Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy bowel preparation question

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 07:32

Hi again

I'm soon to start RT and have a genuine question. Do you have to use a mini enema prior to every session even though you may have already emptied your bowel previously?

Not a pleasant subject I know but......

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 09:57

Atlas, I used the mini enema every day. My appointments were at different times. I just used the enema something around three hours before my appointment time. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 10:22
Your hospital will tell you if you need to use mini-enemas - some hospitals use them for all, some hospitals don't use them and some hospitals only give them to men who are not managing to empty their bowel consistently.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 11:32
Hi Atlas,

I was told to use them by the Radiologist, even if I had emptied my bowels that morning.

They wanted to make sure there was nothing left at all!!!

First time I have ever had to use an enema, and I was rather anxious, but was not a problem at all.

Chris

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 18:44

Hi Atlas,

Yes, a delightful game isn’t it. I’ve just completed my 20 sessions of EBRT. Each at a different time but mainly in the mornings. The routine was first Do the enema then hold on for as long as you can within 45 minutes and then go poo. Then, report yourself ready to start drinking a bottle of water. Drink the bottle within 15 mins then wait 30 mins for the treatment start time. RT treatment itself takes just a couple of mins but you need to wear one of those riddiculous backless hospital gowns 😬.  
I’ve got to say that most days I didn’t see the point of the enema. I start most mornings with a good old fashioned dump so there’s nothing stacked up waiting to come out. I just viewed it as a necessary part of the game and got used to it, I’ve long since accepted that there’s no joy in any part of the disease and treatments.

You will be fine. Remember to take a book.

Good luck

Spongebob

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 18:46
As mentioned above depends on the procedure followed by your hospital. For me, ar Clatterbridge, the policy was mini enema when got to hospital each time whether emptied bowel or not prior. Not every hospital follows this policy, you may have had your planning appt and the full procedure, enema or not, change diet or not is usually made clear then?

Peter

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 19:16

I had my SRT at Mount Vernon, they didn't give me any enemas. 

Kev.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 19:25

By the time you are about halfway through your RT sessions you will find you won't require enemas (assuming you are issued with them). By that time I was able to take a dump at will (and sometimes when I didn't will it 😬).

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 20:53
It does seem to be that requirements vary according to hospital - one factor may be the machines, the most up to date are better able to tolerate variation in rectum content. I was told to take daily laxatives (provided) which proved mostly OK and a mini-enema only when out of range.

Just do what the local hospital ask. They are very aware of the sensitivities.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 08:10

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
It does seem to be that requirements vary according to hospital - one factor may be the machines, the most up to date are better able to tolerate variation in rectum content. I was told to take daily laxatives (provided) which proved mostly OK and a mini-enema only when out of range.

Just do what the local hospital ask. They are very aware of the sensitivities.

Yes, that is very true - their machines vary in age & other factors. 
I remember at Addenbrooks, they stressed a low "Wind" diet, was the most important factor. The treatment itself, makes you want to poo more, anyway - which goes on afterwards.
As a previous said, not much of the treatment is nice - but it's probably not as bad as not being alive, if you have no treatment. 
The devil & the deep πŸ˜†

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 08:22

I was told to use the enemas for the first 10 days, after that you didn’t need them. It sounds awful but it really wasn’t…I was told just to lock myself in the toilet when I arrived at the hospital, use the enema and stay there until it worked…usually within 5 mins. It took all the anxiety away from finding a toilet when you’re desperate. Depending on how far away from the hospital you live you may be able to use them before you leave for the hospital. The Radiolologists will keep you right😊

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 18:33
The protocol I was given is to use the enema for the first 9 of my 37 sessions only.