Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Father diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer at 50

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 07:52

Hi guys,

my father was diagnosed with T4 M1 N1 prostate cancer spread to the bones and a bit to lungs. He was otherwise a healthy 50 years old man. Without any symptoms until month ago when he got strong back pain. His PSA is 500. I know the prognosis is poor, but I read some encouraging stories here to live several years even with that kind of diagnosis.

The doctor said it could be some genetic thing (he couldn't know it because his father died very young because of accident and brother aswell because of covid) going on here. So I have few questions:

- if  he has some genes, that leads to this kind of agressive cancer, there is possibility that me and my brother have it aswell. I know that if we have it, they will be screening us all the time and checking if everything is normal, but still: if we got it, will it be agressive form or can be normal form (slow growing). If they get it at early stage, even agressive form, is prognosis good?

- what are some good signs of good threatment, that we could look, to be optimistic for father's health?

Thanks all.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 07:52

Hi guys,

my father was diagnosed with T4 M1 N1 prostate cancer spread to the bones and a bit to lungs. He was otherwise a healthy 50 years old man. Without any symptoms until month ago when he got strong back pain. His PSA is 500. I know the prognosis is poor, but I read some encouraging stories here to live several years even with that kind of diagnosis.

The doctor said it could be some genetic thing (he couldn't know it because his father died very young because of accident and brother aswell because of covid) going on here. So I have few questions:

- if  he has some genes, that leads to this kind of agressive cancer, there is possibility that me and my brother have it aswell. I know that if we have it, they will be screening us all the time and checking if everything is normal, but still: if we got it, will it be agressive form or can be normal form (slow growing). If they get it at early stage, even agressive form, is prognosis good?

- what are some good signs of good threatment, that we could look, to be optimistic for father's health?

Thanks all.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 17:19

Hello. Dh has the brca2 gene. We found out because his daughter had breast cancer at a young age. So they screened her, she was positive, so dh was tested too (hers was caught early and she’s fine) We had no idea dh carried the gene when he was first diagnosed 9 years ago. He had brachytherapy for a Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Gleason 6 being a slow growing cancer. His psa remained very low for many years. We have now found out he has prostate cancer in his lymph nodes. There is no cancer in his prostate so the original treatment worked. However at some point it went into his nodes. The fact that there is no cancer in his prostate now means it was in the nodes from before his first treatment. So it can’t have been an aggressive form to have remained there all these years with very low psa. At some point it has woken up and started to spread further.

Now that we know dh has the gene mutation his treatment will be different. He is on the same hormone therapy as any other man with the same diagnosis, eventually the drugs will stop working, they do for all men, apparently there is nothing to say the time until the drugs stop working is any different to that of a man without the gene mutation. But, we have been told chemo doesn’t work for those with the gene. So he’s not being offered that. There is another drug called a PARP inhibitor that he can take once the hormone therapy stops working. This drug is only for those with gene mutations. So there are options. 

I don’t think the gene mutation means the cancer will definitely be aggressive. But it can be. It also doesn’t mean that others with the gene will definitely get cancer. Any children who have a parent with a gene mutation are 50% likely to inherit the gene. DH’s has 5 children. 3 with me, 2 from a previous marriage. His daughter has the gene, his oldest son won’t get the test. My 3 boys want the test done when they are older. 

I hope that answers some questions on the gene mutations. 

As for your father. There are men on here that have lived many years with a similar diagnosis. No one can tell how each person with react to treatment. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 17:19

Hello. Dh has the brca2 gene. We found out because his daughter had breast cancer at a young age. So they screened her, she was positive, so dh was tested too (hers was caught early and she’s fine) We had no idea dh carried the gene when he was first diagnosed 9 years ago. He had brachytherapy for a Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Gleason 6 being a slow growing cancer. His psa remained very low for many years. We have now found out he has prostate cancer in his lymph nodes. There is no cancer in his prostate so the original treatment worked. However at some point it went into his nodes. The fact that there is no cancer in his prostate now means it was in the nodes from before his first treatment. So it can’t have been an aggressive form to have remained there all these years with very low psa. At some point it has woken up and started to spread further.

Now that we know dh has the gene mutation his treatment will be different. He is on the same hormone therapy as any other man with the same diagnosis, eventually the drugs will stop working, they do for all men, apparently there is nothing to say the time until the drugs stop working is any different to that of a man without the gene mutation. But, we have been told chemo doesn’t work for those with the gene. So he’s not being offered that. There is another drug called a PARP inhibitor that he can take once the hormone therapy stops working. This drug is only for those with gene mutations. So there are options. 

I don’t think the gene mutation means the cancer will definitely be aggressive. But it can be. It also doesn’t mean that others with the gene will definitely get cancer. Any children who have a parent with a gene mutation are 50% likely to inherit the gene. DH’s has 5 children. 3 with me, 2 from a previous marriage. His daughter has the gene, his oldest son won’t get the test. My 3 boys want the test done when they are older. 

I hope that answers some questions on the gene mutations. 

As for your father. There are men on here that have lived many years with a similar diagnosis. No one can tell how each person with react to treatment.