I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

panicking illness

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 00:53

hi sorry me again.  my partner is due brachytherapy on Wednesday how ever I have come down with a bad case of flu not just a cold. I'm his partner  if he catches it will they still be able to do it still  does anyone know?  that's if he's even up to it . I'm in spare room amd keeping my distance so I'm praying he dosnt catch it . anyone experience anything simular please .  he's been really anxious and just wanting to get it over with I feel so bad that this may mess it all up after waiting so long . 

Edited by member 26 Feb 2024 at 08:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 10:28

Hi i can't help on the cold side but i did have Brachytherapy in 2016 and it is very easy operation to have.

I was taken into Mount Vernon on a Sunday by my wife and daughter and put in a room on my own as the operation is putting radioactive seeds into you and you need to stay away from women and babies of a while.

The only real problem i had is that they could not find my notes, so a doctor went through all my details with me and hoped the notes would turn up in the morning .It was lunch time on the Monday and i was given some pre meds and wheeled across the car park to the operating theatre was given a needle in the back of my hand,My surgeon had found the notes and the next thing i remember was waking up and being offered a cup of tea.

I was wheeled across the car park again back to my room given a couple of pain killers and some other pills and that was it.I was ok to have food and was given a bottle to wee into that they had to check for any lost seeds.

I was told that as soon as i could pass water ok i could go home,I used 16 bottles that where left on the window sill till the next day when i was allowed home.I walked to the car a little sore but no real problem.

Don't worry about the operation ,good luck.If i can answer any more question please ask.

John,

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 07:17

Never feel sorry for posting, it's what we're here for.

Has he got over his blood pressure issues?

I haven't a clue what brachytherapy involves. I had surgery. Having been cancelled on the day of the op twice previously, I wouldn't have let anything stop me on the third occasion. It's awful to have to wait to be rescheduled and psych yourself up for treatment again.

Hopefully, with only a couple of days to go, he'll be fit enough.

Best of luck.

Edited by member 26 Feb 2024 at 08:31  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 08:20

Hi 1982

As Adrian says never, ever feel sorry for posting …this site here is for everyone and is a fantastic support. Try not to panic(easier said than done I know!), keep your distance, maybe wear a mask and use gel(you’ll probably have loads left from covid!)  and have plenty of fresh air in the house. I’m sure you’re doing all these things already so try and do things to keep your mind off it. If 8n doubt phone your CNS for advice?

Good luck and I’m sure it will be ok💪

Derek

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 11:57

That's really helpful thank you. hopefully it will go ahead 🤞

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 07:17

Never feel sorry for posting, it's what we're here for.

Has he got over his blood pressure issues?

I haven't a clue what brachytherapy involves. I had surgery. Having been cancelled on the day of the op twice previously, I wouldn't have let anything stop me on the third occasion. It's awful to have to wait to be rescheduled and psych yourself up for treatment again.

Hopefully, with only a couple of days to go, he'll be fit enough.

Best of luck.

Edited by member 26 Feb 2024 at 08:31  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 08:19

its lower then it was but still high at 155 158.  

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 08:20

Hi 1982

As Adrian says never, ever feel sorry for posting …this site here is for everyone and is a fantastic support. Try not to panic(easier said than done I know!), keep your distance, maybe wear a mask and use gel(you’ll probably have loads left from covid!)  and have plenty of fresh air in the house. I’m sure you’re doing all these things already so try and do things to keep your mind off it. If 8n doubt phone your CNS for advice?

Good luck and I’m sure it will be ok💪

Derek

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 10:28

Hi i can't help on the cold side but i did have Brachytherapy in 2016 and it is very easy operation to have.

I was taken into Mount Vernon on a Sunday by my wife and daughter and put in a room on my own as the operation is putting radioactive seeds into you and you need to stay away from women and babies of a while.

The only real problem i had is that they could not find my notes, so a doctor went through all my details with me and hoped the notes would turn up in the morning .It was lunch time on the Monday and i was given some pre meds and wheeled across the car park to the operating theatre was given a needle in the back of my hand,My surgeon had found the notes and the next thing i remember was waking up and being offered a cup of tea.

I was wheeled across the car park again back to my room given a couple of pain killers and some other pills and that was it.I was ok to have food and was given a bottle to wee into that they had to check for any lost seeds.

I was told that as soon as i could pass water ok i could go home,I used 16 bottles that where left on the window sill till the next day when i was allowed home.I walked to the car a little sore but no real problem.

Don't worry about the operation ,good luck.If i can answer any more question please ask.

John,

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 11:57

That's really helpful thank you. hopefully it will go ahead 🤞

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 17:42

nothing is ever straight forward . he's been to doctors today and they saying his blood pressure is to high  . the person at the hospital who did his pre assessment said it didnt matter they just wanted a base level to bring it back up to after op  .  so now he got a appointment on the 12 march (nearest available) to see pharmacist about blood pressure tablets .  so now dont know if op still going ahead or not he's gonna ring mcmillan nurse hopefully get somewhere 

Edited by member 26 Feb 2024 at 17:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 18:26
Hi there. I had brachytherapy at the tail end of 2022. Historically I have had great problems with my blood pressure all my life and I am on medication. I also suffer from ‘white coat syndrome’ and every year when I was working I had to have a medical which sometimes gave interesting readings ( no medical certificate no job )

If you have not got one already I would advise your partner buys a blood pressure monitor and take a note of the readings. I took the readings in groups of three and then plotted the average. I did this three times a day. During one of my pre ops my bp was high and I showed them my home readings which the doctor said was very useful.

I thought my biopsy was going to get cancelled because my bp was 200/something ( the nurse asked if I was worried about anything, let me think🤔). The nurse was very good and we practiced some breathing exercises and my readings were o.k for me, not necessarily for anyone ‘normal’.

As for the brachytherapy procedure itself it was very straight forward. As has been mentioned there are a few things you cannot do for three months and I still can’t get cremated until August ( not that I am planning to! ) which is over 18months from my procedure. I just got my latest blood test today 15 months after my treatment, and my PSA is now 0.3 ( originally it was 8.6 ).

If you click on my avatar you will a more in depth account of my journey.

I hope it all works out.

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 18:38

he does have a blood pressure machine so hes done it 5 times at home to get a average its been 149 to 163 . he is heathy hes bout a half a stone overweight so nothing massive well based on bmi and he was a regular gym user before he started hormone treatment he still exercises just not as much now. he is anxious anyway before all this about doctors hospitals etc  and obviously all the stress had made him more anxious. its just the hospital and the gp don't seem to talk to each other the nurse didn't even know what it was for . I thought if  blood pressure was still to  high get him on tablets now hopefully be ok for operation not for 2 weeks times just to get the tablets  then she said they will monitor it . his ops on Wednesday theys no urgency.