I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Age 91 and two lymph nodes discovered in lower pelvis.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:23

Hi Everyone...My first post.......Was diagnosed with prostrate problems about six years ago..told it was probably slow growing cancer.Then recently had a scan for something totally unrelated and they found two swollen lymph nodes at the bottom of my pelvis..started hormone treatment a couple of days ago with Bicalutamide tablets and just got a call to go for three monthly injections in my stomach.

I am just wondering what can I expect to happen when treatment starts...have read so many stories from sweats, nausea etc., to no side effects what-so-ever.

Would welcome any advice that comes my way...thanks.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:23

Hi Everyone...My first post.......Was diagnosed with prostrate problems about six years ago..told it was probably slow growing cancer.Then recently had a scan for something totally unrelated and they found two swollen lymph nodes at the bottom of my pelvis..started hormone treatment a couple of days ago with Bicalutamide tablets and just got a call to go for three monthly injections in my stomach.

I am just wondering what can I expect to happen when treatment starts...have read so many stories from sweats, nausea etc., to no side effects what-so-ever.

Would welcome any advice that comes my way...thanks.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 07:43

Hi Tommac,

Welcome to the forum I suspect you'll be one of our eldest contributors.

My late father was diagnosed with prostate cancer when he was in his late seventies. I'm ashamed to that I didn't know what his exact cancer staging was, but with hindsight now believe it must have been pretty bad.

He was having the same treatment that you have described. He soldiered on for at least another ten years, relatively normally.

About a month or two prior to him passing away. He complained of his left leg 'playing him up'

I took him to his GP who contacted his urologist and the following week I took him for a bone scan. It was only at this stage that I realised how extensive his disease had been. The next morning I was contacted and told under no circumstances  should I transport him again  because his bones were so badly effected.

I never thought of my dad as a particularly strong guy, but I now know what a brave fella he was. He has posthumously become my hero.

Edited by member 22 Feb 2024 at 08:33  | Reason: Additional text

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 00:19
Hi Tommac, you may find you have very few side effects. The side effects are almost all due to the loss of testosterone but at 91 years old, you probably have very low testosterone anyway.

Ask if you can have the one month dose for the first injection, just to see how you get on with it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 07:43

Hi Tommac,

Welcome to the forum I suspect you'll be one of our eldest contributors.

My late father was diagnosed with prostate cancer when he was in his late seventies. I'm ashamed to that I didn't know what his exact cancer staging was, but with hindsight now believe it must have been pretty bad.

He was having the same treatment that you have described. He soldiered on for at least another ten years, relatively normally.

About a month or two prior to him passing away. He complained of his left leg 'playing him up'

I took him to his GP who contacted his urologist and the following week I took him for a bone scan. It was only at this stage that I realised how extensive his disease had been. The next morning I was contacted and told under no circumstances  should I transport him again  because his bones were so badly effected.

I never thought of my dad as a particularly strong guy, but I now know what a brave fella he was. He has posthumously become my hero.

Edited by member 22 Feb 2024 at 08:33  | Reason: Additional text