I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

high blood pressure question

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 17:47

can u have the brachytherapy treatment with high blood pressure . my partner is due the high dose brachytherapy on the 28th of Feb however when he went to his pre assessment they said his blood pressure was to high but thought it may be due to being anxious.  so to go to the doctors to get it checked again before his op  the person at the hospital  taking it said  it wouldn't be a problem they just want to know a base level but on the letter they gave us to give to the doctor it says it has to be under 160 now dont know what to think . the docs said to take it at home for a few days to get a average his blood pressure  and it has been from 149 to 180 . has anyone had experience of this . hes worried now they not going to be able to do it due to high blood pressure .  thank you 

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:27

My urologist also said something similar in that he would not recommend a prostatectomy or brachytherapy due to my heart problems. My cardiologist said just the opposite and his view is the other teams just say this to protect themselves as they don't want to take any blame for an incident.

Ultimately its our choice to weigh up the options, but these kind of responses can muddy the waters.

Funny how I had general anaesthesia when I nearly severed my finger and no-one raised any concerns then.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 17:47

can u have the brachytherapy treatment with high blood pressure . my partner is due the high dose brachytherapy on the 28th of Feb however when he went to his pre assessment they said his blood pressure was to high but thought it may be due to being anxious.  so to go to the doctors to get it checked again before his op  the person at the hospital  taking it said  it wouldn't be a problem they just want to know a base level but on the letter they gave us to give to the doctor it says it has to be under 160 now dont know what to think . the docs said to take it at home for a few days to get a average his blood pressure  and it has been from 149 to 180 . has anyone had experience of this . hes worried now they not going to be able to do it due to high blood pressure .  thank you 

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 18:24

Not with brachytherapy. I had a lot of faffing about regarding my suitability for a prostatectomy, due to a heart condition. The anaesthetist had concerns that the old ticker wouldn't be up to the op, claiming it would exert as much stress as running a marathon.

I thought, if that was the case, very few people would ever be deemed fit enough for surgery. I took it up with my cardiology consultant who deemed I was fit enough and I had the op without any problems.

I suppose they've got to be ultra careful to protect themselves.

Good luck, I hope the procedure goes ahead.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 19:34  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 19:35

Same happened to me - I sometimes have white coat syndrome.

Went to see my GP who said just double your blood pressure meds - you just need to get through the operation.

Actually, I had to come off blood pressure meds for a week afterwards as it went too low, although this is an effect general anesthetics seem to have on me.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 20:29

I think mine was about 180 on the day of the HDR, normally it is about 140. No problem with the procedure but they kept monitoring my BP every 4 hours, so I didn't get much sleep that night.

Dave

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 15:04

Hi 

I was on blood pressure tablets when i had Brachytherapy in 2016 Amlodipine 10 mg once a day and i don't remember being asked about it at the time.

John.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 17:22
I had mine last year and I take BP tablets daily - the hospital just ran an ECG a week before and kept me off the tablets on the day of the op and gave them to me the day after. No issues.
User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 10:08

Hi, 

When I went for my HDR brachytherapy my blood pressure reading was 230! They thought that the machine was broken, but further readings kept showing well over 200. They did go ahead with the procedure, happy that my previous readings (a baseline) were within normal range, 

Good luck, you will be fine.

Spongebob

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 19:53

thanks he has covid as well anyway so had to delay due to that as well .   his baseline has been 150 160 bp at home so  they have put him on blood pressure tablets to lower it and op been delayed for 6 to 8 week . Next time we be ready 😆  

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 18:24

Not with brachytherapy. I had a lot of faffing about regarding my suitability for a prostatectomy, due to a heart condition. The anaesthetist had concerns that the old ticker wouldn't be up to the op, claiming it would exert as much stress as running a marathon.

I thought, if that was the case, very few people would ever be deemed fit enough for surgery. I took it up with my cardiology consultant who deemed I was fit enough and I had the op without any problems.

I suppose they've got to be ultra careful to protect themselves.

Good luck, I hope the procedure goes ahead.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 19:34  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 18:36

thank you his ecg was normal just confused as the letter said different then what the  person said doing it .  

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 19:35

Same happened to me - I sometimes have white coat syndrome.

Went to see my GP who said just double your blood pressure meds - you just need to get through the operation.

Actually, I had to come off blood pressure meds for a week afterwards as it went too low, although this is an effect general anesthetics seem to have on me.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2024 at 20:29

I think mine was about 180 on the day of the HDR, normally it is about 140. No problem with the procedure but they kept monitoring my BP every 4 hours, so I didn't get much sleep that night.

Dave

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 15:04

Hi 

I was on blood pressure tablets when i had Brachytherapy in 2016 Amlodipine 10 mg once a day and i don't remember being asked about it at the time.

John.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:27

My urologist also said something similar in that he would not recommend a prostatectomy or brachytherapy due to my heart problems. My cardiologist said just the opposite and his view is the other teams just say this to protect themselves as they don't want to take any blame for an incident.

Ultimately its our choice to weigh up the options, but these kind of responses can muddy the waters.

Funny how I had general anaesthesia when I nearly severed my finger and no-one raised any concerns then.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 14:15

thanks everyone  

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 17:22
I had mine last year and I take BP tablets daily - the hospital just ran an ECG a week before and kept me off the tablets on the day of the op and gave them to me the day after. No issues.
User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 15:46

so after all that we got covid and they was unable to do the op due to that but his blood pressure also to high at 200 and odd. 160 at home so put him on blood pressure tabs so hopefully next time be prepared lol . 6 to 8 week  

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 10:08

Hi, 

When I went for my HDR brachytherapy my blood pressure reading was 230! They thought that the machine was broken, but further readings kept showing well over 200. They did go ahead with the procedure, happy that my previous readings (a baseline) were within normal range, 

Good luck, you will be fine.

Spongebob

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 19:53

thanks he has covid as well anyway so had to delay due to that as well .   his baseline has been 150 160 bp at home so  they have put him on blood pressure tablets to lower it and op been delayed for 6 to 8 week . Next time we be ready 😆