it well. 😉

Only joking mate.

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 13:42  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:09

Hi Jimmy

The information about whether a vacuum pump can re-establish the length off a penis to something like it was before prostatectomy is not available. However a urethra is a flexible/extendable part of the urinary system so it is obvious that if you use a pump regularly over a few months your penis will regain at least some of the apparent loss of length. Here is my experience: I started using the NHS prescribed Somaerect about 8 weeks after my surgery; it was a messy business because I was still leaking urine! After further 4/5 weeks of practice I was able to inflate my penis up to about half way up the vacuum cylinder (4 inches) and we were able to have penetrative sex, showing that both you and wife/partner can experience orgasm even with a relatively quite short penis! Gradually over the next 4/5 months I was able to inflate my penis to about 2 inches (2/3 finger width) short of the top of the cylinder. I have just measured the length of the vacuum cylinder which is just under 8 inches. So I am able to achieve an erection about 5.5/6 inches long, which appears to be the average size of an erect penis; I always knew that I am an average sort of guy!

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 06:43

Have a look at this video good informative explanation of what is happening 

https://youtu.be/Cr1rQvevSsM?si=ywmEnjV65AjBWcSa

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 10:25

I love the touchy subject videos and info, Victoria has such a lovely way of describing things.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 10:18

I had non-nerve sparing radical prostatectomy back in July so I knew natural erections were going to be a thing of the past. I am not sexually active with a partner and luckily, I can achieve an orgasm fairly easily by masturbating my flaccid penis - indeed I am one of the fortunate ones who have experienced far better orgasms since surgery. I was offered help by my consultant to get erections which I declined at the time. However, following my first three month psa test, the nurse recommended using a pump to prevent atrophy. The hospital trust provided me with one for free two weeks ago and I am currently using it daily.

I knew that my penis might possibly shrink in length after surgery and lo and behold, it did. I am wondering how much length it might recover with pumping. Personally, I find it no big deal. Yes, it’s a bit messy with the lubrication but the experience is not an unpleasant one. In fact, I find it gives me a nice tingling feeling down below. I was amazed how quickly the penis grows from the first few pumps, and how, as I repeat the action several times, I am able to get bigger and bigger erections. My one attempt so far to maintain my erection was partly successful. I was left with a much enlarged penis but it was t fully erect. This may mean I need to pump it up more before sliding on the constrictor. 

One strange effect I get in the morning is that when I wake up, I y penis feels like it is erect just like it always was pre-op. However, I know this can’t be the case and when I check, it’s as flaccid as usual. I’m not sure what’s going on there - no doubt something to do with my brain.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Feb 2024 at 09:39

Hi Jimmy.

I had non nerve sparing RARP a year ago. I definitely lost some length. I make Michelangelo's, David, look well hung. 

I didn't want to use a pump. I'm very ham-fisted and impatient. I knew I'd either injure myself or end up lobbing the pump out of the window.

Down below, I'm as dead as a Dodo. The only time I get a slight swelling is whilst pushing to have poo, which is hardly an ideal time to start foreplay.

There's also a tiny bit of action whilst soaping down below when showering.

Sex has always been important to me and the thought of never managing to have an erection was devastating. 

Fortunately, 6 months after surgery, I had an ED clinic meeting. I was prescribed Invicorp injections and they work well. Weirdly, although I'm smaller when flaccid, post op, I think I'm about the same size erect.  The wife reckons the girth's actually improved. I joke with her that's very complimentary, but say, it's more likely that she's shrunk due to months of inactivity. 

Here's a link to an Invicorp related thread.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29845-Hooray-for-Invicorp

Being smaller flaccid, does create problems, especially when it's cold. In winter, it can be a nightmare, whilst you're out, trying to pull it through your fly hole, to have pee. By the time you've managed to find and grab it, then tug it out off your jeans, you've nearly run out of todger.

Edited by member 11 Feb 2024 at 13:23  | Reason: Add link

User
Posted 11 Feb 2024 at 15:00

Hey Adrian,

Thanks for your reply.

I have no bladder(urostomy in place) so I never need to find it in order to pee. My peeing function is 100% automated. Lucky me eh?

Interesting to read that you are smaller when flaccid but around the same when erect. In your experience do you need stimulation for invicorp to work well or it doesn't matter?

