I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ANXIETY IS OVERWHELMING

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 03:17

I am 46 years old.  I am in the USA.  For over one year, my PSA was high but my doctor only repeated test.  Finally an MRI was performed on my prostate.  The results finally came back.  I have three PI-RAD 5 lesions.  Two are protruding into the capsule wall.  Nobody will tell me anything but we need a biopsy.  My biopsy is on Wednesday.  I’m freaking out.  This has consumed my life.  My doctor keeps telling me I need to wait for the biopsy, which seems like it is months away in my mind.  Once I do the biopsy, it will take 7-10 days to get a phone call from the doctor with the results.  The doctor keeps telling me that the clinic will take good care of me.  Of course, I am thinking she is telling me I have cancer but knows she can’t diagnose anything without a biopsy.  All these emotions are going on in my head.  I emailed some questions to her about some things she said in the office last week.  I asked about the MRI screening she saw because last week she mentioned it looked different.  Today, she said, “felt the tissue was difficult to delineate.”. I don’t even know what that word means.  Does that mean it was hard to tell.  I looked up delineate and it talked about the position of something.  Does that mean she found it difficult to determine its position?  Anyways, my anxiety is so high that I can only focus on nothing.  At the moment, I feel I am in denial.  I have 4 doctor friends, one being a radiologist, telling me to be prepared for having cancer after seeing the results of the MRI.  All 4 have told me that a benign tumor will not protrude into the wall of the capsule.  Now my urologist will not tell me anything.  She will only say that I am highly likely to have significant clinical cancer.  My radiologist friend said that means 90% or higher chance of having cancer.  I just want someone to tell me I have cancer so I can move forward and start researching on what my next steps are.  My husband says I am in denial about the whole thing.  One day I am holding to the hope that it is not cancer.  The next day I am acting as though I am dying.  I thought it was a great idea to get on Dr. Google and do my research.  BAD IDEA!!!!!  I’m not here, I am not in the present moment.  This has consumed my life.  In the past week, I have used 2 of my 10 Klonopin 1 mg to deal with the panic that I am going through.  I still have 12 days before I for sure will have some answers.  How are you dealing with this, or how did you deal with this prior to diagnosis?  I have convinced myself that if it is benign tumor would be worst issues than having the cancer.  I feel as though if I have the cancer, I will take out the prostate, have a few rounds of chemo and/or radiation, have some side effects, but move on with life.  I am driving myself crazy.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 03:17

I am 46 years old.  I am in the USA.  For over one year, my PSA was high but my doctor only repeated test.  Finally an MRI was performed on my prostate.  The results finally came back.  I have three PI-RAD 5 lesions.  Two are protruding into the capsule wall.  Nobody will tell me anything but we need a biopsy.  My biopsy is on Wednesday.  I’m freaking out.  This has consumed my life.  My doctor keeps telling me I need to wait for the biopsy, which seems like it is months away in my mind.  Once I do the biopsy, it will take 7-10 days to get a phone call from the doctor with the results.  The doctor keeps telling me that the clinic will take good care of me.  Of course, I am thinking she is telling me I have cancer but knows she can’t diagnose anything without a biopsy.  All these emotions are going on in my head.  I emailed some questions to her about some things she said in the office last week.  I asked about the MRI screening she saw because last week she mentioned it looked different.  Today, she said, “felt the tissue was difficult to delineate.”. I don’t even know what that word means.  Does that mean it was hard to tell.  I looked up delineate and it talked about the position of something.  Does that mean she found it difficult to determine its position?  Anyways, my anxiety is so high that I can only focus on nothing.  At the moment, I feel I am in denial.  I have 4 doctor friends, one being a radiologist, telling me to be prepared for having cancer after seeing the results of the MRI.  All 4 have told me that a benign tumor will not protrude into the wall of the capsule.  Now my urologist will not tell me anything.  She will only say that I am highly likely to have significant clinical cancer.  My radiologist friend said that means 90% or higher chance of having cancer.  I just want someone to tell me I have cancer so I can move forward and start researching on what my next steps are.  My husband says I am in denial about the whole thing.  One day I am holding to the hope that it is not cancer.  The next day I am acting as though I am dying.  I thought it was a great idea to get on Dr. Google and do my research.  BAD IDEA!!!!!  I’m not here, I am not in the present moment.  This has consumed my life.  In the past week, I have used 2 of my 10 Klonopin 1 mg to deal with the panic that I am going through.  I still have 12 days before I for sure will have some answers.  How are you dealing with this, or how did you deal with this prior to diagnosis?  I have convinced myself that if it is benign tumor would be worst issues than having the cancer.  I feel as though if I have the cancer, I will take out the prostate, have a few rounds of chemo and/or radiation, have some side effects, but move on with life.  I am driving myself crazy.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 10:35

Hi DJ,

Im sorry you’re having a rough time at the moment. A phrase that is often used on here is not to overthink things ATM. I cannot comment on the system in USA but what I can tell you is the waiting is always the worst for everyone diagnosed with PCa. And it’s not the end of the world if you are…there are so many treatments out there and there’s no reason why you won’t go on to have a long and happy life.

