I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Contraindications

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 12:22

I am recently diagnosed T3a prostate cancer. Started on Bicalutamide tablets just over a week ago.

I enjoy real ales and find that a few beers in the evening helps to calm me down.

Can I drink a few beers while I'm on the hormone therapy?

I spoke about this with my consultant and support nurse. Both said it is ok to drink whilst on the therapy but I'm still not sure.

Does anyone on here know of any contraindications in this respect?

Any advice or support would be very gratefully received.

Cheers (in anticipation)

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 13:03

Hello mate welcome to the forum. Sorry that you've had to find us, but I'm glad you have.

I was T3a but had prostatectomy, however I was on Bical for two months prior to the op. 

I've always liked a few pints and cancer hasn't stop me from drinking. In fact the other day I caught the train to town and over 5 hours had a gallon of mild.  Managed to get a train home and get off at the right stop. 

I was in the pub four days after the op, with a catheter. I love a bevvy and NOTHING will stop me. 

I'll put a link to a thread I did on drinking with this disease.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30229-Drinky-poos

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 13:50

Hello Adrian56,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Good to meet you too if under rather unexpected circumstances.

I like having a few pints...usually real ales of strength anywhere between 3.6 - 4.3%, and on occasions, a few craft ales of a stronger nature!!!!

I read your link with interest and it would seem, from the comments, that there doesn't seem to be any contraindications between beer and Bical. It's good to know that others on here also enjoy a few bevvies.

Think I'll crack on then until it's time for the RT to start and re-assess the situation at that time. Again, my support nurse said to avoid alcohol during the RT fractions but weekend beers could provide a little bit of downtime 🤔

Cheers

John

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 15:38

Trom, I was either told not drink alcohol during the six months taking 150mg of bicalutamide or I read it. Just checking the patient leaflet it says nothing about how to take it and no advice about taking it with or without food.

Google it and you will find it says not drinking alcohol or coffee will help reduce hot flushes. My alcohol intake has been low for many years but I drink around 5 cups of black coffee a day. I didn't get any hot flushes and my slight man boobs reduced once the bicalutamide got out of my system. I did get sore and lumpy nipples, I still have some nipple tissue but no soreness.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 19:07

I was never told to avoid alcohol while I was on 150 mg of Bical for 6 months during salvage radiotherapy. I drunk alcohol as normal (probably around 12 units per week). There was nothing to suggest the Bical was not doing its job. PSA went to undetectable quite quickly.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 19:31

Hi Trom24,

Welcome to the Pub Club!🤣🤣🤣

You don’t say what your primary treatment is? Are you having RT and HT or an RP? if you’re going on HT and RT route presumably you’re only on Bicalutamide for 28 days and then starting HT injections with RT to follow at some time llater. If this is the case then having a wee drink during HT might help keep you sane, it certainly does for me…and I don’t think it makes any difference to my flushes. You might need to cut pack during your RT just Togo easy on your bladder and bowels but the Radiographers will keep you right.

Good luck!

Derek

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 20:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The caveat being that beer also increases prolactin levels so you may develop "moobs"

That'll explain why I make  tit of myself when I've had too many? 

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 10:50

Thanks Derek.

My choice is to go down the HT/RT route. I'm in my second week of Bicalutamide and anticipating my first HT injection sometime early next week. RT to follow later.

Having a drink or two certainly does keep me sane, as you said. I'm not having any side effects as yet but I'm sure they will come as time goes on.

Cheers

John

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 13:03

Hello mate welcome to the forum. Sorry that you've had to find us, but I'm glad you have.

I was T3a but had prostatectomy, however I was on Bical for two months prior to the op. 

I've always liked a few pints and cancer hasn't stop me from drinking. In fact the other day I caught the train to town and over 5 hours had a gallon of mild.  Managed to get a train home and get off at the right stop. 

I was in the pub four days after the op, with a catheter. I love a bevvy and NOTHING will stop me. 

I'll put a link to a thread I did on drinking with this disease.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30229-Drinky-poos

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 13:50

Hello Adrian56,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Good to meet you too if under rather unexpected circumstances.

I like having a few pints...usually real ales of strength anywhere between 3.6 - 4.3%, and on occasions, a few craft ales of a stronger nature!!!!

I read your link with interest and it would seem, from the comments, that there doesn't seem to be any contraindications between beer and Bical. It's good to know that others on here also enjoy a few bevvies.

Think I'll crack on then until it's time for the RT to start and re-assess the situation at that time. Again, my support nurse said to avoid alcohol during the RT fractions but weekend beers could provide a little bit of downtime 🤔

Cheers

John

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 15:38

Trom, I was either told not drink alcohol during the six months taking 150mg of bicalutamide or I read it. Just checking the patient leaflet it says nothing about how to take it and no advice about taking it with or without food.

Google it and you will find it says not drinking alcohol or coffee will help reduce hot flushes. My alcohol intake has been low for many years but I drink around 5 cups of black coffee a day. I didn't get any hot flushes and my slight man boobs reduced once the bicalutamide got out of my system. I did get sore and lumpy nipples, I still have some nipple tissue but no soreness.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 17:41

Thanks Chris.

I've also read the Bicalutamide patient leaflet (I'm on 50mg for 28 days) top to bottom several times. It does say that the tablets can be taken with or without food but, as you said, there is no advice that I can see as to what should be avoided regarding food and drink.

Yes, I've also checked several references on Google which seem to refer mostly to the impact on certain side effects i.e. hot flushes.

There seems to be no mention of contraindications with how effective Bical works, or not 🤔

Regards

John

Edited by member 26 Feb 2024 at 17:42  | Reason: Unfinished sentence

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 19:07

I was never told to avoid alcohol while I was on 150 mg of Bical for 6 months during salvage radiotherapy. I drunk alcohol as normal (probably around 12 units per week). There was nothing to suggest the Bical was not doing its job. PSA went to undetectable quite quickly.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 19:31

Hi Trom24,

Welcome to the Pub Club!🤣🤣🤣

You don’t say what your primary treatment is? Are you having RT and HT or an RP? if you’re going on HT and RT route presumably you’re only on Bicalutamide for 28 days and then starting HT injections with RT to follow at some time llater. If this is the case then having a wee drink during HT might help keep you sane, it certainly does for me…and I don’t think it makes any difference to my flushes. You might need to cut pack during your RT just Togo easy on your bladder and bowels but the Radiographers will keep you right.

Good luck!

Derek

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 19:38

Beer increases estrogen which is good if you are on ADT 

However beer also increases prolactin which doesn't look to be good for prostate cancer 

Edited by member 26 Feb 2024 at 20:15  | Reason: Changed post after doing more research into subject

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 20:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The caveat being that beer also increases prolactin levels so you may develop "moobs"

That'll explain why I make  tit of myself when I've had too many? 

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 10:50

Thanks Derek.

My choice is to go down the HT/RT route. I'm in my second week of Bicalutamide and anticipating my first HT injection sometime early next week. RT to follow later.

Having a drink or two certainly does keep me sane, as you said. I'm not having any side effects as yet but I'm sure they will come as time goes on.

Cheers

John