I too think that maybe with some pump usage I might claim back the natural shrinkage that might have occurred due to non usage however interested to hear from more experienced guys on that.

Edited by member 12 Feb 2024 at 16:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Feb 2024 at 20:31

You aren't any less eligible for sexual support if you're single.

You should look after the health of your penis even if you aren't interested in sex. That includes maintaining length so you can stand to pee at a urinal.

This requires having regular erections, which is necessary to maintain the tissue of the penis. If you can't do this naturally, e.g. you've lost nocturnal erections due to loss of nerves or hormone therapy, then you need to be putting some effort in to the process. Regular use of a pump is a good way to do this. It helps if you've been to a pump clinic and had it demonstrated on you - this doubles the chance of using it successfully at home afterwards. If you have working nerves but lack libido due to HT, Tadalafil and/or porn can help (but that's not for everyone, and it can cause problems if it makes you grieve for what you lost).

Penile injections will also work, but you'll never get prescribed enough of the injections for penile physio, so you'll need a pump too, aiming to get an erection every day, or no less than every other day.

Regular use of a pump will stop you losing further size, and will help restore at least some of what you've lost recently.

Men who don't have regular erections tend to find penis shrinks and it can vanish in to the pubic fat pad (buried penis), making standing to pee impossible. There does seem to be a tendency for these men to eventually suffer from phimosis (can't retract foreskin), which can lead on to hygiene problems and sometimes circumcision.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 00:14

You should look after the health of your penis even if you aren't interested in sex. That includes maintaining length so you can stand to pee at a urinal.

This requires having regular erections, which is necessary to maintain the tissue of the penis. If you can't do this naturally, e.g. you've lost nocturnal erections due to loss of nerves or hormone therapy, then you need to be putting some effort in to the process. Regular use of a pump is a good way to do this. It helps if you've been to a pump clinic and had it demonstrated on you - this doubles the chance of using it successfully at home afterwards. If you have working nerves but lack libido due to HT, Tadalafil and/or porn can help (but that's not for everyone, and it can cause problems if it makes you grieve for what you lost).

Penile injections will also work, but you'll never get prescribed enough of the injections for penile physio, so you'll need a pump too, aiming to get an erection every day, or no less than every other day.

Regular use of a pump will stop you losing further size, and will help restore at least some of what you've lost recently.

Men who don't have regular erections tend to find penis shrinks and it can vanish in to the pubic fat pad (buried penis), making standing to pee impossible. There does seem to be a tendency for these men to eventually suffer from phimosis (can't retract foreskin), which can lead on to hygiene problems and sometimes circumcision.

Thats what everyone says yet the doctors in my London trust that I have met tend to differ. So far 2 out of 2 have told me that there is not enough/inconclusive good evidence about the efficacy of pumps.

It does make sense to me to use a pump and keep the penis "active" and I agree in theory with everything you said but the medical professionals make the whole pump rehab sound like a lot more iffy than we think.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 00:31

I suspect that they are representing the position of the NHS Trust. When I first joined here, it was standard all around the country that men could have a pump after RP but more and more Trusts have withdrawn it in recent years - some are honest and say they can't afford it while others hide behind the 'lack of evidence' thing. However, there are still plenty of areas of England & Wales where the NHS funds a pump for any man who needs it (prostate cancer, diabetes, heart disease, spinal injury to name a few). 

I don't think there is any doubt in the urology world that the pump helps to keep penile tissue healthy and prevents atrophy. What is lacking is any hard evidence that using the pump will help a man to recover natural erections.  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 01:02

What is lacking is any hard evidence that using the pump will help a man to recover natural erections. 

Tee hee.  

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 11:57

Pumps are not just about recovrring erections. They're important for men who are permanently without erections too - they still need to maintain penile health.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 12:39
Seems to remember I used to enjoy using them too, it feels good to feel blood and pressure in the old man when you can't get it naturally. So it certainly encouraged me to persist and I am so glad I did.
User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 03:39

Well, I would love you to come to an appointment with me and argue this point with "experts". Had I not mentioned it they would have never given me a pump which in essence means on the balance of probability they think its not worth pumping. They did prescribe me one when I asked last week however.

Edited by member 17 Feb 2024 at 19:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 09:49

Out of interest, which model of pump did they prescribe you? If I may add, don't give up, in the early days I gave up on the pump, thought it was a waste of time. However, 20 months post op, I use it now (albeit infrequently) without any issues!