What I’ve found to help with the anxiety(as well as taking Sertraline) is to keep active and busy, do lots of things you like doing and give yourself plenty of treats. Just be kind to yourself and don’t beat yourself up about how you’re feeling. Also try and find if you have any local support Groups you can go to and talk to others in the same boat as you…it really does help as they just GET IT! In the UK we have these charity Maggies(here I go again😊) who have been instrumental in helping me come to terms with this disease. We have weekly Mens Cancer Support  and monthly PCa Networking group and both have been a godsend to me.

Good luck with your journey.

Derek

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 12:51

Hi DJ

Just like the others above, I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through. On this website there is huge knowledge and first-hand experience of PCA and a very useful search function. Unfortunately for me I didn't discover this website until I was the other side of peak anxiety & stress. I used google, which made my mental state 10 x worse ! I believe it's called Doom Scrolling. I'm calm now. I've been diagnosed and have a treatment plan. So will you. But the time between now and then is horrendous mentally.

My PSA was 71 and MRI PIRADS 5. Although the only way to definatively diagnose Pca is with a Biopsy, with those scores, I knew I had it. Whilst waiting for the biopsy results, I didn't go into denial. Quite the opposite. I thought I was virtually dead. I thought about my family and planned my exit from this world, making sure they'd be ok. Both of those approaches (denial / death planning) are absolutely ridiculous. 

Prostate cancer is one of the slowest growing cancers. It's very treatable, and very curative if not gone too far. So whatever your diagnosis, you'll be around for many, many years to come.

I know it's pointless me saying this but I'm going to anyway.....try not to worry !

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 11:30

Hi DJ,

I'm sorry about your predicament. I'm sorry that you've had to find us, but glad that you have. No matter what your biopsy reveals, there will be lots of folk on here to help and support you.

What you are feeling is common mate. Most of us can empathise with you regarding the anxiety this disease can cause. Try and take one step at a time. That way, you'll be better in control of the disease; rather than allowing it to be in control of you.

Keep us posted and best of luck.

Adrian

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 23:22
So sorry you have found yourself in this club.

With PIRAD 5 lesions, you have to accept that, bar a miracle, you have prostate cancer.

However, that does not mean you are dying.

Hopefully the biopsy will show a low grade type cancer (low Gleason)

After the biopsy, you probably will have a PSMA scan to see if there is any spread outside of the prostate.

It is generally after this that your treatment options become clearer.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 10:35

Hi DJ,

Im sorry you’re having a rough time at the moment. A phrase that is often used on here is not to overthink things ATM. I cannot comment on the system in USA but what I can tell you is the waiting is always the worst for everyone diagnosed with PCa. And it’s not the end of the world if you are…there are so many treatments out there and there’s no reason why you won’t go on to have a long and happy life.

What I’ve found to help with the anxiety(as well as taking Sertraline) is to keep active and busy, do lots of things you like doing and give yourself plenty of treats. Just be kind to yourself and don’t beat yourself up about how you’re feeling. Also try and find if you have any local support Groups you can go to and talk to others in the same boat as you…it really does help as they just GET IT! In the UK we have these charity Maggies(here I go again😊) who have been instrumental in helping me come to terms with this disease. We have weekly Mens Cancer Support  and monthly PCa Networking group and both have been a godsend to me.

Good luck with your journey.

Derek

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 11:30

Hi DJ,

I'm sorry about your predicament. I'm sorry that you've had to find us, but glad that you have. No matter what your biopsy reveals, there will be lots of folk on here to help and support you.

What you are feeling is common mate. Most of us can empathise with you regarding the anxiety this disease can cause. Try and take one step at a time. That way, you'll be better in control of the disease; rather than allowing it to be in control of you.

Keep us posted and best of luck.

Adrian

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 12:51

Hi DJ

Just like the others above, I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through. On this website there is huge knowledge and first-hand experience of PCA and a very useful search function. Unfortunately for me I didn't discover this website until I was the other side of peak anxiety & stress. I used google, which made my mental state 10 x worse ! I believe it's called Doom Scrolling. I'm calm now. I've been diagnosed and have a treatment plan. So will you. But the time between now and then is horrendous mentally.

My PSA was 71 and MRI PIRADS 5. Although the only way to definatively diagnose Pca is with a Biopsy, with those scores, I knew I had it. Whilst waiting for the biopsy results, I didn't go into denial. Quite the opposite. I thought I was virtually dead. I thought about my family and planned my exit from this world, making sure they'd be ok. Both of those approaches (denial / death planning) are absolutely ridiculous. 

Prostate cancer is one of the slowest growing cancers. It's very treatable, and very curative if not gone too far. So whatever your diagnosis, you'll be around for many, many years to come.

I know it's pointless me saying this but I'm going to anyway.....try not to worry !

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 23:22
So sorry you have found yourself in this club.

With PIRAD 5 lesions, you have to accept that, bar a miracle, you have prostate cancer.

However, that does not mean you are dying.

Hopefully the biopsy will show a low grade type cancer (low Gleason)

After the biopsy, you probably will have a PSMA scan to see if there is any spread outside of the prostate.

It is generally after this that your treatment options become clearer.