Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Regaining full bladder control

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 12:22

Hi everyone,

I had my operation on the 9th February at Addenbrookes Hosptial and all went well.   I returned a week later to have the catheter removed which was a relief.  I’m using pads and I’ve started to go for normal wee’s but get very little warning.  I know we are all different in terms of recovery but my question is this.   Generally speaking, how long does it take to regain full bladder control?  
Thanks I’m advance .   

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 21:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 13:51
I had my RP in May 23 and was about 95% after 4-5 months with just a slight dribble 2-3 times a day. A pad a day was all I needed. When I met the urologist and realised that I would probably need SRT she recommended (and prescribed) a series of appointments with a pelvic floor physiotherapist.

I meet with her once a week and it involves inserting a probe into my rectum which, for 15 minutes, sends electrical signals to make the pelvic floor muscles contract. She then switches it to 'bio feedback' and I have to tighten the same muscles to make a pointer on a screen follow various curves which stimulate contractions and holding various tensions of the muscles steady.

After 5 sessions it is really helping and I am no longer wearing a pad around the house - just when I go out 'just in case'.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 12:22

Hi everyone,

I had my operation on the 9th February at Addenbrookes Hosptial and all went well.   I returned a week later to have the catheter removed which was a relief.  I’m using pads and I’ve started to go for normal wee’s but get very little warning.  I know we are all different in terms of recovery but my question is this.   Generally speaking, how long does it take to regain full bladder control?  
Thanks I’m advance .   

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 21:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 13:31

As you say everyone is different. Depends on how extensive the surgery is. Sadly some never regain bladder control.

Pelvic floor - I was told 6 times a day. I used the squeezey app to guide me. You have lost a set of muscles so you have to train the others to work harder.

As for me I consider myself lucky. I had bladder control within a month of catheter removal. However if I need to go then I definitely cannot hold it as good as I used to.n

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Generally speaking,img how long does it take to regain full bladder control?  
Thanks I’m advance . 

Hi David. I've read your bio, I'm ex Old Bill too. I thought with your sapper username that you were ex Royal Engineers.

I had RARP a year ago. Initially I had quite bad incontinence issues. I was told by my CNS that on average it took about 6 months to regain bladder control. I was dry in about five months. I was lucky from the outset. I was dry all through the night.

Best of luck mate, you will improve.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 14:18  | Reason: Additional text.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 13:31

As you say everyone is different. Depends on how extensive the surgery is. Sadly some never regain bladder control.

Pelvic floor - I was told 6 times a day. I used the squeezey app to guide me. You have lost a set of muscles so you have to train the others to work harder.

As for me I consider myself lucky. I had bladder control within a month of catheter removal. However if I need to go then I definitely cannot hold it as good as I used to.n

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 13:51
I had my RP in May 23 and was about 95% after 4-5 months with just a slight dribble 2-3 times a day. A pad a day was all I needed. When I met the urologist and realised that I would probably need SRT she recommended (and prescribed) a series of appointments with a pelvic floor physiotherapist.

I meet with her once a week and it involves inserting a probe into my rectum which, for 15 minutes, sends electrical signals to make the pelvic floor muscles contract. She then switches it to 'bio feedback' and I have to tighten the same muscles to make a pointer on a screen follow various curves which stimulate contractions and holding various tensions of the muscles steady.

After 5 sessions it is really helping and I am no longer wearing a pad around the house - just when I go out 'just in case'.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Generally speaking,img how long does it take to regain full bladder control?  
Thanks I’m advance . 

Hi David. I've read your bio, I'm ex Old Bill too. I thought with your sapper username that you were ex Royal Engineers.

I had RARP a year ago. Initially I had quite bad incontinence issues. I was told by my CNS that on average it took about 6 months to regain bladder control. I was dry in about five months. I was lucky from the outset. I was dry all through the night.

Best of luck mate, you will improve.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 14:18  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 15:36

Hi.  I’m actually both.  Left the RE to join Police.  Now fully retired.  Thank you for your note.   Much appreciated.  I think my problem is I’m expecting too much too soon.  

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 15:51

I was RMP in Osnabruck 1975 -1978, the Engineers were with us in Roberts Barracks. Joined the civvy police, 3 days after leaving the Army.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 15:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 16:23

I was at Robert’s Baracks lates 70’s- early 80’s before coming back to the UK and eventually to PVR in 85 to join Cambs Police.   Small world.