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 19:51

Out of interest, which model of pump did they prescribe you? If I may add, don't give up, in the early days I gave up on the pump, thought it was a waste of time. However, 20 months post op, I use it now (albeit infrequently) without any issues!

I was prescribed the SOMAErect Response II and my GP said this is the most common one urologists prescribe.

Have you seen any length gains from using a pump? I see reports of people who have managed to gain back their length loses or so they say but they don't provide sufficient context. 

Edited by member 17 Feb 2024 at 20:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 20:58

Well, I would love you to come to an appointment with me and argue this point with "experts". Had I not mentioned it they would have never given me a pump which in essence means on the balance of probability they think its not worth pumping. They did prescribe me one when I asked last week however.

I think they know it helps but are wary of the cost. When we were trying to get John's pump, I discovered that although the ED clinic 'prescribed' it, they didn't - what they did was write to the GP and say "please prescribe this pump." The GP objected because the £460 was going to come out of his budget. We had to fight :-( Many NHS Trusts have decided that they no longer support the prescribing of vacuum pumps, not because they don't work  but because they are expensive and so many men get a pump and then don't persist with it. Men on time limited HT are entitled to a pump to maintain penile health but you hardly ever hear of men on HT being referred to the ED clinic :-( 

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 21:01

I think there are geographic patterns - in the area where we live, the Osbon Erecaid Esteem seems most popular because that is what the ED nurse for our city recommends. The Farnhurst Elite and SomaErect are the other two 'approved' on the NHS; I am not sure if there is another one as well? . 

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 21:14

I think there are two separate issues, JC - 

-  length - the removal of the prostate involves the removal of the same length of the urethra; if the prostate was 1" long, that is an inch of urethra that has suddenly gone AWOL so the end of the penis is pulled an inch nearer to the bladder. In some men, the bladder drops a bit over time and fills the space where the prostate was so length can recover a bit. For other men, the vacuum can pull the urethra down and, in theory (although I am not sure it has been proven) encourage the bladder to settle a little lower. 

- girth & length - your penis is filled with spongy tissue that expands when blood rushes to the penis, a bit like shaving foam when it comes out of the can. If the spongy tissue isn't expanding regularly, it dies - this is called atrophy and is irreversible. A bit like the dried bit of shaving foam on the nozzle the day after you shaved - it ain't going to foam up again. The vacuum pump draws blood to the spongy tissue and stops it dying although the blood isn't really the right type of blood so some shrinkage can still happen. 

The vacuum pump can help with both issues but it isn't a magic wand. J had a very small prostate at 22cl but has lost at least 1" in length in the last 14 years, mostly (I suspect) because a once a week erection with a tablet or injection cannot replace the multiple erections that a man would normally have each day / night. His girth is more or less unchanged  from the pre-cancer days. 

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 03:09

My experience  RP at 53 supposed to be nerve sparing nearly 2 years on no spontaneous erections 

Over here in NZ you are on your own There is no government funding for pumps, surgeons do surgery and are not in the field of rehabilitation. There are plenty of resources like this one out there so find one that you can relate to and get into it .

I brought a cheap pump from an adult shop initially pre-RP. It has a hand pump with a separate cylinder. It worked but you need lube to help the seal and is a bit messy and not convenient. 

I looked around and did a bit of research. I ended up with a Bathmate pump to use in the shower much easier for regular exercising each day 

This is a water filled system that seals well and it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t as I am in the shower. I made a cheep sling from a piece of 6mm cord that hold it up while I am showering so it is hands free  

I do 3-4 cycles each time I have a shower

Watched a few pumping videos by the ladies in Australia and  on U tube and  they encourage Jelqing to return length back to normal or as near to normal as it is going to be .

Like others have said the pumping is to keep the penis in good health as we no longer have natural erections while sleeping. It is a muscle it needs to be exercised or it will shrink up and we will have to sit to pee

If I brought a pump again I would probably get the AliExpress model of the bath mate The adult toy shops are overpriced and all their gear comes from China anyway 

I also brought a Vacurect pump not as convenient as the Bathmate for exercising but works for play time. There only downfall is the rings are not that friendly to take off after play  

Have tried Caverject but for me it gives 3 hour erections no matter the dose. Would have been good when I was 18 but not a 55

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 09:19

My harem. 😁

Great practical post Mally.

I can see the importance of exercising the penis, but at my age, 67 years, I can't be bothered with all that faffing about.

Like you I use injections. I get immediate results. I'm a year post op. I've lost a bit of length due to the uretha being shortened. The only erections, I get are with the injections, exactly 5 a month. Touch wood, if you'll excuse the pun, I can't see any deterioration, in my penile health on this limited number of stiffies.

It frightens me reading, "If you don't pump your cock will fall off."  😱

So basically, my question is how many hard ons, do you need a month to maintain a healthy todger?

Edited by member 18 Feb 2024 at 09:54  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 16:49

Thanks I thought it would be the SomaErect Response. That is the one I was prescribed as well. However, I purchased the Vaccurect device before and had abandoned it (as I could not get to work). It is all I use now. 

Have I gained the length and girth back? My natural erection size is pitiful compared to what it once was, however the pumped up version is close enough to its former glory! I don't know if the pumped up erection length is a realistic indication  or just artificial.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 19:23

I think I've lost about an inch in length but no girth since RP. I use a Bathmate most mornings and a Somaerect when I feel in the mood, which is not as often as It was. However, having a pumped erection for me seems to reduce the sensitivity. I would say having advice on how to use the pump is really key to being successful. I've also just started on Viridal duo which is a bit hit and miss. How come I get a 75% erection on one level of jab and nothing the next time with the same amount? It is also bit scary as the shaft of my todger is now considerably reduced to what it was and jabbing the needle into the glans fills me with dread. So really the only thing left to try is an implant.😵 Not going to happen. Basically, If I don't use I'm going to lose it.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 19:40

Hi Gee-Bee

Your experience with Vacurect pump is the same as many men including myself. While I have always used SOMAerect and Primus for many years, when I came across Vacurect its compactness was appealing. It is heavily advertised in South Africa and recommended by therapists there who I understand receive a fee for recommending the pump. I decided to purchase it (expensive!) and try it out. It has no vacuum release button which can be a serious problem. I strongly advise newcomers not to purchase it. In the UK you may be able to get an NHS prescription for Somaerect which comes with soft rings.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:32

Hi Pratap, I think SomaErect vs Vaccurect debate will rage on. However, I can only go from my experience and having tried both VEDs prefer the Vaccurect VED.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:45

There is some useful  information in this link:

Preserving penis length after radical prostatectomy Harvard Health https://www.health.harvard.edu › blog › preservin

Edited by member 18 Feb 2024 at 21:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 23:03

Yup, I have seen this study. I am more curious about whether a pump can bring back lost length or not. I have seen many who report that with pumping they were able to claim back their loses or most of them but they don't explain any details (measuring technique etc.) so am not sure how reliable their reporting is. 

Due to my trust not believing in pumps I have only started regular pumping 11 months post prostatectomy.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 23:11

This is what am looking to find. I had, with a pubic bone pressed measurement, 6 inches before my surgery. Now with pumping I am at  5in 1/4 going by the measurement of the cylinder however am hoping I can get some loses back. I am trying to make into a habit to pump myself daily for 10mins. I am due to start injections in the coming months so am kinda worried of what my non pumped version result will be. I don't want to be under 5 inches. If am not happy with the injections i'll go for the implant as I will be having nothing to lose. 

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 23:18

Thanks Pratap, that’s an interesting read, it implies having good blood flow helps to keep the length. I had nerve sparing 6 months ago and get some erections, although not like before. I use the pump for sex but not rehab daily. I am currently taking Tadaladil daily for blood flow. I wonder if it would be good to take indefinitely to keep the  blood flow going, I read somewhere that 12 months is enough for the daily medication, although recovery can take up to 2 years.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 09:48

It is also bit scary as the shaft of my todger is now considerably reduced to what it was and jabbing the needle into the glans fills me with dread.

Obviously you should NEVER jab the glans!
I am very small when relaxed - I mean it resembles an acorn and can at times completely disappear but I was shown by the urologist how to pull on the glans to stretch it which encourages some limited blood flow into the shaft and after maybe a minute, there is sufficient shaft visible to inject into. Basically I target about 2cm from the base and alternate between left and right sides - the day that inject the left side is harder as I am right handed and I have felt that I made a mistake once, but no harm done.
After the first few times, you get the hang of it and it's a non-event. Just massage it after the injection to move the liquid around a bit and wait for the magic to happen.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 10:28

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23102441/

Shows that on average, a man, who's done no penile rehabilitation, after a prostatectomy, loses 10mm length.

Because I've got lots of time on my hands I've done a lot of research on the effects on the penis after prostatectomy. After 67 years, I've become rather attached to mine.

It seems, considering it's so important to men, that there has been very little research in the subject. 

The rehabilitation efficacy of pumps is rather inconclusive. I could put links to this but can't really be *rsed. 

Most research suggests that after a couple of years the average man will regain most of his penile length.

If I lose half an inch,  I can live with with that 5% reduction. 😁

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 10:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 11:51
Interesting.

I suspect that there has been little research on the subject as it's not something people should worry about. The length/size has little to do with your ability to satisfy your partner and our obsession with matching the oversized offerings in the porn industry is purely in our minds.

My wife had an ex-boyfriend when she was younger who became 'ex' because she told him that he wasn't putting that 'thing' anywhere near her. She enjoys intercourse for the pleasure, not for the pain.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 12:40

My wife had an ex-boyfriend when she was younger who became 'ex' because she told him that he wasn't putting that 'thing' anywhere near her.

Yeah, I remember it well. 😉

Only joking mate.

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 13:42  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:09

Hi Jimmy

The information about whether a vacuum pump can re-establish the length off a penis to something like it was before prostatectomy is not available. However a urethra is a flexible/extendable part of the urinary system so it is obvious that if you use a pump regularly over a few months your penis will regain at least some of the apparent loss of length. Here is my experience: I started using the NHS prescribed Somaerect about 8 weeks after my surgery; it was a messy business because I was still leaking urine! After further 4/5 weeks of practice I was able to inflate my penis up to about half way up the vacuum cylinder (4 inches) and we were able to have penetrative sex, showing that both you and wife/partner can experience orgasm even with a relatively quite short penis! Gradually over the next 4/5 months I was able to inflate my penis to about 2 inches (2/3 finger width) short of the top of the cylinder. I have just measured the length of the vacuum cylinder which is just under 8 inches. So I am able to achieve an erection about 5.5/6 inches long, which appears to be the average size of an erect penis; I always knew that I am an average sort of guy!

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 15:48

Hi Jimmy

With injections/implant what is your measured length though and how do you measure? I don't think an injected penis is as as long as pumped one. From what you are saying pumping did make a significant difference however you don't provide details. What was your pumping rehab? 10mins a day? What was your size before surgery?

Is it not established at all that the reason for penile shortening is urethra related. Many men, like me, don't have a urethra anymore so this wouldn't apply but we still end up losing length.

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 15:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 06:43

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 10:25

I love the touchy subject videos and info, Victoria has such a lovely way of describing things.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 13:17

Thanks Chris 

Same here I can vouch for the touchy subject videos on YouTube. I find the language very simple and easy to follow.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 10:18

I had non-nerve sparing radical prostatectomy back in July so I knew natural erections were going to be a thing of the past. I am not sexually active with a partner and luckily, I can achieve an orgasm fairly easily by masturbating my flaccid penis - indeed I am one of the fortunate ones who have experienced far better orgasms since surgery. I was offered help by my consultant to get erections which I declined at the time. However, following my first three month psa test, the nurse recommended using a pump to prevent atrophy. The hospital trust provided me with one for free two weeks ago and I am currently using it daily.

I knew that my penis might possibly shrink in length after surgery and lo and behold, it did. I am wondering how much length it might recover with pumping. Personally, I find it no big deal. Yes, it’s a bit messy with the lubrication but the experience is not an unpleasant one. In fact, I find it gives me a nice tingling feeling down below. I was amazed how quickly the penis grows from the first few pumps, and how, as I repeat the action several times, I am able to get bigger and bigger erections. My one attempt so far to maintain my erection was partly successful. I was left with a much enlarged penis but it was t fully erect. This may mean I need to pump it up more before sliding on the constrictor. 

One strange effect I get in the morning is that when I wake up, I y penis feels like it is erect just like it always was pre-op. However, I know this can’t be the case and when I check, it’s as flaccid as usual. I’m not sure what’s going on there - no doubt something to do with my brain.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 10:31

I get that. Cruel isn't it.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 10:35
Yes, and it gets me every time even though I know there is no way.